The MT-07 Forum

had my first lowside at the track (video)

c0al67

Got into a left hand turn a little hot, didn't move my body enough, leaned to hard and lost the front. (at least, that's what i think happened...) My 3rd track day and was my first day in intermediate class. I got towed back to the pits, found a guy with a set of dirtbike handlebars he sold me for $40. swapped bars and was back out, only missed 1 session. the handlebars and left foot peg took all of the damage. I was glad i was able to finish the day, ran 5 more sessions trouble free, but my gopro mount broke in the crash so i wasn't able to film anymore. 

crash is after the 6 min mark if you wanna skip to it.

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A10SCKTzLTU&t=125s]

You broke your cherry! Glad you (and bike) are ok. I couldn't play vid in synchronization but it sounded like maybe something was 
dragging before you went down? Is your kickstand still on? If it is dump it before you go on track and use a rear stand instead, it can lever the tire off the ground.

Good times! Now she's got charachter.

You broke your cherry! Glad you (and bike) are ok. I couldn't play vid in synchronization but it sounded like maybe something was  dragging before you went down? Is your kickstand still on? If it is dump it before you go on track and use a rear stand instead, it can lever the tire off the ground.

Good times! Now she's got charachter.
It does sound that way, it happened so quick I couldn't tell but I was wondering if the kickstand might have touched first. I'll get rid of the stand next time just incase

[div]Nice video! Do you have a mount for a swing arm? I've seen that before and it looks pretty cool/captures what's going on underneath the bike, too. (for crash knowledge)[/div]

Beemer

• Premium Member

Thanks for sharing. I'm a noob, 3 track days so far and waiting for the time when I do the same. :)

What tires are you running?

And what do you mean by leaned too much? Were you adding a lean input, or did the bike just need to lean too much to counter centrifugal forces? Might sound like a dumb question, but I have read many say on the internet, "lean into the corner", but this counters what I have read in Lee Parks book, Total Control....

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

I mean that I didn't get enough weight off the side of the bike, so to compensate I had to lean the bike over further than I should have. I either ran out of tire, or my kickstand or peg hit the ground causing me to lose traction. You do learn into corners, but only as little as necessary, you move as much weight to the inside of the corner as possible to compensate.

• Premium Member

We had a guy at nyst this past Sunday high side a sv650. He was running in intermediate. He had to go to the hospital. :( I was admiring his bike earlier in the day and meant to talk to him about it. Nice seeing Supertwins. Mostly 4 cylinders otherwise, well and Ducatis. A lot of Ducs at nyst.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Archived