The MT-07 Forum

Why I upgeared, instead of downgeared on my FZ-07

level41

norcal,

The raw signal is from the trans. but the calibration is done in either or both the ECU and the head unit.

Would be easy enough to make a device that is custom calibrateable using the trans signal though. Someone on the forum has already done it to make an analogue speedo. The signal still needs to go to the ecu though as it uses it to do all sorts of engine stuff.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
6 minutes ago, gregjet said:

norcal,

The raw signal is from the trans. but the calibration is done in either or both the ECU and the head unit.

Would be easy enough to make a device that is custom calibrateable using the trans signal though. Someone on the forum has already done it to make an analogue speedo. The signal still needs to go to the ecu though as it uses it to do all sorts of engine stuff.

I forgot to mention... on the ABS equipped bikes the speedo is based of the rear (?)wheel ABS signal ring...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Oh you guys scared me, i thought this troll returned.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

9 hours ago, rider said:

I took a look at it and it looks like a decent deal foe a stand-alone speedometer.

I probably wouldn't have put this exact picture in the ad though...

s-l400.jpg

LMAO!! "POS"..really? hahahahahahaha

23 hours ago, phanomenal07 said:

Is there a way to adjust the speedo to read accurately after a gearing change? I want to upgear my bike since I do a lot of highway riding.

I haven't changed the gearing on this bike but I did on an old R6 and was able to correct the speedometer on it.  It took a unit I don't remember any details on that plugged in between the ECU and the speedo sensor and then had a quick procedure to calibrate.  I can see if I can find it again later when I've got more time to search the internet for it.

I side geared once, it was awsome

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

There is a thing called a speedo healer ( or something like that) that can use the speed tach signal and do some simple multiplication/division to make the speedo accurate. Seen them for cars but not for bikes but they probably exist.

Nice finds guys. If someone puts one on, a "how" post would be good. I use a GPS anyway.

• 3 months later...
AlbatrossCafe

Has anyone done a +1/-1 regear? I'm on the verge of getting new sprockets.

My problem is that I  can't do WOT in first gear. Even though I'm 220lbs, even if I lay forward, the front wheel still comes up. This gives me a lack of confidence and I find myself limiting my throttle to 70-80% in 1st.

But the other thing is that I really like how 2nd - 6th gears operate now. Do you think +1/-1 will ruin gear 2-6 for me? Will it solve my problem in first where I can't stop the wheelie at WOT?

FZ07R WaNaB
7 hours ago, AlbatrossCafe said:

Has anyone done a +1/-1 regear? I'm on the verge of getting new sprockets.

My problem is that I  can't do WOT in first gear. Even though I'm 220lbs, even if I lay forward, the front wheel still comes up. This gives me a lack of confidence and I find myself limiting my throttle to 70-80% in 1st.

But the other thing is that I really like how 2nd - 6th gears operate now. Do you think +1/-1 will ruin gear 2-6 for me? Will it solve my problem in first where I can't stop the wheelie at WOT?

I totally understand this!!! I have great respect for 1st gear on this bike, and 2nd through 6th is a poop load of fun. There is something to be said for having a functional 1st gear though. I'm at 8500 miles, so I am beginning to think about the change especially since my chain has a case of rust that came from an unknown origin (yes, I've been oiling it).

One of the combos that I have read here that has merit is +1 in the front and +1 in the rear which would equate out to a 2 tooth drop in the rear. Seems like that would still give 1st gear some kick with worrying about flipping the bike.

Thoughts?

This is about as plug and play as it can get   https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/healtech-yamaha-fz-07-14-17-speedohealer-v4/

I have a 17 tooth sprocket waiting for me to do this (+1 obviously). I'm hoping this will drop revs a bit so I'll stay in each of the middle gears a bit longer to avoid that bzzz that's right at 5k - at least on

mine.

It's been my experience with electronic speedo sensors (as in no spinning cable attached to a wheel or the gearbox), that they are pretty darn accurate compared to the old days when you could easily factor in a 10% error (if it read 70 mph, you were only going 63). My Aprilia reads high by maybe 1 mph at 100 mph. The FZ is off by maybe 2 at the same speed. Both read high and that's based on GPS by both speed and distance. My Subaru Outback reads high by about 3 mph at 70 mph, so go figure.

BTW, wot in 1st gear, not sure I see the point. If the bike actually had some real power, you'd need "nannies" cranked up to full to keep from killing yerself.

Rick, you Subie is similar error to my Subie XV ( Australian).

Considering how accurate my 2002 Aprilia is, I was a bit surprised the 1st time I put the GPS in that 2008 car. I was expecting it to be better. Considering that it's all now electronic, I don't see a reason why the error would be more than 1 or even 2%

think I'll do that front sprocket swap 1st and then if I like it, I'll invest in that Healer thing. Looks easy enough to install. 

Speaking of Aprilia, my brother just bought a Caponord 1000 and loves it massively after the first 1000 miles. Apart from the windscreen, which apparently makes for a v-e-r-y noisy rider envelope.

The old Capo and my Futura share the same FI and some other stuff. That old Rotax will never die and has loads of real usable power. 

I've now owned 3 fully faired motorcycles with moderately short screens. a 1982 R100RS and 1996 K1100RS BMWs and the Futura. Have been wearing earplugs since that R100 and my hearing is happier for it.. The barn door that was that big Lufmeister fairing on that brown R90/6 blocked so much wind, it was really quiet behind it. 

The FZ has much more wind noise now that I've added an MRA double bubble screen - it's teeny by comparison to those 3 bigger bikes, but still creates a windy ruckus compared to pure necked. 

Once I side geared and Miss geared, that happened when I was toasted, I dont remember it

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

"Video ........ or it didn't happen."

That would make my life close to non existant. I never video anything and rarely take pictures anymore. NEVER have taken a selfie on my phone.

The current obsession with visual image is disappointing.

18 hours ago, gregjet said:

"Video ........ or it didn't happen."

That would make my life close to non existant. I never video anything and rarely take pictures anymore. NEVER have taken a selfie on my phone.

The current obsession with visual image is disappointing.

Video of you being born or you didn't happen.  😉

Ha! I kid. You clearly don't understand where I'm coming from. It's the fastest 0-60 time I've heard of to date for this bike so IMO, why not record it?. I sure as heck would as proof/bragging rights.

As a matter of fact, If I thought for a second that I had the fastest 0-60 time in the world on this bike I might go so far as to give Guinness a call so they could record it.

Beemer

" Video of you being born or you didn't happen.  😉"

Considering when I was born, a video of me being born would have had to be on 8mm film or bigger....Considering they didn't let fathers into birthing areas here until the 70's, you have single handedly massively reduced the population of the world by a giant margin.

I think you may have stumbled on the answer to global warming. I think there is a alternative reality novel in there somewhere...

When I converted to a 520 chain I went with a 17 x 39. I like it. Though if I were to fine tune it, I'd go up no more than 1t or 2t  in the rear or get a 16t in front (40t and 41t are hard to find though). The only downside its harder to wheelie. 

My favorite gears are 2nd and 3rd. I find I dont "have to find"  the gears as much as I do stock gearing. 

16/40 might be a bit harmonic ( simple ratio of 2:5 could mean uneven wear a little quicker)

• 2 months later...
  • Global Moderator
On 5/11/2018 at 4:43 AM, rick said:

This is about as plug and play as it can get   https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/healtech-yamaha-fz-07-14-17-speedohealer-v4/

I have a 17 tooth sprocket waiting for me to do this (+1 obviously). I'm hoping this will drop revs a bit so I'll stay in each of the middle gears a bit longer to avoid that bzzz that's right at 5k - at least on

mine.

It's been my experience with electronic speedo sensors (as in no spinning cable attached to a wheel or the gearbox), that they are pretty darn accurate compared to the old days when you could easily factor in a 10% error (if it read 70 mph, you were only going 63). My Aprilia reads high by maybe 1 mph at 100 mph. The FZ is off by maybe 2 at the same speed. Both read high and that's based on GPS by both speed and distance. My Subaru Outback reads high by about 3 mph at 70 mph, so go figure.

BTW, wot in 1st gear, not sure I see the point. If the bike actually had some real power, you'd need "nannies" cranked up to full to keep from killing yerself.

I have bought and tried this speedo healer, it doesn't work

RevZilla had it, bought it, installed and tested using a lidar gun and neighbor(state motorcycle trooper)

If anything it made the speedo off by a higher percentage than just changing gearing

I went -2 on the rear and the stock speedo was off by 1mph at 60 indicated( read 61) and 2mph at 80 indicated (gun read 82)

Not sure if this is just my bike but when the speedo healer was installed it read 68 on the gun at 60 indicated and 84 on the gun at 80 indicated

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Archived