The MT-07 Forum

My Take On Autotune For The FZ-07

CarGuy7a

So I decided to purchase the autotune module for my PCV because I was not getting the results out of the Dynojet Map I downloaded that I wanted and could definitely tell I had a giant flat spot in the midrange. I also am not running an exact setup the map was intended for (different air filter K&N instead of DNA). Also there isn't any dyno tuning shops closer than 5hrs away so what is the next best thing......Autotune. So after doing some research the consensus was I needed to weld a second bung in the exhaust for the auto tunes wideband O2 sensor because of the way the ECU handles the open loop and closed loop conditions, and also the PCV manual states to continue using the stock O2 sensor even while using the Autotune on the FZ-07. So I did a little more research on the topic and found that they sold these little thingies on ebay called "O2 Eliminators" so I did some research on those. People were saying not to buy them because they trick the ECU into running in closed loop only which in this case of the FZ07 is what we all know as "ECO mode" but on some bikes it does not matter and the O2 elims work. Yay let the fun begin. What Eco mode does is let you know the bike is being ran in a fuel efficient manner and at this time the ECU uses closed loop to achieve a target AFR of 14.7 or so for fuel economy this is definitely NOT what we want for complete control of fuel tuning. The more I dug into this the more I learned. Alot of guys on forums (not just for the FZ-07 but other bikes as well) where saying that if you want to tune with wideband tuning you want the bike to be running in OPEN loop only IE unplugging and completely removing the stock O2 sensor, replacing it with Autotune wideband and allowing it to completely take over the fueling of the bike. Now this completely contradicted what Dynojet told me to do. They told me to remove the stock O2 sensor, leave the O2 optimizer plugged in and use autotune. Well that doesn't make any sense as on the PCV instructions for the FZ-07, the stock O2 sensor is needed to allow the optimizer to work properly.

Absolutely confused at this point and stuck in a rabbit hole that was way too deep to climb back up, I reached out to forum user here by the name Norcal616 as I knew he was running autotune on his FZ-07 and get his thoughts and experience with it. He stated that he was using autotune along side the stock O2 but the results he was getting were a little lackluster and was not what he expected it to be. So I started researching other fuel controllers for this bike to see what they had to say regarding the stock O2 sensor. I came across a thread on this forum here about the Bazzaz fuel controller. Looked into the installation instructions and they state to unplug the stock O2 sensor. This is when I had that lightbulb go off in my head. They are making the bike run in open loop and letting the controller handle fueling all the time. But then I thought "won't that throw a check engine light code on the dash?". So I got my trusty service manual out and traced down the O2 sensor codes and to my surprise, it DOES NOT throw a code or indicator on the dash if unhooked. After more conversation with Norcal616 I decided against welding a second bung on my Akra Ti as it already supported an 18mm bung for a wideband but had a reducer for the stock O2. I completely removed the stock O2 sensor along with dynojet's optimizer and just taped up the O2 connector to keep moisture out. Installed the Auto tune and wideband O2 hooked it up to the PCV and made a custom AFR map.

Started testing with the Auto tune and by the 3rd ride this bike was a completely different machine. Throttle response out the butt and the flat spots were eliminated. After a few sessions of accepting trims it was easy to see how far off the map was for my climate and geographic location and it was pretty far off. No codes on the dash so far BTW for the stock O2 not being used. The first few rides I noticed a horrible decrease in fuel mileage, I burnt through a whole tank of fuel in no time. But now after about 10 rides and a few adjustments to the AFR table the auto tune is pretty much spot on and the fuel mileage has returned very close to what it was before.

So what I've learned from this endeavor is if you want to get an autotune and get the most out of it, remove the stock O2 sensor and O2 optimizer if you have one and let the PCV handle all the fueling all the time. It has made my bike a completely different beast. This thing has instant throttle response now from any RPM and it runs so much smoother and crisper.

Sorry for the long read and hopefully this will help others out......Keep the rubber side down.

EDIT: The thread I found on here regarding removing the Stock O2 sensor was NOT for the Bazzaz fuel controller, it was for the EJK fuel controller. Although the Bazzaz does also recommend the removal of the stock O2 sensor. Here's the thread https://fz07.org/thread/2178/o2-sensor-ejk

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

?

yea it been a fun adventure- learned alot also...

just using the AutoTuner to monitor the generic download maps or custom PCV maps created on a dyno is probably more than okay for most ppl to keep the engine output pretty consistent no matter...

the tricky part is running your own custom maps without a visual reference of a dyno graph from using a dyno machine to show you the difference between running 13.6 AFR in one area when it should be 13.2 for example to get a nice smooth dyno graph...

I was running the ECU flash from 2WDW for my exhaust at first.. then a few months later got the Hordpower Airbox and the PCV, then a few weeks later the AutoTuner...at first it was running meh/okay but I knew it could using some tweaking, nipping and tucking of the fuel tables...

now almost 18months later I have to send my ECU back and have 2WDW put it back to stock spec, remove the speed limiter,lower fan temps and keep the deceleration injection off rather than turn it on to lessen the engine braking...I believe the AutoTuner is reading the deceleration injection and sees the AFR got richer so it offers a "number" to trim...the more I accept the trims the worse the off throttle response got...and buy a Yoshi exhaust ?since Hordpower built his maps using the Yoshi Exhaust...

the PCV default is at 250rpm increments, way to sensitive for the FZ'07 270° fire pattern so I put it at 500rpm increments

You can run both the stock o2 sensor and wideband sensor if you tell the wideband to ignore the closed loop area otherwise they will fight each other...

I will admit it would be super helpful to see a dyno graph of the engine data rather than just AFR numbers to help me easily picture whats going on...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I that using stock o2 sensor is pointless if your trying to get the most performance outta the bike. I run an EJk w/ stock o2 sensor unplugged and I installed an aftermarket digital wideband o2 sensor and gauge. The ejk controls all fueling and my gauge shows me what's up. Instant throttle response instead and power at all times.

• Like 1

Another thought. I was watching a few videos last night of people flash tuning their ECU's and noticed on the liter bikes and most inline 4's, their ECU flashing software had the option of disabling the O2 sensor. When I watched jakethegardensnake's video again where he went into the FTECU software I noticed for the FZ-07 that option was not there unless it was under a category he did not go into. Interesting.

• 1 year later...

Krebacz. I tried to send you these in the PM's but it wouldn't let me attach them like it will in the posting section. I tried to export the AFR table but apparently the dynojet software doesn't allow it or I haven't found the option to do so, it only allows me to save the fuel and ignition map file. I guess the autotune module retains the AFR and trim tables and doesn't allow them to be externally saved on a laptop. I did take a screenshot of the table though. I do not accept any liability of what this table may do to anyone's machine but this is what is working for me and what I currently run. Keep in mind this table is adjusted with the stock O2 and dynojet's O2 optimizer completely removed from the bike. The bike will probably run like garbage the first few rides as the autotune will try to figure out what needs to be adjusted. Set the autotune's adjustment parameters to about 15 on enrichment and enleanment. Go for a ride and accept the trims table to the map file. The more you ride and accept trims the better the fueling map file will get. Start with a base map from dynojet's website closest to your bike setup as a good baseline and autotune will take it from there. As you get more rides in and the fuel map starts smoothing out, you can drop the adjustment parameters in the settings down. Mine is at 5 enrichment and enleanment right now and I do not see any changes in the trims table of more than 4. Hope this helps.

I also use dynojets POD300 datalogger to compare the AFR the bike is actually running to my chart to ensure the trims the autotune suggests is correct.

AFR 1.jpg

AFR 2.jpg

Edited by CarGuy7a

• 11 months later...

Can you send your map file with rhe adjustments made with your autotune i would like to compare the fuel tables with the dynojet pcv map i use (map for akrapovic ti + dna air filter + dna lid) i got a setup exactly the same as yours

Can you post the fuel tables/ignition tables of a map done with autotune? Pgeldz i think you were the pioneer of power commander v on fz07 on this foruns can you show your fuel map? 

• 2 weeks later...

The autotune does not make any changes to the ignition tables only fueling. As time went on with my testing since this thread my fuel tables are completely different now after using the dynojet C3 software. You can see some of the tables here in this thread of what I'm working with now. The standard PCV maps leave alot of tuning holes when using them as setup from DJ with the throttle position cells being in 10% increments. I was getting alot of really rich spots and really lean spots until I figured out how to setup the maps in C3 having throttle percentage cells every 5% or so.

• Like 1

Carguy7a thank you for replying.

From your posts i ended up buying an autotune but i need some help to make it work where do you connected the cable for the 12v energy Source?could you send a picture? 

• 4 months later...
  • Premium Member
On 2/24/2020 at 12:21 PM, Joaoduarte said:

Can you post the fuel tables/ignition tables of a map done with autotune? Pgeldz i think you were the pioneer of power commander v on fz07 on this foruns can you show your fuel map? 

Not sure why my auto notification isn't working...my apologies for the late reply.

I don't have the PCV any longer.  I sold it for a different tuning solution altogether, and never made a copy of that map.  It did run strong though, and had zero issues.  My tuner was incredible, but my new solution is even better :)

• Like 1