The MT-07 Forum

Passenger seat needs more grip!

qjohnson

As stated I think the passenger seat could use some more grip. Every time I hit the brakes or slow down my girlfriend slides right into me. Its quite annoying and actually makes riding with a passenger unpleasant.
Anyone have any home remedy's for making the passenger seat grippier without ruining it?
I know I can take it to a shop and get it redone but I was wondering if there is any other cheaper alternatives to try first before I bring the seat in.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
As stated I think the passenger seat could use some more grip. Every time I hit the brakes or slow down my girlfriend slides right into me. Its quite annoying and actually makes riding with a passenger unpleasant. Anyone have any home remedy's for making the passenger seat grippier without ruining it?
I know I can take it to a shop and get it redone but I was wondering if there is any other cheaper alternatives to try first before I bring the seat in.
How much experience does she have being a pillion rider? When hubs and I would ride two up, at first every time he slowed my helmet would clank into his. (I'll bet that was annoying) As I got more experienced I learned how to be a more skilled passenger. And it does take skill, you can't just sit there. If her butt is actually sliding on the seat, maybe she could sit on something grippy like the non sliding thing for under rugs, maybe cut a piece to fit on the seat.

Illegitimi non carborundum

.....at first every time he slowed my helmet would clank into his.
The FZ-07 not having handles for the passenger is certainly not helping. Then, this is typical for that kind of bike.
Cruisers offer a better option if you carry passengers for long periods of time. For street fighters, crotch rockets and lighter bikes, its a lot more challenging and only worth carrying passengers for small trips.
I kind a like the helmet "clank", it reminds me I have a passenger and she is still there.

As stated I think the passenger seat could use some more grip. Every time I hit the brakes or slow down my girlfriend slides right into me. Its quite annoying and actually makes riding with a passenger unpleasant. Anyone have any home remedy's for making the passenger seat grippier without ruining it?
How much experience does she have being a pillion rider? When hubs and I would ride two up, at first every time he slowed my helmet would clank into his. (I'll bet that was annoying) As I got more experienced I learned how to be a more skilled passenger. And it does take skill, you can't just sit there. If her butt is actually sliding on the seat, maybe she could sit on something grippy like the non sliding thing for under rugs, maybe cut a piece to fit on the seat.
Two good points, first being experienced and alert participating passenger.  The grippy thing is what I used under my old bikes tank back.  It protects the surface and has additional grip.  It may work very well under your pillions butt  ::)  Oh and don't ever use armor all on your seats.  I did that on my old bike; it's like sitting on a block of ice.... not fun!  ... lol 

• Global Moderator

I had a friend Armor All his tires. They looked great...until he came to the first corner. Needless to say he did not do that again.

She's not too experienced. She's never been on the back of a bike before I started taking her for rides this summer. Haha and yeah I definitely do get the helmet clank every once in a while. But she's gotten better at that. She used to clank my helmet every time I was coming to a stop and now it's only once in a while. I told her to try and use her feet on the pegs to help with the sliding but I don't think there's enough leverage for her to stay in place. I believe her butt is actually just sliding on the seat. The thing for under rugs sounds like a good idea. I may have to give that as shot.

.....at first every time he slowed my helmet would clank into his.
The FZ-07 not having handles for the passenger is certainly not helping.
Technically, it does.  How good they really are... Meh.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• 4 months later...
  • Premium Member

I used to have an FZ6 with the banana seat. It helped that the bike had side grips for my wife but she would still slide forward and push me into the tank.
It took some training and coaching to get her to be more alert and anticipate stops and all.
The rug grips sounds like a good fix.

• 3 weeks later...

Look at Seat Concepts, I have bought a few seat covers and foam to improve comfort, my currect bike with a seat concepts seat foam and grippy cover, works great, the seat foam that seat concepts made gets rid of the forward slant, and the foam is not as firm as the oem which is more comfortable, for longer rides, the grippy seat cover provides a good grip and i no longer slide forward at every stop.

I see that Seat Concepts has a seat kit in their coming soon, for the FZ-07, they will do a group by as that is what we did on another site for another bike but they need a certain quantity the price would be cheaper for a group buy.

site
http://seatconcepts.com/

Seat Concepts does not make a seat cover for the FZ-07. They were gonna become a supporting Vendor but decide that their system wouldn't work with the FZ-07 seat.

I am still working on adding a Seat Cover Supporting Vendor, will let you know when I have one lined up.

Archived