The MT-07 Forum

Bought an FJ-09... Now very conflicted..

topazsparrow

topazsparrow

Read about it, looked at one, sat on one. Test rode one... everything about the FJ-09 was really nice. In all respects is a better bike than the FZ-07...

It's faster, smoother, more capable, and a better all around bike. The only thing that it doesn't beat it on (IMO) is looks - but it's still not slouch in that department either.

Despite all of that, I hopped back on my FZ-07 to put it away and immediately noticed the "thrill" of that bike. The FZ has so much character and zip and it's so small and compact without looking like a scooter.... I just struggle to put into words what's so exciting about this bike despite it being arguable worse at everything the FJ-09 Does. My Girlfriend even said "The FJ doesn't feel as 'dangerous'".

What the heck is going on?

Is it worth selling the FJ and dumping the difference into the suspension on the FZ?

Sloooowww down, keep both for awhile and just see which one you end up picking to ride most often. Of course, keeping both isn't crazy ya know. My buddy has been riding a BMW F800GS for years and wanted something new so he bought a Ducati Hyperstrada only to find that he was always jumping on the BMW 90% of the time so the Duc is going on the market...very low mileage.

topazsparrow

I wish Insurance was cheap enough here to do that but it's not like the US. In Canada (and British Columbia specifically) insurance is a minimum of 130 dollars a month (I pay 148 on my FZ07 with full discounts because I have collision coverage on it).

I'm leaving for Australia for a week as well, so when I get back in October the riding season will be pretty much over. Seems silly to have to make payments on a bike over the winter when I can pay most of it off by selling the FZ-07.

Gah.. You're probably right though. I need to ride both for a good while and see which I like better.

• Premium Member

Ride the FJ-09 more...btw have you turn the TCS off yet? If not you will not get the front up- you can only turn it on or off when at a complete stop- it's turned off when it's lit up on the dash...

yes I agree the the FZ-07 does the worst at what the FJ-09 does... The biggest change for me was not feeling grunty motor behavior 24/7 on the butt dyno from the FZ-07 when the FJ-09 is smooth in the butt dyno dept

I think you and the ole lady will enjoy the FJ-09 over the FZ-07 when you start doing 2up rides/trips... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I have a 06 R1 and the 07. When I want Oh SHIT MORNING WOOD I ride the R1, when I want a smoke afterwards I ride the 07

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Global Moderator

It is funny how the spec sheet is only part of the equation. Lesser performance in a better package can be more fun. On the bright side you have two great bikes to choose between :) Good luck.

glockpointer

Sellers remorse sucks man, had it a couple of times.

I hear your dilemma, my Africa Twin gave me the same type thing to think about.

I kept both since it is cheap to do so here.

I hear you. I have my mind dead set on an FJ once I can find one for a good price. I found one recently that was nearly $2k less than any other dealer but by the time I could make it in to buy , it was already sold. No dealer (or private seller) has even come close to that. I will not keep two bikes, and I know I will regret selling the 07.

There's one on my local craigslist that I find myself looking at everyday. I can't justify having two bikes and know the FJ would be better at longer rides which is what I want to do.

topazsparrow
I hear you. I have my mind dead set on an FJ once I can find one for a good price. I found one recently that was nearly $2k less than any other dealer but by the time I could make it in to buy , it was already sold. No dealer (or private seller) has even come close to that. I will not keep two bikes, and I know I will regret selling the 07.
Its exactly why I jumped on this one. 2000 km's on the odo, it's a 2016 and it was 4000 dollars under new price. Even came with a top box. 

topazsparrow
Sellers remorse sucks man, had it a couple of times. 
I hear your dilemma, my Africa Twin gave me the same type thing to think about.

I kept both since it is cheap to do so here.
I test rode an Africa Twin and was sorely unimpressed. 
Probably a great bike if you do a ton of fire roads and or offroading, but that 1000 cc motor felt sluggish compared to the punch of my FZ-07. Pretty much every bike I've ridden doesn't pack that same in your face torque punch actually... our motors really do punch above their weight class for what they are. Yamaha nailed it.

I wouldn't say it's buyers remorese, Just indecision about which bike I prefer.

Sadly I forgot the one rule about motorbikes.... you typically fall in love with each one in it's own way.

I think I have an idea of why you feel the FZ07 has more character. I recently demoed an FZ09 and R6, and they both had a similar throttle feeling I couldn't put my finger on, and it wasn't until days after the demos that I realized it was because they both were ride by wire. There is a drastic difference in feeling between ride by wire and cable throttles- I own 3 bikes that are all cable throttles. The ride by wire throttles have this weightless/heftless shallow feeling to it. I don't know, for me, the cable throttles give a great feeling of character and weight tot he bike. I didn't like the ride by wire.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

It is funny how the spec sheet is only part of the equation. Lesser performance in a better package can be more fun. On the bright side you have two great bikes to choose between :) Good luck.
Yeah I find it kind of funny how so many on this forum own the fz-07 with the idea that's it's like some sort of stepping stone to another "better" bike.  I've ridden and owned/own a lot of these "better" bikes and then bought an fz-07 because I wanted the fz-07.  This bike is maximum fun, there's really nothing else I want from it.  The motor is great, the sounds are great, the handling is what I want, etc. etc.  I still own the race bike, but the fz-07 is the fun bike.  I even turned down an xsr900 that was an option because it just wasn't as fun.  So funny to me that all these people are looking to "upgrade", it's like they don't realize what they have.  But everybody will do their own thing.

Yeah I find it kind of funny how so many on this forum own the fz-07 with the idea that's it's like some sort of stepping stone to another "better" bike.  I've ridden and owned/own a lot of these "better" bikes and then bought an fz-07 because I wanted the fz-07.  This bike is maximum fun, there's really nothing else I want from it.  The motor is great, the sounds are great, the handling is what I want, etc. etc.  I still own the race bike, but the fz-07 is the fun bike.  I even turned down an xsr900 that was an option because it just wasn't as fun.  So funny to me that all these people are looking to "upgrade", it's like they don't realize what they have.  But everybody will do their own thing.
I agree fully but it's hard for me to not want this engine in a 300# bike with better components...street trackers and especially old air cooled twins (Brits) really excite me because it's all about the visual of those engines with nothing extra and what is there is but for one purpose...to make them go fast...stopping is optional! 

• Premium Member

Sometimes things actually ARE more than the sum of their parts, and function better than they look on paper... have I missed any relevant cliches? Hehehehe!

Topazsparrow. Where in Aus are you going?
BOTH the 09 and 07 benefit greatly from being reflashed ( A LOT!!!!). Because it is ride by wire , the 09 even more than the 07. Both of these bikes have superb motors spoilt by legislators but are fixeable. My opinion is that are both amongst the best motorcycle motors ever made.
See if you can get a ride on reflashed ones and you may change your mind about both totally.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I have been spoiled by the MT/FZ07.

Today, I rode my scramblerized Virago for the first time since I got my 07 in April. Riding it was disappointing, the issue being the engine. After the 1977 Z650, the 1100 Virago was a revelation; eager, grunty, strong. After the MT/FZ07, though, the 1100 is lazy and gutless. It still goes well and will pull from low rpm, but it feels like any other engine; smooth pickup and rpm starts to build steadily. The 07, OTOH, just jumps ahead like it's been hit by a giant bat from behind. WHAM! I think most bikes from here on will feel tame and lame, thanks to my 07. I know that when it comes time to replace it, the next bike MUST have at least as much kick as the 07.

I've ridden both quite a bit this weekend... I'm still completely at a loss.

Might just sell the FJ as it's likely to depreciate more, then save for an FZ-10 which will check all the boxes and still look cool (might even be a refresh by then).

• Premium Member

the "butt dyno" is searching for that power sensation the FZ-07 provides...

thats one thing that irked me at first with the FJ-09, but that problem is solved with regular use of LaunchControl

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
launch control? 

aftermarket feature that was included in my ECU reflash

not me but another user of the same ECU reflash product...https://youtu.be/NIl_TRa3PCc

Topazsparrow. Where in Aus are you going? BOTH the 09 and 07 benefit greatly from being reflashed ( A LOT!!!!). Because it is ride by wire , the 09 even more than the 07. Both of these bikes have superb motors spoilt by legislators but are fixeable. My opinion is that are both amongst the best motorcycle motors ever made.
See if you can get a ride on reflashed ones and you may change your mind about both totally.
Brisbane :) 

Just down the road ( OK 350km. But in Qld that is just down the road). Good time of year. It's georgeous at the moment. You visiting someone, work or just touristing?

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

My buddies dad is getting married so I got invited to spend the month. So.. touristing I suppose.

Really looking forward to it. Even lined up a bike to ride while I'm there (its a harley though, ugh).

Archived