The MT-07 Forum

What bike did you own before upgrading to your FZ-07 ?

Guru

• Premium Member
My 76 CB550. Fun little bike. I didn't want to lose the light weight, low center and nimble handling, but do want a more comfortable commuting/touring bike. That's why I'm going with the 07. 
6to5qs.jpg
That's a beaut! I was definitely considering going with a CB before the FZ07 came out.  I was too afraid I'd have trouble with maintenance or finding parts though...

Anyway, still own my 2013 CBR250R.
The GF is learning how to ride again (It's been 7 years since she got her M license), and now that I have the FZ, she is all set to go!

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I came from a 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 Special Edition....

6b271cf591f1c917ea25288c23402b58.jpg

And sold it shortly after acquiring the FZ... I absolutely loved that bike and was heartbroken to have to let it go....

But I kept my other toy which is a 2014 Honda Grom

f3bdc4216cb322fffc42124a7d127b33.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2015 Yamaha FZ-07
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300
2014 Honda Grom

• Premium Member

Thanks, it was a good bike but it's hard to beat the 07. The CBR should be great for her though.

Everything went braap.

2010 Triumph 675 Daytona. I was tired of my back hurting, numb palms and hot seat and legs. Besides, it was a little overkill for a commuter bike in the city :)  Sold on consignment by the Yamaha dealer and now waiting on my FZ07. It did get a lot of positive comments and was pretty reliable.

I had an 06 Husky SM610 and an 06 Ninja 650R. Sold them both and traveled through Central America for months.

That SM610 was a ridiculous motorcycle. A 2x4 with an engine.

• Premium Member
Erik Buell is awesome and HD is stupid. If Buell was still in business they would be raking in the cash right now as naked bikes are very popular as the 09 and 07 show. I love the latest bike he has built, its just a little too much for me . Now if I was a total track junky, id buy one in an instant 
Kudos to Yamaha for jumping in and creating 2 amazing bikes at a killer cost at the right time.

Ugh. I want to like what Erik builds but having owned his Rotax powered monstrosity I just can't. His bikes are poorly engineered and very delicate. Valve adjustments require engine removal. The rear wheel wasn't fixed until 2010... I think a total of five were built. That perimeter brake seems like a great idea but it's fundamentally flawed (heat issues and constant gunking up thanks to the small distance between pad pairs). Having rear wheel bearings go while you're having a brisk ride is pretty scary stuff.

He pushed the envelope and tried new things. Some if which we are just now seeing on other bikes. Honda has a perimeterish front brake. Everyone is doing under slung exhausts. Erik defiantly made an impact on the industry.

But the 1125 was a death trap and a nightmare to work on. I own one. I put 30,000 miles on it and kicked a lot if butt on th drag strip with it.

-HowWorkClutch

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

1998 Triumph Adventurer 900.  Loved that bike and had to sell 2 years ago to fix the wife's van.  Pic is from the day I had to put her up for sale, not very happy.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f118/guerro501/DSCF3144_zpsc839e6af.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f118/guerro501/DSCF3138_zpsff7d3334.jpg

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

howworkclutch
That is only 1 bike out of a very successful line he had created. I did hear similar issue from other owners on that model. I personally did not like the styling. I think that was his first attempt at breaking away from using anything even remotely HD related.

I owned a 2003 XB9SX and a 2008 XB12R
My friend still owns my XB12R

They were pretty bullet proof. Not quite as reliable as the japanese bikes, but way better than anything HD put out and super cool.
I like my FZ-07 because it feels just like my Buells did

• 3 weeks later...
aircraftelectrician

I've owned a few bikes over the years, starting with a '76 Suzuki GT550. The 2 stroke triple was a great engine, but the brakes and suspension just couldn't keep pace.

Next was a '96 Ninja ZX11 that was bored and stroked to 1480ccs. That thing was a beast, 3rd gear power wheelies at over 85mph. I sold it after my last ticket and the insurance company canceled my policy.

Then life happened, I joined the Air Force, got married, etc. and was without a bike for a few years. I got deployed to the middle east a and while I was gone my wife bought a bike for me. When I got home she surprised me with a showroom condition 1980 Honda CX500D. I rode that for 5 years until an SUV pulled out in front of me and I totaled the bike. Recovery kept me from riding for nearly 2 years.

Once again, I deployed to the middle east, and bought an old Goldwing when I got home. I found a 1982 GL1100 for a great price and completely restored it, but I wanted something sportier.

So, the Goldwing got traded for a 2006 Kawasaki Concours, which I still have. It's a great bike, but I changed jobs and no longer commute 35 miles each way, and the Connie's 730 pounds started to get to me just going across town. The search for a lighter bike started when the wife bought her Suzuki LS650 and I remembered how much fun lighter bikes are.

That search led me to the FZ07, and I couldn't be happier.

ATGATT-A helmet saved my life on 10-01-07!

Dear Ol' Dad forbade me to have a motorcycle until I graduated from H.S. and moved out of the house. Listed in chronological order from H.S. to present:

1st Bike: Used 1977 Kawasaki KE175 -- destroyed (no wonder Dad wouldn't let me have a bike -- I got struck by an 18-wheeler from behind while riding to work!)
2nd: Used 1973 Honda CL350 Scrambler -- sold
3rd: Used 1977 Harley Davidson SXT125 -- sold for scrap (Italian made pile of sh*t!).
4th: Used 1980 Yamaha YZ400 -- sold
5th: Used 1976 Kawasaki KH250 -- sold (smallest of the Kaw 2-stroke triples -- sounded like a [em]Dremel[/em] tool).
6th: Used 1979 Honda CT90 -- sold
7th: Used 1988 Honda XL250 -- sold
8th: Used 2003 Harley Davidson FLSTF (FatBoy) -- sold
9th: New 2005 Yamaha FZ1 -- sold (speeding tickets galore and first bike I bought brand new).
10th: New 2006 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe -- sold (second bike I bought brand new).
11th: Used 2007 Suzuki DR200SE -- sold12th: New 2015 Yamaha FZ-07*
*Current Ride

howworkclutch That is only 1 bike out of a very successful line he had created. I did hear similar issue from other owners on that model. I personally did not like the styling. I think that was his first attempt at breaking away from using anything even remotely HD related.

I owned a 2003 XB9SX and a 2008 XB12R
My friend still owns my XB12R

They were pretty bullet proof. Not quite as reliable as the japanese bikes, but way better than anything HD put out and super cool.
I like my FZ-07 because it feels just like my Buells did
After my first ride on the -07, I realized it was the spiritual ancestor to the Buell S1 and Honda Hawk GT rolled into one bike. A great compliment indeed!

• Premium Member

In order -

1987 Kawasaki Ninja 500 - Traded for a car
2003 Honda Shadow 750 - sold....hardtail, ouch
1994? Suzuki Katana 750 - sold
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - sold...FUN
2010 Yamaha V star 950 Tour - sold...did not like that bike, very underpowered
1993 Honda CBR900RR - sold....my favorite
2015 FZ07!

Check out my FZ07 YouTube Channel!! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClbkk7kPsXp-lhZ_XD_aFPQ

2007 Ducati Monster 695 traded
2011 Ninja 650r  (which I got for the Monster) ---- Sold Ninja
2007 FZ6 --- Traded in on the FZ07 - Never bonded with the FZ6 :(  didn't like the 4cyl power ..not much down low and then at 6200 rpm to red line it went all nuts.  
2014 Fz07 --- back to a nice twin power lots of torque.   When I first saw the bike on the show room floor....everything went into slow motion and I heard the song dream weaver in my head and realized there is such a thing as love at first sight LOL :)  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived