The MT-07 Forum

rebuilding my 2015 after nasty accident

silasbaum

hey everyone, so I crashed my 2015 FZ07 just over two years ago and I haven't had the means or opportunity to fix it until now. I had a friend take off most of the broken stuff from the accident, now I just have to replace it all.

The problems I have are:

1 What do I need to do to get a new key.... the original is no place to be found and I don't have the key pin needed to order new ones. is it cheaper to just replace the ignition, tank cap, and seat lock? or go to a locksmith? or is there another option?

2 I have very little experience working on bikes and this is the perfect opportunity to learn. I know mostly what is needed to replace.
both front forks
rubber for the front tire
handlebar(not everything, just the handlebar itself)
headlight
blinker mounts (I have the actual blinkers if they can still be used)
radiator
exhaust manifold
and various cables and hoses on the front end

everything from the edge of the frame back is brand new, and no frame damage, luckily.

I have no idea where to start and am feeling a little overwhelmed with the whole project. Any and all advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated. 

If you want to hear the story of me crashing my bike after only putting 50 miles on it (hence everything not broken being brand new) just ask. Also, I live in the Norfolk Virginia area if anyone lives nearby that could offer technical expertise.

gratefully,

Silas
I don't have photos of the bike right now but I will try to add some shortly

Well the good news is that your bike is already FUBAR, so you can't really hurt it any more than it is. One overlooked thing is not having the right tools for the job, so make sure you do if you plan on tackling this yourself. Definitely scoop up a torque wrench so you don't overtighten stuff.

The bars, blinker mounts and exhaust are pretty simple - shouldn't have much issue there. There are plenty of youtube videos showing exhaust installs. If it were me, I would drop the forks to give you easier access to do the radiator work. Install the radiator and then follow the manual for changing coolant. If you are using different coolant than what was originally in the bike, make sure you flush the remaining coolant out of the system with distilled water so you don't mix two different types of coolant. Have a reputable bike shop or dealer mount the tire on the wheel for you. I'll let someone else address the fork issue as I have never replaced them.

Re: your key issue, I would call a locksmith first as they are usually (in my experience) cheaper than the dealership. Most locksmiths will do house calls for an extra charge.

I've never replaced forks but maybe this video will be helpful. The guy makes it look easy to me. You will need the right stand for the job of course.

[video src=https://youtu.be/Iljm2dwdokw] GL!

Beemer

As far as I know the 07 has a chipped key. That means that, without the key, even a locksmith that can cut a key AND flash it for the code pickup, may not be able to do it for you.
If you have the code that came with the original key ( which you hopefully took off the key and stored it safely away) , the dealer may be able to get you keys and recode them to the ECU/instrument panel. Not sure. Otherwise you may have to get new keys/ecu/tank lock etc and have them flash matched.
Hopefully I am wrong about this but I suspect not.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member

From the sound of things, these are my suggestions: 1) buy the Shop Manual first thing and save yourself innumerable headaches; 2) given your expertise level, or lack thereof, see if you can find someone with some (and, with tools) to help you, or at the least to get you started--hands on; 3) don't rush, double-check everything--at least; 4) have a protected, dedicated place to work so you can leave it as is; and 5) expect the job to take longer and cost more than you expect.

And, NO, I REALLY don't want to hear/read another crash story, thanks!  ALL THE BEST!!!

As far as I know the 07 has a chipped key. That means that, without the key, even a locksmith that can cut a key AND flash it for the code pickup, may not be able to do it for you. If you have the code that came with the original key ( which you hopefully took off the key and stored it safely away) , the dealer may be able to get you keys and recode them to the ECU/instrument panel. Not sure. Otherwise you may have to get new keys/ecu/tank lock etc and have them flash matched.
Hopefully I am wrong about this but I suspect not.
I have 2 2015 FZ 07's and have had keys made for both. The new keys are all just plain keys (no chip) and work fine. I live in the US, but I believe the keys are chipped in European markets.

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOO! Thanks for that. Maybe the Aussie ones aren't chipped to. Worth finding out.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Don't worry about being overwhelmed. Make a list of what you can see needs doing and pick the easiest thing to start - getting started can be the hardest part. There's a guy on YouTube (Nima Tech) that crashed his FZ 07 and fixed it himself. He had little to no mechanical experience and no tools when he started. He just studied and learned and got it done. I'm not recommending or endorsing his channel or methods (some of his vids can make experienced mechanics cringe), just pointing out that you can handle it.
If you get stuck, this forum has some really good people on it to guide you and answer questions.
General Creighton Abrams (the guy they named the Abrams tank after) said, "When eating an elephant, take one bite at a time".

I wrecked my bike as well. The ignition was destroyed in the accident but I was able to wire up a rocker switch to turn it on and use the stock start button.

Archived