The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 vs FJ-09

norcal616

• Premium Member
Me think @norcal616 needs to try aftermarket on his FJ. *grin* But he is correct that while the FJ isn't great by a long shot, it's worlds better than the 2014-16 FZ09 and of course the FZ07.
im all for trying aftermarket suspension on my FJ-09... just need some free suspension trial samples ? ... picking the right aftermarket suspension for me is like a Whitmans Sampler pack of chocolates sitting in front of me

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

@norcal616, actually that can be arranged. I've got a guy in Georgia evaluating various stuff.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

update on front sprocket

stock is 16T

over a week ago I installed an aftermarket 15T front sprocket

main reason was I felt the motor was tad lazy in picking up the rpms in the lower ranges around 2k rpms...

now Im kinda kicking myself for not doing it way sooner...

now the rpms pick up much more lively from the lower rpms ranges...

I also noticed the front end stays down better compared to the stock gearing when I get on the throttle (reminds me of a lesson/trick I learned years ago in drag racing to combat the front end of a car coming up too high and draging the bumper, the solution was to turn the boost up a bit to let the tires spin a bit to break a bit of traction)

- the overall normal motorcycle vibrations felt dramatically reduced, I did not have any complaints about the normal FJ-09 vibrations prior but the reason for the dramatic reduction in vibrations was the aftermarket sprocket has no rubber noise damping thingmajiggy

mpg went down approx 3mpg* (Im still in 4th gear cruising at 55mph with shift points either at 7k or 9k depending on my mood ?)

overall even the stock front sprocket should be replaced with an aftermarket reg ole plain jane sprocket... that rubber noise damping thingmajiggy is my belief as to why ppl think the FJ-09 has too much vibrations and ignore the stock front sprocket and do everything from adding grip puppies, big ole rubber foot pegs, anti-vibe bar ends, filling the handlebars witb BBs in some combination and are still chasing the vibrations they hate...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

15 tooth front would also relax the chain which from the factory/dealer is banjo tight.
I haven't forgotten about you re: suspension trials.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member
15 tooth front would also relax the chain which from the factory/dealer is banjo tight. I haven't forgotten about you re: suspension trials.
I agree the factory chain spec was banjo tight...I put my chain slack on stock gearing @ 1" and did the same for the 15T front sprocket after I tried approx 1.5" of slack and I felt the chain kinda jerk when the wheel and sprocket speed are slightly slower than each other?(or its the QS kill time?) when using my QuickShifter.. going any smaller in front sprock size will drag the chain all day on the swingarm guide 

as for the suspension trials, no need to rush, it can be done when its convenient for you with and I appreciate the opportunity to do trials on the FJ-09 suspension and to learn more about suspension in general...

I've been flrting with the idea of ditching my FZ for an FJ 09 for some longer, more comfortable riding. I got some handlebar risers and am going to have my seat redone to see if that helps at all.
If you're looking for more comfort you may be interested in this and it ain't too expensive. 
http://www.astechseat.com/

Beemer

I've been flrting with the idea of ditching my FZ for an FJ 09 for some longer, more comfortable riding. I got some handlebar risers and am going to have my seat redone to see if that helps at all.
If you're looking for more comfort you may be interested in this and it ain't too expensive. 

I actually had them do my seats. It should be waiting for me when I get home from vacation so we'll see how the butt feels then!

I actually had them do my seats. It should be waiting for me when I get home from vacation so we'll see how the butt feels then!

Awesome, good for you! It should be an improvement. As to how long you will be comfortable in the saddle is yet to be seen. Every butt is different. Mine is sassy, ha!  P-)  

Beemer

• Premium Member
Every butt is different. Mine is [strong]G[/strong]assy, ha!  P-)
There. I fixed it for you. :D 

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

typical cockpit view thru helmet:
6'1" rider...

20170821_065722.jpg
FZ-07

20170821_065805.jpg
FJ-09

Every butt is different. Mine is [strong]G[/strong]assy, ha!  P-)
There. I fixed it for you. :D
That hurt my feelings.... 
[video src=https://youtu.be/EuJzSTNDUGI]   (rofl)

Beemer

• Premium Member

Update about the 2017+ FJ-09

when I first started this thread the 2017 FJ-09 was a PITA with clearing check engine codes, which required a dealership to do- if you had the pre-2017 you could clear the codes via the dash

there is a solution available that requires a OBD2 CAN scanner and a 4wire Yamaha connector and some wire splicing of the ODB2 cable- this will allow you to clear codes but not have the ability to set/fine tune the Accelerator Pump Sensor(free mod) that the pre-2017 bikes can do

Archived