The MT-07 Forum

Color. Bike and gear

mtalbo

New rider. About to buy gear. I'm thinking should stay away from a black bike helmet jacket. Is a white helmet best for safety and some white or gray on the jacket. I found a used FZ07 that I like but it's black, seems like nobody will see me

• Global Moderator

I have a red and neon yellow helmet and jacket. I do not know if more people notice me but I figure it cannot hurt.

Yellow is the colour best seen by the human eye, but no proper study has been able to show a correlation between riding gear colour and accident rates.

Definitely stay away from all black. Also probably want to stay away from all white. I saw some guy wearing what appeared to be pure white leather jacket and white helmet, he sort of disappeared in the horizon every now and then. You ever see Dianese or alpinestars jacket they always have contrasting colors mixed in with their white.  Red pops.  And obviously high-vis yellow. 

Can't not notice those guys wearing full high-vis yellow...

hivis.png

Here's what my wife and I generally look like.

bernfz1.png

I can't bring myself to wear full high-vis but I generally wear white/black/high-vis mixes.

getup3.png

getup2.png

Untitled_1.png

I do own one pure black jacket but I always pair it with my high-vis yellow backpack.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• 2 weeks later...

Ya can never have enough lights to make yourself visiable
Lights.jpg

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

People that are watching out for others will see you but there's too many others that are too relaxed behind the wheel. A white helmet is high vis (it's what I have, white with contrasting black) so that would help but still not 100%. No natter what you wear you will never achieve 100% visibility to others. That's where your alertness and attention to others around you comes into play. Little mistakes and common every day things will be your teachers. My biggest one since it happens more than anything else is passing, don't ride right next to anyone. If you're wanting to pass and there's a car ahead of you that will keep you next to a car do it. Never ride right next to a car unless you're trapped there in traffic and watch them closely.

Just stay behind and to the side of that car until you can quickly pass that car completely and glance at them as you do it just in case they still don't see or hear you and decide to change lanes and turn you into a new stripe on the road. Be in a good gear when passing so that if you do have to get on it hard you won't bog down, you will bolt out of the danger zone quickly or get hard on the brakes if time doesn't permit. Also, a biggie, when you do pass don't do it real close to them, move over furthest to the left to give yourself more reaction time. It may seem like a lot to remember but actually, most of it is just common sense and auto, self preservation so you may not have to remember or practice it. Staying alert and reading & reacting to others early is the your best chance for safety out there.

Beemer

Ya can never have enough lights to make yourself visiable
Lights.jpg

I would want to hit that bike.  ::) I can't stand sickening sweet. 

Beemer

A hi viz vest can help with visibility. RevZilla has several on the site, just search for "hi viz vest". I'd go with one that is motorcycle specific and Mil-Spec, but they all looked pretty good except for the cheap mesh ones. But, I've even seen people wearing the cheap ones and they definitely stand out - the motorcycle specific ones won't flap in the wind and will probably last a lot longer. With a vest, your choice in jacket color doesn't matter, thus giving you more choices in safety, fit and comfort.

People that are watching out for others will see you but there's too many others that are too relaxed behind the wheel. A white helmet is high vis (it's what I have, white with contrasting black) so that would help but still not 100%. No natter what you wear you will never achieve 100% visibility to others. That's where your alertness and attention to others around you comes into play. Little mistakes and common every day things will be your teachers. My biggest one since it happens more than anything else is passing, don't ride right next to anyone. If you're wanting to pass and there's a car ahead of you that will keep you next to a car do it. Never ride right next to a car unless you're trapped there in traffic and watch them closely. 
Just stay behind and to the side of that car until you can quickly pass that car completely and glance at them as you do it just in case they still don't see or hear you and decide to change lanes and turn you into a new stripe on the road. Be in a good gear when passing so that if you do have to get on it hard you won't bog down, you will bolt out of the danger zone quickly or get hard on the brakes if time doesn't permit. Also, a biggie, when you do pass don't do it real close to them, move over furthest to the left to give yourself more reaction time. It may seem like a lot to remember but actually, most of it is just common sense and auto, self preservation so you may not have to remember or practice it. Staying alert and reading & reacting to others early is the your best chance for safety out there.
All this plus, always plan and have an escape route. Make sure there is someplace for you to go if somebody does something that could squish you. Don't get blocked in. If you do get blocked in, stay out of blind spots. Try to make sure the other drivers see you (which is why you started this thread anyway).

• Premium Member

IMO people will see lights before they see the colour of your gear. Lights are much more conspicuous and have less chance of becoming invisible in the riding environment like tiny blotches of colour might.
I dont have any evidence to support this claim but to me its most logical.

Consider checking out various LED pods or some "Bike-Vis" bullets etc. There are less expensive options out there than these Denali's but they're built like a tank. I have 4x mounted on the forks and I use them mainly for daytime, I also have them hooked up to a dual bar switch so I can quickly flick 'em off for oncoming traffic at night. BRIGHT!

http://www.motorcycleinnovations.ca/product_p/tt-dm.htm
https://www.motorcycleinnovations.ca/category_s/2089.htm

[attachment id=2543" thumbnail="1]

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

IMO people will see lights before they see the colour of your gear. Lights are much more conspicuous and have less chance of becoming invisible in the riding environment like tiny blotches of colour might. I dont have any evidence to support this claim but to me its most logical.

Consider checking out various LED pods or some "Bike-Vis" bullets etc. There are less expensive options out there than these Denali's but they're built like a tank. I have 4x mounted on the forks and I use them mainly for daytime, I also have them hooked up to a dual bar switch so I can quickly flick 'em off for oncoming traffic at night. BRIGHT!

Just my Buck and a quarters worth

We run the 24 hours of Lemons and Lucky Dog series.  We use full running lights.  From a race perspective I see the lights before I see the car in my mirrors.  Not science just the way the brain works I guess.  If a fast moving object is coming up say a faster car, I see its lights in side view and rear view mirrors first and make needed changes to let them by

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2017 at 1:49 AM, Mr.Puss said:

Got a call from two brothers racing yesterday.  They want to borrow my bike to test fit there new fz07 exhaust. Once they get it perfect they leave all parts on the bike.  Should be pretty cool being the first fz07 with a 2brothers exhaust. Hopefully I'll see it in the mags and on their site. I'll post some pics as soon as a get the bike back.  :)

5460013.jpg

My local Freedom dealer has an FZ-07 on their showroom floor with a 2brothers on it, they started it for me, sounded sweet.

• 2 weeks later...
attackcat109

Hi-Viz is one way to go about getting attention, but one thing that gets attention more than anything is movement and sound. A loud exhaust and a little movement in the lane can go a long way. Other movement devices are things that wouldn't care that your bike is black: helmets with LEDs on them like the shark SKWAL or blinking break-lights, or some integrated turn signals. The blinking break-light's pattern of flash can be adjusted by the resister put into the circuit, where the helmet LEDs will move when you look around or shift position. In the dark no matter if your bike is the colour of midnight or highlighter yellow, both aren't too badly seen in the dark in comparison to lights. Reflective patches are on a lot of jackets even if they aren't hi-viz.

But yeah there will come a day where someone just doesn't look and no amount of added visibility will fix that so I wouldn't sweat it so bad. Get the colour you want because once you do you will either regret or love the choice you made.

Contrast is probably best, and Hi Vis Doesn't hurt.

Movement is your friend (I don't agree about loud pipes helping anyone in front of you notice you).

If you are riding in traffic, moving from side to side in the lane helps more than anything - Drivers who look 'Through" you because of what their mind is looking for aren't looking for side to side movement, and your headlight moving from side to side breaks that cycle.

I'm not talking huge swerves, but a position change helps.

• Global Moderator

I had a dual sport bike pass me on the freeway the other day when I was in the car.  The exhaust was ridiculously loud, but I did not hear him at all as he approached.  I heard him for about a quarter mile as he pulled away ahead of me.  Do not expect noise to help you be noticed when your are riding.  

Exhaust are loud which is great, but so are car stereos so if someone has theirs on then your super loud exhaust counts for sweet f-a. Dont rely on any equipment for visibility. If you rely on someone else to care about YOUR safety then you are in for a world of disappointment and hurt. Just my $0.02

digitalsteve
On 9/3/2017 at 4:49 PM, Mr.Puss said:

IMO people will see lights before they see the colour of your gear. Lights are much more conspicuous and have less chance of becoming invisible in the riding environment like tiny blotches of colour might.
I dont have any evidence to support this claim but to me its most logical.

[attachment id=2543" thumbnail="1]

How did you run the wiring and which switch did you use, mate?

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, digitalsteve said:

How did you run the wiring and which switch did you use, mate?

This was my first experience with 12v vehicle wiring, I did it all through trial and error...if youre like me and unsure what youre doing and ultimately want to solder your connections then Id recommend using Posi-tap and Posi-lock connectors to first figure out the correct wiring so you dont butcher your harness. Sorry, not much help on this one.

The 4x Denalis were a simple plug and play affair (harnesses included) running up to this PMR dual barswitch. One switch per set of lights, I run 2 fog and 2 spots. Make sure to get the 32mm (bolt spacing) if attaching to (if I remember correctly) the brake rez. For alternate mounting there's a rear barclamp, although I'm sure one could readily acquire the appropriate rear barclamp elsewhere for much much less.

http://www.motorcycleinnovations.ca/product_p/pm-50.htm

https://www.motorcycleinnovations.ca/product_p/pm-78b.htm

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

18 hours ago, mjh937 said:

I had a dual sport bike pass me on the freeway the other day when I was in the car.  The exhaust was ridiculously loud, but I did not hear him at all as he approached.  I heard him for about a quarter mile as he pulled away ahead of me.  Do not expect noise to help you be noticed when your are riding.  

Exactly.

Just a note: THE most inconspicuous colour overall during daylight hours is grey. Particularly flat grey. It takes on the colour of the surroundings better than any other colour and is the closest thing to cloaking. It also blends with the tarmac.

All other colours can and will be blended into the background depending on the background. Even fluoro green can blend into certain foliage and grass in bright sunlight. Discovered this when we marked a MTB trail in fluoro tape and couldn't see it when the sun was bouncing off the leaves.

In Western Australia northern highways, huge red cattle are invisible against the red dirt.

Don't rely on just colour to be seen.

Dark bike at night are invisible at night from the side ( think intersections). ANY low chroma colour. Small amounts of strategicly placed reflective tape completely changes this ( silver on silver wheels and frames, red on the side of the taillight, yellow on yellow tanks) . Light weight and no air resistance. no power use.

BTW. I used to live in the tropics and have actually done a laser thermometer test on various coloured helmets in the sun. Pure white is degrees cooler than anything else. Flat black, flat dark grey, flat dark green, flat dark blue are way hotter( several degrees C) than mid shiney colours. Interestingly metal like silver is as hot as mid shiney ( not sure why because you would think it reflects more. Maybe it absorbs more in the IR band).

If you run panniers they are a great place to put colour and reflective tape. Seems to look less out of place. On the front, sides and back. Putting it on top may keep away the magpies ( joke for Aussie readers).

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I can see an exhaust helping when you are directly beside a moron who otherwise wouldn't look to see if you are there before changing lines. 

Just this morning I was beside a guy so far lounged back, he couldn't see left due to the B pillar. I was passing quickly as I usually try to do, so I was out of the way when he drifted over. Aside from this oddly specific scenario, I agree with the other comments about an exhaust only helping when it is aimed at said moron. 

cyow5,

You have a real point. I was one of those morons. I have a Subaru xv , which CANNOT be driven with the windows down ( any nor all) as it drums. I was on a freeway and wanted to change lanes. I couldn't see anything in my mirrors now matter how I moved my head , nor see anything when I turned my head. But I COULD hear a motrcycle exhaust beside me. I slowed a bit and he slid past ( in the neighbouring lane). I am extremely motorcycle aware having ridden for decades,but could not see him.  Yes he was being an idiot for riding in a blind spot ( not the best trick on a motorcycle), but sometimes you don't get a choice. If I have been less motorcycle aware ( and/or had worse sound discrimination) I would have drifted into him. ONLY the sound of his bike saved him.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived