The MT-07 Forum

Scraping exhaust while cornering

xsrider

Is it just me or do you guys scrap your exhaust while cornering as well?

I have a Scorpion SERKET TAPER FULL SYSTEM exhaust installed and every time I take it to the canyons, I am scraping the exhaust and foot pegs (not hero blobs) on left corners. Will upload photos when I get back from work.

My suspension setting is stock and set at 7 out of 9. I am 5'10 and weigh 176 lbs. Should I go max to 9 on the setting? I heard it doesn't make much of a difference.

Am I pushing the bike to its limit? What do you guys think? 

you sure it is not your sidestand ? The footpegs bend and don't cause much trouble, but when the sidestands scrapes the bike gets unsettled (and is quite dangerous).

you sure it is not your sidestand ? The footpegs bend and don't cause much trouble, but when the sidestands scrapes the bike gets unsettled (and is quite dangerous).
Yeah, on the left corners I am scraping the pegs and foot not sidestand, the right corners are all exhaust. Will upload photos tonight!

Did it do so before changing exhaust???
That is a good question. It didn't before, but had been riding that same canyon for over a year now and I didn't ride as confident before as I do now. I am going into the corners faster and more comfortable with proper body position and throttle control.  
I have noticed, however, that the scraping occurs more frequently when I downshift and prep for the corner vs keeping the same gear and just using engine braking for the corner. Could it be the compression on the suspension? 

• Premium Member

you can remove them little pegs that hang pff the bottom of the foot pegs for more clearance... I believe we are more likely to very quickly drag the tip of our left foot if its under the shifter when hitting left handers

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

What exactly is your question? If you are scraping your exhaust, it should be pretty easy to tell. Your exhaust will have marks after the ride. If you're worried about damaging the exhaust, ride slower. If not, just keep scraping it.

"Am I pushing the bike to its limit?" The bike will lean further without a foot peg but you won't like asphalt foot. Are you on a race track? Do you have to lean so much?

Beemer

Thanks for the replies. Sorry if it seems vague. I was a bit confused myself. However, I have been doing research and I guess my question is,

Am I pushing the bike too hard and to its limit? Should I upgrade my suspension and get adjustable rear sets? I read somewhere it could be just that our suspension is just not good enough and will need upgrading.

The real answer is you are likely riding to hard for the road
and maybe should be cooling it a bit, doing a track day now
and then for a adrenalin fix, get off on the track and you
will likely walk away with gravel rash chuck it down the road
and you will likely hit something hard.

• Premium Member

I have a Scorpion SERKET TAPER FULL SYSTEM exhaust installed and every time I take it to the canyons, I am scraping the exhaust and foot pegs (not hero blobs) on left corners. Will upload photos when I get back from work.

My suspension setting is stock and set at 7 out of 9. I am 5'10 and weigh 176 lbs. Should I go max to 9 on the setting? I heard it doesn't make much of a difference.

Would be curious to see a picture. Some exhausts will have more clearance than others. Rear sets are a definite yes for aggressive riding.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

Also, Google how to measure sag and get back to me. 1.25 inches front and rear are good starting points. This is static with rider on-board.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

I lean so far over I scrape the other side of the handle bars

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member

Until you fall you are not riding too hard, in an absolute sense... BUT, in common sense, your results may varies, as they say. The street is unforgiving to you and OTHERS, hence very seldom the place for knee-draggin', imho.

Regarding your suspension question in response to my earlier post, from your description that is when you scrape, when you compress the suspension. Such may give you some idea where to start if you wish to do more modifications. But, given the way you ride, I'd simply consider going back to the stock exhaust... if that drags with your current riding style, I'd recommend easing up, or dare I suggest loosing weight? All the best, in any event.

If i get that right, you weigh about 80kg. That's about same as me. Suspension should be fine with that. I still upgraded it with technoflex gear, but I dont think its the suspensions fault......Maybe blame that big smile on your face whilst cornering haha.

the stock suspension is kinda soft and bouncy so upgrading would definitely help but your exhaust might hang a little lower than others too idk. im not quite there yet personally this bike isnt as confidence inspiring in the corners as my 600 was, but its a million times more comfortable so im good with it.

I actually scraped the stand today. Twice. Heard it, but didn't feel it. Despite the light and fairly brief gazing, the two incidents took a surprising amount of metal from the corner of the stand. Must be very thin stuff - back in the day scraping stands was something we did every second corner and they still took the abuse without too much damage until tons of scrapes had gone by.

BTW, both times I did something different: Normally, I corner with smooth motions, either with longish mild steering inputs or a rapid, but not violent input. When the stand hit today, I grabbed the bars with substantial effort for a fairly long duration - maybe a full second - which forced the suspension to compress more than usual, reducing cornering clearance. 

Back to my usual way, then ;)

• Premium Member

If the scorpion exhaust hangs lower than OEM, there's the problem if it wasn't happening on OEM...

To me some of the pictures on Google I found kinda looks like some aftermarket exhaust hang lower than OEM-

and it way eaiser to lean to the left due to traffic pattern habits

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Would be curious to see a picture. Some exhausts will have more clearance than others. Rear sets are a definite yes for aggressive riding.

Photos attached! Let me know what you guys think. I agree though, I might just have to cool it down a notch when riding in the canyons. I came from a GSXR, so mentally still thinking it's a sport bike. e8f63e8240d7bd86b54f3c738e4c94b9.jpgccf914d8a469c240bdfedc3522460633.jpg

If i get that right, you weigh about 80kg. That's about same as me. Suspension should be fine with that. I still upgraded it with technoflex gear, but I dont think its the suspensions fault......Maybe blame that big smile on your face whilst cornering haha.

Haha, love this reply! Agreed!

• Premium Member

Hang off the bike more. Its tough to understand how much but just send it. Its way way more than you would on a SS. The seat is wide on the 07 so you really need to get off the bike.

I have stock suspension, i wight about 110kg or 240lbs in gear and use the stock suspension. Is it ideal? NO! but it can be done with a smooth riding, smooth throttle, brakes, and staying mindful of the suspension settling.

All that said, It took me more time than I wanted it to in order to stop scraping the kickstand. It really does un-settle the bike, be mindful of it.

Lean off the bike, wayy wayy of of it. In the photos here(especially the 1st one) you can see that the kickstand is the limiting factor for ground clearance.

~Pete

Screenshot_2017_07_31_19_31_08.png

Screenshot_2017_07_31_19_29_48.png

Screenshot_2017_07_31_19_30_14.png

'16 FZ07

Thanks for that advise, botticelli. I thought I was hanging off alot already, but will give that a try!

• Premium Member

Fitting an exhaust can down there it will either be real close or scrape. That's one reason why I did mine high and then added the fugly bend so my boots don't melt. :)

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
Thanks for that advise, botticelli. I thought I was hanging off alot already, but will give that a try!
You rally have to dangle, one cheek totally off and the inside cheek sitting on the outside part of the seat. 
Feels weird but you'll look like a bad ass.

`Pete

'16 FZ07

Archived