The MT-07 Forum

Track gear? inspired by Cruizin's cornering thread

nmucat

If one wanted to get preped for a track day or bike school what would one recommend full leather suit or two piece suit? Would you go perforated, standard cow or exotic (kangaroo)? I have only had my 07 for a little over a month but this sport riding thing is addictive. I want to build my skills and go faster safer. My cruiser was just a point a-b machine almost car like.

• Premium Member

Depending on the track school they'll provide leathers. At least for California Superbike School they do.

Everything went braap.

The first thing you have to do is figure out which club you will be running with, then go on there website and see what there requirements are for protective gear and bike prep.  In my experience, there is usually 3 groups. Beginner, Intermediate and the fast guys.  The control riders do a great job with newbies.....it will will be the best decision you will make as a motorcycle enthusiast and will make you a much better rider all the way around. :)

The first thing you have to do is figure out which club you will be running with, then go on there website and see what there requirements are for protective gear and bike prep.  In my experience, there is usually 3 groups. Beginner, Intermediate and the fast guys.  The control riders do a great job with newbies.....it will will be the best decision you will make as a motorcycle enthusiast and will make you a much better rider all the way around. :)
Most definitely a beginner and want this experience to make me a better rider and to have fun. MidOhio states one or two piece suites are ok but the two piece has to have "substantial" attachment between the upper and lower.  

That generally means a 360 degree zipper connector. You will also need a Snell rated helmet, which most motorcycles are unless they have built in sun visors,etc... Over the shin boots and gauntlet gloves are also a requirement. I bought a one piece leather suit and boots from motorcycle closeouts for about 500 shipped. Nice A* gloves can be had for less than 100.

Check the club's requirements about safety wiring and bike prep. You may need to drill holes in objects to wire them so they don't come loose on the track. You may need to use painters tape over turn signals, mirrors, headlights, etc..

I highly recommend doing it. You will have an absolute blast out there and everyone is pretty friendly for the most part.

• Premium Member

I come from a drag racing background. Never did a road course. But if it's anything like drag racing: you'll love it and make great friends.

Once you get to the competitive level there is drama. But that's to be expected.

Go race. Just don't take it too seriously.

-HowWorkClutch

Couple suggestions for the funnest time of your life. If you want leathers dont buy new especially if your doing this for your first time. The track might not be for you. I scored a $1000 full leather A* track suit for $400. It is in perfect condition minus the color on the butt if faded from sliding around in the seat. Lots of deals to be found on eBay! I also got XPD racing boots, Bell Snell helmet, A* gauntlet gloves, and the previously mentioned A* suit that came with a full back protector insert.

Archived