The MT-07 Forum

automatic canceling turn signals

stvar

Ok. I received item and during weekend i had time to install it. It took me less time than i expected. approx 30 minutes. 
I only had to take my headlamp off (2 screws), and behind there is all the wiring you need for installation. All the colours were provided in manual (chocolate, dark green and brown/white). I had to distinguish between handlebar side and motorcycle side but i followed the manual and i had no problems. I asked the company if they could give me manual for my motorcycle and they replied me with MT-07 installation manual, but basically it is the same motorcycle.

After that i had to modify the switch, which again took me 5 minutes. 2 screws and take the thinner foam pads. I tried with bigger foam pads first but they didnt work.

Turn ignition on, you will see left, right blink after that the system is ready to go. You can always cancel it manually (which in video says it cant be done). My first impression is that it is amazing. Never misses the turn, and the system even recognizes lane changes, not on a highway but i guess that is too much :) if it doesnt cancel after lane change it will cancel after 10s (cant tell for sure how long) and it doesnt cancel when you are not moving. I tried to fool the system few times, but i really couldnt.

Now i can laugh at those who have turn signals always on :)
Another question... 

After the system has cancelled the signal, do you need to manually do the cancel push before using it again in the same direction?

I took the power and the ground from my day running light so i get the unit powered when i turn my key.  
And no, you dont need to push reset before using it again. With the package you receive small foam pads which are inserted into your switch to prevent internals to latch. And after that push to reset doesnt have its function any more

I found it on Amazon, its a bit cheaper:
link

• Like 1

Another question... 

After the system has cancelled the signal, do you need to manually do the cancel push before using it again in the same direction?

I took the power and the ground from my day running light so i get the unit powered when i turn my key.  
And no, you dont need to push reset before using it again. With the package you receive small foam pads which are inserted into your switch to prevent internals to latch. And after that push to reset doesnt have its function any more

I found it on Amazon, its a bit cheaper:
link

Thank's for the reply. I ordered from the companys website and expect to have it in a couple of days from now.

Where did you put the unit ? It has to point to the direction you are driving, and the cord is short and stiff.
I mounted it just behind handlebar under the plastic on the left side so it is hidden and doesn't affect turning handlebar since all the wiring was done under the dashboard. 

• Global Moderator
Got mine today and hope to find time to install tomorrow

Could I talk you in to doing a "how to" on the install? I am sure people would like to see that.

• Global Moderator
Could I talk you in to doing a "how to" on the install? I am sure people would like to see that.
See last post on the first page.

Oops, I missed that. Thanks.

See last post on the first page.
I will report from the install and later review the thing

It's in and it really works very well for turning the signals off when it should. The only setback is that the contol to turn them on seems sometimes unresponsive and I have to do it twice, will see if that can be fixed.

It's in and it really works very well for turning the signals off when it should. The only setback is that the contol to turn them on seems sometimes unresponsive and I have to do it twice, will see if that can be fixed.
You know you can adjust the foam pads size to adjust the responsiveness of your turn signal switch... Just saying :)

You know you can adjust the foam pads size to adjust the responsiveness of your turn signal switch... Just saying :)
Yes, I contacted them and got tips about this, will try.

My Auto Thumb Signal canceler works awesome

• Haha 1

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

On 2017-09-06 at 0:08 PM, bugeyes said:

Yes, I contacted them and got tips about this, will try.

I messed with those foams on sunday.

The smaller ones was not enough to always push the control back to neutral position, when that is not done I need to do the cancel move before I can activate it in the same direction again. The bigger ones too much and made it impossible to activate the signal. I tried different cuts shaving off a little each time from the big ones but did not get it to work perfectly, ended up with foam confetti.

Found a piece of foam from a package that I started elaborating with, this foam was softer and I cut bigger pieces and it immediatly solved the problem. The softer foam expands enough to push back the control and compresses enough to activate the signal.

I love having the thing and it works surprisingly well. I will over the winter hibernation solder the connections as it's bulky with all those connetors and it was hard to get the headlight back on.

The electrical installation was not too difficult, most of the time used was spent on getting the headlight back in place and adjusting those foams. You will need a DC voltmeter to figure out which one of the cables to the running light is +12V as both of the cables is black. That was the only use I had for the multimeter on this installation, the rest was in the instructions. I took pictures during the work and if anyone have use for them I can post them.

• 10 months later...
  • Premium Member
Littlebriar

Just installed the safer-turn device on my '17 FZ-07. After a couple simple issues, the system is working very well. This device is really smart and cool. The price has dropped to $99. It has accelerometer, gyroscope, and motion detector so it knows what you're doing. It recognizes lane changes, turns, even roundabouts. I agree with the OP, it's hard to believe a cancelling turn signal isn't on the bike.

Installation is straight forward but I changed the wiring method to reduce the bulky butt connectors. You basically intercept the 3 wires coming from the switch and install the device in-line. That makes 6 butt connectors plus the power and ground for a total of 8 connectors. It's difficult the get all this stuffed back in behind the headlight. I just soldered the connections and used shrink wrap instead of using the connectors. Made it much easier to get everything back together. I initially got my power from a programmable distribution box I installed when I first got the bike. The system worked initially but quit after I rode the bike a few miles. I contacted safer-turn and they responded quickly with a suggestion to use a different power source. They suspected a poor ground connection. I switched it to the auxiliary outlet under the tank. System works flawlessly now. I love it.

I installed the module next to the regulator on the left side. I just used some super strong velcro. Picture is attached.

20180720_172117 (Small).jpg

• Like 2

Steve, 2017 Yamaha FZ-07, 2016 BMW 1200RT, 2019 Ducati Monster 1200s - Harbor Beach, Michigan

$150 was too high for my needs. $99 sounded much more interesting. The site didn’t work correctly in iOS or IE11 but when I used Firefox, I was able to enter my bike mfr/model/year which, along with my email, provided a 10% discount code “MINUS10”.  For $89.10 shipped, ordering was a no-brainer. My credit card wouldn’t approve a charge billed from Slovenia so I had to use PayPal.

Amazon has it for $99 with the benefit of two-day shipping.

• Like 1

I was tortured by the Japanese during the war, Jack. Not a pretty story. Strange thing is they make such bloody good cameras.

It seems like a good product but when I think about it I realize I've never had a problem over my turn signal being left on for too long, it never caused an accident or even a near one. The way I see it, if someone sees it flashing and I don't turn at least it drew their attention to me and getting noticed on a bike is a good thing. Maybe I'll start riding with my hazards on like some people do, that always gets attention. I kid 😉  but it's not a bad idea for when riding in the rain or foggy conditions.

Side note: I've never seen so may letters of the alphabet in place of pics/avatars in my life! Hi, I'm S, hello, I'm W! Edit: Well, as they say … "If you can't beat'em, join'em!" I'm finding some choice letters, too!

Beemer

• 8 months later...
HoosierInBayern

For those who have nanaged to install the Smart Turn, how did you manage to cram all of those connectors under the plastic cover? I gave up after a few hours.

• Like 1

With utter difficulty Hoosier :)

However it was worth it, had this thing all last season and love it.

Been meaning to solder the connections but havn't got around to it yet.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
Littlebriar
On 3/22/2019 at 2:15 AM, HoosierInBayern said:

For those who have nanaged to install the Smart Turn, how did you manage to cram all of those connectors under the plastic cover? I gave up after a few hours.

I know I'm late in responding to your question but I solved the problem by soldering the connections and then using shrink tubing to seal them. I didn't use the butt connectors.

Edited by Littlebriar
reword something
  • Like 1

Steve, 2017 Yamaha FZ-07, 2016 BMW 1200RT, 2019 Ducati Monster 1200s - Harbor Beach, Michigan

HoosierInBayern

Thanks, I think that's what I'll have to do. More secure in any case. Save it for a winter day.

Edited by HoosierInBayern