The MT-07 Forum

Grip End Causing Throttle to Stick

axemanblue

Here's a head scratcher.  

OEM handle bar, OEM grips, OEM Grip end. But when I screw the grip end in far enough it compresses something and causes the throttle  o stick. No sticking issues without the grip end, and this is the second grip end I've ordered so the sizing shouldn't be the issue.

I could put it on loosely, but I don't like that as a longer term fix. Anyone ever experience this?

• Premium Member

1. By "grip end," are you talking about the weighted bar ends?
2. Is the grip touching the bar end at all because it shouldn't be and there should be some clearance (even at full throttle engagement)? (you should post a picture of this)

Another issue may be with the throttle cable adjustment but lets make sure it's not due to one of the above issues.

Yer saying the bar end weight is rubbing on the grip on the throttle side?

If that's the case, then just loosen the clamps on the master cylinder/mirror and switch gear assembly and move them inward until the end weight no longer rubs.

easy peasy.

Thanks for the replies, riders. And yes, by grip end, I mean the weighted bar ends--for some reason that's what they're called in the Yam parts catalogue.

Clearance between the bar end and the rubber grip is fine, but upon examination the problem starts when the bar end makes contact with the tube that the rubber grip is wrapped around. So you guys may be right--I'll try sliding over the whole assembly and report back.

• Premium Member

The bottom of the throttle housing has a little pin that should fit into a hole that is in the bottom of the handlebar. Double check that.

:o  Holy simple job, Batman!  May all my moto-fixes be that easy!

i28 your message came through as I was doing the fix. I will definitely double-check that pin, which I assume is meant to hold the throttle tube in its proper place. The whole thing slid over as if not held in place at all, so something sounds off. I'll give it a peek tomorrow.

(For the record, this is the last time I let someone else put on a handlebar for me.)

Thanks again.

• Premium Member
i28 your message came through as I was doing the fix. I will definitely double-check that pin, which I assume is meant to hold the throttle tube in its proper place.

Exactly. It shouldn't be able to rotate or move left/right.

Edit: when I say bottom of the throttle housing, I mean the bottom but on the inside (you'll see it if you open up the screws. I'm calling it a "pin" but it's just a really tiny bit of plastic that sticks up.

Welp, no pin or plastic nub in sight. I removed the bar end and took a peek down the inside of the tube, and there's the hole, but nothing in it. I see am empty hole in the bar as well.

I don't even see exactly how the pin/nub fit in, nor have I found it on the parts diagram. Can you guys shed some additional light? Thanks.

Screen_Shot_2017_08_14_at_7_06_56_PM.png

No worries mate, I dremelled mine off since I use aftermarket bars and it gets in the way. Just have to periodically check for plum and watch the gap tween the throttle tube and bar end. I've had the same rub a couple times, wakes you going into turn 3 in 6th gear when the throttle don't close by its ownself!? (reminds me to relax on the controls)  Iffin it bothers you, you can pick up a new throttle assemb. cheap and fix it proper.

• Premium Member
Welp, no pin or plastic nub in sight. I removed the bar end and took a peek down the inside of the tube, and there's the hole, but nothing in it. I see am empty hole in the bar as well. 
I don't even see exactly how the pin/nub fit in, nor have I found it on the parts diagram. Can you guys shed some additional light? Thanks.

Screen_Shot_2017_08_14_at_7_06_56_PM.png

See #8 on the diagram? It's on the inside of that curve (should be around the middle). You'll see a little black thing that sticks out from inside. Fits into a hole on the handlebars.

Edit: looks like you had a straight bar at some point. If that happened then the previous owner may have grinded the little nub down to get the throttle housing to fit onto the handlebars.

Oooooh, looks like the goofy straight bar has struck again. 

Thanks again for all the assist, everyone. Looks like I'm going to tighten it all back and call this complete.  I'll be a bit more thorough in my review next time I'm considering a used bike, even from a dealer as with this.

Have fun out there.

:o  Holy simple job, Batman!  May all my moto-fixes be that easy! 
i28 your message came through as I was doing the fix. I will definitely double-check that pin, which I assume is meant to hold the throttle tube in its proper place. The whole thing slid over as if not held in place at all, so something sounds off. I'll give it a peek tomorrow.

(For the record, this is the last time I let someone else put on a handlebar for me.)

Thanks again.
would you let someone kiss you gal for ya?  Same as a motorcycle bro ;) 

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Archived