The MT-07 Forum

OEM brake pads performance

maz20

Are the OEM brake pads sintered? Got my FZ-07 in 2015 and they lasted 12K+ miles --- but, the EBC "Organic" pads I replaced them with (which retail for much less!) seem to wearing away quite a bit after just 4K miles.

I don't ride track, I just use it as a commuter (around the pretty congested streets of San Francisco). I got the "organic" brake pads since I heard they were supposed to be "more gentle" on the rotors than "sintered" ones. But, the relative durability of OEM pads (and that the OEM rotors don't cost hundreds of dollars!) is making me question whether the "organic" is even all that helpful (or even cost-efficient!)...

Usually, more wear = better stopping power. Some feel discs should be worn out every second change of pads - that's the cost of superior brakes. Personally, I hardly wear pads or discs at all, nor do my son. I wouldn't be surprised if the pads would last 100k miles - but since I never keep them that long I will never know. On my car, after 25k miles, the discs looks like new and the pads have barely worn. I never do city riding on my bikes, while most of my driving is in or around city.

• Global Moderator

I checked my brake pads at about 12,000 miles expecting them to be close to worn out. I was surprised that they had very little wear on them. It looks like they will last me a lot longer than I thought.

I have over 20K on my pads an there's still some left. They've worked well for me and the rotor doesn't look bad either so I'll stick with the OEM pads.

Beemer

Holy cr@p. On my old 250 ninja I'd have to change the the front pad every 8k kms or so. Explains the odd look from the bloke at yamaha when i asked about them during the last service ?

Archived