jamesnorwood860

Handlebars

RRR
2 hours ago, Old Man said:

I'm going with clip-ons. 

I'm interested in going clip ons once I get some rear sets sorted. How are you going about the dash relocation?

Old Man
6 hours ago, RRR said:

I'm interested in going clip ons once I get some rear sets sorted. How are you going about the dash relocation?

I'm looking at Woodcraft clip-ons. There is no relocation. YouTube has a video of the uninstall and installation.

fhilliard41

I've ordered a set of Ace bars from AlphaMoto on Amazon which I plan to shorten two inches on each side. That should give me a total width of 23 1/2 inches, much closer to actual clip-ons in width but not as low. Judging from the pictures of Ace bars on a BSA A65 Clubman, the height should be exactly even with the stock Yamaha clamps. This should have the advantage of pulling my arms in and leaning me forward, putting more weight on the front wheel. All to the good. I'll post a picture when I get it installed. 

emperor_Wurm

I have searched on this topic only to find what NOT to buy. 

Can anyone recommend a set of risers that will accept 1 1/8 bars? I have seen some on ebay etc., but am wary of the cheap quality. I have a set of brand new gold renthal fat bars that came off my RMZ450. I think the gold would look pretty slick on my blue FZ. If anyone has done this swap I'd appreciate some input, Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

gregjet

Most bar clamps are just blocks of aluminium, so quality of them isn't such and issue, but the attached bolts can be. If you are unsure just purchase appropiate quality hi ten bolts to go with them. They don't look as pretty as chrome bolts, but they will be more secure. If you can see tensile markings on the surplied bolts they should be fine. You can always paint them. There are medium tensile stainless bolts available nowdays.

Drilling the bars out at the ends is not going to weaken them. Almost all the stress is at the clamps in the middle. That's going to fail long before any "weakened" spot out at your hands.

Edited by gregjet
spelling

mints

Going to install my renthal ultra lows this weekend...do you guys recommend drilling location holes or just wrapping in electrical tape to avoid movement?

elmo

I drilled my ultra lows bars and wish I didn't, as it did not allow for any fine tune adjustment.

Have since gone with woodcraft and drilling is a non issue as the bar rotation can still be adjusted.

• Like 1

gregjet

Elmo has a point. Drilling isn't an issue strength wise, but make sure you get the angle right, BEFORE you drill. Mine are drilled but I took some time to ensure the correct angle.

user1

SEE:  http://cycle-ergo.com/

animated site with good ergos

better:    see gregjet's method in an earlier reply (10.26.17) to the original post

Edited by user1

Mxbuddy

How do the Renthal road low and road medium compare to stock? Looking to keep the upright supermotoish feel as i come from a dirt bike back ground but I wouldn’t mind going a tad lower. Also interested in Protaper CR high or Henry/Reed bend as the specs look pretty similar to the stock bar specs.