The MT-07 Forum

my homemade airfilter stage 2 cover. Is it ok?

henwithin

image.jpg

image.jpg

Can anyone here see a problem with what I did here to the oem airfilter cover to emulate dna and mwr stage two tops? Serious question, noob here too frugal to pay 80 dollars for a piece of plastic

I marked it, drilled many tiny holes down the line then took a bit a fire to edges to smooth it out

• Premium Member

Functionally I dont see a problem. Visually.....it looks like hell. I would have done it different but, as long as it works I guess it doesnt matter. $$$ saved is always good.

• Global Moderator

I agree it is not pretty but you will only see it when the seat is off, which is seldom. It looks functional and you saved yourself a lot of money. I cannot figure out why the covers sell for so much.

WOW, butchered that up pretty good ya did! and you posted a photo and asked if anythign is wrong? OK I will leave that one alone.

Idea was good, however your skills are lacking. Let me assist in your future endevours

If I were to do this

[ol type=decimal][*]I would not had posted a photo on line and then ask if anything is wrong
[*]You should had Drilled 4 holes in each corner where the tips of the corners closes to the screws would match the corners of each square
[*]I woild had then scored "LIGHTLY WITH A BRAND NEW EXACTO KNIFE OR CARPET BLADE) using a straight edge the outside paremiter of each hole to each hole[*]I would had then scored a little deeper with that straight edge to ensure a straight and accurate cut[*]I would had used a fine coping blade to then cut along that scored edge[*]I would had then used a fine file to clean those edges up[*]I would had then had the balls to post a pretty damn good job[/ol]
But thats just little ol anal me

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I applaud your willingness to save a buck and modify your own ride...I bemoan the fact that metal, wood & auto shop are offered in very few high schools any more (if any?). 1 semester of basic hand tools use would well serve both boys and girls for life. No reflection on you henwithin, we do the best with what we've got.

I'm reminded of a time in my basic when a drill sgt. told me my rifle looked like (his favorite word) S H I I I I I I I I I I t!!!!! 

Your work will function but jeebus H, son, spend $20 on a nice Dremel.

Beemer

Enjoyed the feedback comments - mine were the same, but you don't need another kick in the butt . . .

I don't see any functional issue here, though.

Cheers.

• Premium Member

We all had to start learning somewhere. At least he's making the attempt. Too many can't even do their own oil changes these days.

Yes, I'm old. "Damn kids (anyone under 40) today!" :D

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

We all had to start learning somewhere. At least he's making the attempt. Too many can't even do their own oil changes these days. 
Turn a wrench?!! I've heard that can cause a person to have to exert physical effort and cause sweating and tiredness. Who would think of doing such a thing?  ;) 

Beemer

Turn a wrench?!! I've heard that can cause a person to have to exert physical effort and cause sweating and tiredness. Who would think of doing such a thing?  ;)
I was born a master in everything.  why when I was just 10 minutes old I changed the brakes on my moms car and lifted a new trans into that Oldsmobile when I was 6 months old.  I used my teeth as a torque wrench and drilled holes with my fingers. 
Kids these days think they are owed a mechanic and should never have to pay for one. :)

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Thanks for the honest input. I know it's ugly, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some safety issue at hand . Lol, I didnt take woodshop or go to vocational school. For eveything shoppy like this I go to youtube but I didnt find anything similar, maybe you could make a video and ill subscribe

Henwithin...I was lucky and had a dad that was a real craftsman with old world work ethics...times have changed and different skills are required today but you're really never to old or young to learn, working and wrenching on a motorcycle is a good place to start.

I would have 2 concerns with your now 'open' air box...an even leaner mixture on an already lean factory set up unless you've had an ecu flash or Power Commander etc. and you've now created a nice, cozy mouse house under your seat, you may want to keep an eye on that or install a rodent screen in case you live and park where rodents abound. I leave my dirt bike under a cover in a mountain cabin and put down Dcon bait tubs, guess where I find all the little blue pellets...yep, hidden all over my dirt bike, every nook and cranny.

• Premium Member

I applaud your efforts, but I'd say there is a reason why the DNA and MWR filter covers have smooth radius edges leading into the opening...

Just my 2 Cents

:)

- Paul

would have 2 concerns with your now 'open' air box...an even leaner mixture on an already lean factory set up unless you've had an ecu flash or Power Commander

Ive flashed my ecu a few times since the open box mod. Im having trouble finding a map that's just right. Closest one ive found is akro exhaust, dna filter with lid. Its running a bit rich and mpg is down but shes still performing much better than she was stock

Edit: On the mouse topic, Im much more likely to find a snake in my garage than a rodent, and I like it that way.

Just never reverse flow the acupuncture jet

Just never reverse flow the acupuncture jet

I googled accupuncture jet motorcycle and found nothing relevant. What is this jet you speak of?

The flow of the acupuncture jet is relevant to the overall induction of the powerband inducer.  In order to accurately measure the pressure of resistance you have to use a 4 inch papsmear

The flow of the acupuncture jet is relevant to the overall induction of the powerband inducer.  In order to accurately measure the pressure of resistance you have to use a 4 inch papsmear

Ahh I see. Reminds me of when I was a boot and went looking for some flourescent grid sqaures. Rip Corporal Latorre

All in fun ;)

So... is this recommended to open up the airflow? Because I can do this easily.

Yes, but only if you adjust the fuelling to compensate.

I applaud your efforts, but I'd say there is a reason why the DNA and MWR filter covers have smooth radius edges leading into the opening... 
Just my 2 Cents

:)

- Paul
Exactly, it looks like you'd put peanut butter on it and let your dog chew on it.  

Beemer

Archived