Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

pjohn
whats up everyone,

i notice my engine temp fluctuates when I'm riding/cruising. i believe this only started after my 6000mile oil change this past weekend. for example, it would read 174 then would jump to 180 and back to 174. i remember it used to be steady at a certain temp when I'm cruising and of course it would change when i slow down or come to a stop. any input guys?

this is the oil i used

link

rider
I have 2 2015 FZ-07's and they both do the same thing, flip back and forth from 172 to 178 mostly, with no steps in between.  I just figured that whatever electronics controlled the gage didn't read or send the info fast enough, or that the steps were programmed that big.  Now I'm curious to find out why they do that.  I did try to research it some on the internet, but couldn't find anything about it.

faffi
I've seen anything from 165 to 186 during normal riding, with 176 (80C) a guesstimate average. This used to be common for cars as well back in the days, now most cars will sit exactly at 194 no matter what in my experience (90C).

ralph
Temp rises till thermostat opens this allows a glop of cool water from radiator in cools stat stat close but
not befor engine temp drops a bit, this goes on but as the water in the radiator gets hotter the effect is
less noticeable,

jkzak
mine seems happy at 81. sitting in traffic I've seen in top to 94. so bike likes to be moving haha

Beemer
Have no idea why it would do that but no matter the reason for it fluctuating while at a steady speed, I wouldn't worry about it fluctuating a little unless it started over heating. That's just me.

rick
Yep, mine does that same flip back and forth from 172-178 and has done so since new. Bugged me a bit at 1st, my other bike is rock stable at 172. Just ignore it now.

markstertt
Yeah mine does 176* to 181*F. continuously while moving, just figured it's the thermostat opening/closing. It's always done it since I've owned the bike.

pjohn
this annoys me lol. i wonder why it started doing it

rick
this annoys me lol. i wonder why it started doing it
These cooling systems are quite small in volume making them prone to little variations in temp.  
The sensor is also under the throttle bodies in the cylinder/head where you'd normally find it closer to the radiator or water pump. This may also contribute quick changes in temps.

And then there's the possibility that the computer is just reading every small resistance change the sensor/sender is providing and instead of being programmed to dampen/ignore out those wee changes, it's just telling what it sees.

Yep, it's a little annoying, but assume it's normal and just ignore it. As long as the fans come on in traffic and keep it from overheating, life is good. And keep in mind, most car thermostats are regulated up around 190F - you just never see it cause most cars only have a little pointer saying all's well w/no numbers
  • Like 3

shinyribs
If you've ever driven an older vehicle that had a quality mechanical gauge, you would be accustomed to constantly varying temps. Climbing a hill- warms up a little. Pass a car- warms up a little. Flying down the highway then instantly stop on the side of the road- warms up a little.

I'm actually very happy to see the temp gauges on these bikes are something that actually gives you real time information vs just an idiot light that shines red after everything has already went South.

Engines temps and oil pressures vary constantly, and so should the gauge reading. I really miss mechanical gauges :(

• Like 1

faffi
My car has an analogue engine temp gauge and it's never been past 90C - once warm it will sit there steadily, whether summer or winter, driving hard or cruising. I don't know if it is accurate or not, but I know it is steady.
  • Like 1

ralph
Many gauges wont even move enough for you to notice
such a small difference in reading you only notice
due to it being digital.

mossrider
Took my fan assembly off day one. More room for hands to work, less weight, less airflow restriction. Temps run between 174ish to a high of 229, mostly in neighborhood of 195. I've long since stopped paying attention to temp since it's never over heated even racing in 100+ degree temps..

20160410_152325_2.jpg

Subsequently put a gaurd in front of radiator to prevent damage and unplanned evacuation of cooling system. The gaurd did add 2 degrees to average temps tho. An acceptable trade.

20160410_152214.jpg

upload photo to website

Of course I don't sit in rush hour traffic much. I do warm motor to put heat in the bottom end before twisting it's tail and use cool down lap to ease temps before shut down.
  • Like 1

markstertt
If you look at our radiator for a minute you'll realize how poorly it 'ISN't' shrouded, the high pressure air in front can go over the top, under the bottom and around the cosmetic side shrouds and any air that goes around spoils the low pressure area behind.  The air that goes through the radiator is channeled over the top of the engine and under the fuel tank...both places you'd rather not have heated air go. This can be improved upon with a little work, no room for perfect but better is possible.

I left the fan but replaced the coolant with Evans waterless, temps may have changed a degree or two but insignificant. Evans has very low expansion and doesn't require the huge coolant reservoir so I ran it without for a while but saw a few drips out of the over flow tube so installed a small catch tank behind the right side radiator shroud. I installed the Evans for several reasons as follows:

1. no water, no corrosion
2. very high boil over temp.
3. low pressure system, easier on entire system and if you spring a leak...it's a slow leak
4. life time coolant
5. allows removal of large coolant reservoir which cleaned up the engine visual for me

Shroud swung out to show homemade reservoir with Yamaha cap, mounted with high strength Velcro,
after a ride shows about an ounce then gets sucked back in as she cools
DSCN1213_1.jpg

free image hosting sites