The MT-07 Forum

Handlebars

jamesnorwood860

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

I'm going with clip-ons. 

I'm interested in going clip ons once I get some rear sets sorted. How are you going about the dash relocation?

6 hours ago, RRR said:

I'm interested in going clip ons once I get some rear sets sorted. How are you going about the dash relocation?

I'm looking at Woodcraft clip-ons. There is no relocation. YouTube has a video of the uninstall and installation.

I've ordered a set of Ace bars from AlphaMoto on Amazon which I plan to shorten two inches on each side. That should give me a total width of 23 1/2 inches, much closer to actual clip-ons in width but not as low. Judging from the pictures of Ace bars on a BSA A65 Clubman, the height should be exactly even with the stock Yamaha clamps. This should have the advantage of pulling my arms in and leaning me forward, putting more weight on the front wheel. All to the good. I'll post a picture when I get it installed. 

emperor_Wurm

I have searched on this topic only to find what NOT to buy. 

Can anyone recommend a set of risers that will accept 1 1/8 bars? I have seen some on ebay etc., but am wary of the cheap quality. I have a set of brand new gold renthal fat bars that came off my RMZ450. I think the gold would look pretty slick on my blue FZ. If anyone has done this swap I'd appreciate some input, Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

Most bar clamps are just blocks of aluminium, so quality of them isn't such and issue, but the attached bolts can be. If you are unsure just purchase appropiate quality hi ten bolts to go with them. They don't look as pretty as chrome bolts, but they will be more secure. If you can see tensile markings on the surplied bolts they should be fine. You can always paint them. There are medium tensile stainless bolts available nowdays.

Drilling the bars out at the ends is not going to weaken them. Almost all the stress is at the clamps in the middle. That's going to fail long before any "weakened" spot out at your hands.

Edited by gregjet
spelling

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Going to install my renthal ultra lows this weekend...do you guys recommend drilling location holes or just wrapping in electrical tape to avoid movement?

'16 FZ-07 Matte Silver/Blurple
Instagram:Mintsopoulos

I drilled my ultra lows bars and wish I didn't, as it did not allow for any fine tune adjustment.

Have since gone with woodcraft and drilling is a non issue as the bar rotation can still be adjusted.

• Like 1

Elmo has a point. Drilling isn't an issue strength wise, but make sure you get the angle right, BEFORE you drill. Mine are drilled but I took some time to ensure the correct angle.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

How do the Renthal road low and road medium compare to stock? Looking to keep the upright supermotoish feel as i come from a dirt bike back ground but I wouldn’t mind going a tad lower. Also interested in Protaper CR high or Henry/Reed bend as the specs look pretty similar to the stock bar specs. 

• 2 months later...

I'm 6'3" and after getting a Corbin seat which was made with extra foam to raise seat height, I installed pro taper adventure bars (not the high version). Benefits are, I can reach the bars without leaning so far that my weight is resting on them. Also, with the added width, the leverage to turn is excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

What does slightly lower bars do for the handling in corners?

I'm looking to make the bike a little less neutral when turning in and to make it demand a bit more active countersteering. After riding a friends GSX 1000 I find my bike too neutral to feel distinct in corners.

topazsparrow
11 hours ago, bugeyes said:

What does slightly lower bars do for the handling in corners?

I'm looking to make the bike a little less neutral when turning in and to make it demand a bit more active countersteering. After riding a friends GSX 1000 I find my bike too neutral to feel distinct in corners.

I've used Drag bars and now renthal ultra-lows. Both seemed like a big improvement over the others, but I think it's mostly just "different" which gets perceived as "better".

I will say that a wider bar provides more leverage and a narrower bar provides quicker input. The renthals are wider than the drag bars and I noticed that they felt more "wobbly" and they tended to make the headshake caused by non smooth input more obvious.

Both bars being lower meant more weight over the front wheel - albeit not drastically, which IMO also increased feedback during cornering. The bike felt sharper and SEEMED to have more feedback. It's hard to say without doing back to back riding though.

I doubt you'll notice much difference in handling as the bars change more about the ergo's and looks than the performance.

Edited by topazsparrow

7 hours ago, topazsparrow said:

I've used Drag bars and now renthal ultra-lows. Both seemed like a big improvement over the others, but I think it's mostly just "different" which gets perceived as "better".

I will say that a wider bar provides more leverage and a narrower bar provides quicker input. The renthals are wider than the drag bars and I noticed that they felt more "wobbly" and they tended to make the headshake caused by non smooth input more obvious.

Both bars being lower meant more weight over the front wheel - albeit not drastically, which IMO also increased feedback during cornering. The bike felt sharper and SEEMED to have more feedback. It's hard to say without doing back to back riding though.

I doubt you'll notice much difference in handling as the bars change more about the ergo's and looks than the performance.

Thank you for the reply, feedback from the bike is what I'm looking for, more weight on the front sounds good too as it feels light.Stock bars feel good in the city where I do most of my riding but on the open road I think I would like lower ones.  Will give it a thought and probably end up changing the bars. 

• 3 months later...

I've been trying to figure out what it is I want lately when riding. I don't want a big difference but would like the handles to move slightly down and slightly forward so that I can have a relaxed body posture like when I bend my elbows a little extra to lean slightly forward. Can't really figure out what to buy to get that.

Edited by bugeyes

• 1 month later...

Went with the Carmichaels bars.  While I was at it, I put on an R6 throttle tube (shorter throw), CRG Lanesplitters, Driven D3 grips, ASV F3 shorty, and a Rokform phone mount. 

I wish I could redo the holes for the throttle assembly and kill-switch.  I'd prefer the throttle assembly cables to be in front of the brake master-cylinder,  the kill switch rotated a little further forward, and the throttle tube a little closer to the edge of the bars.  But I don't know the structural implications of having more holes drilled in aluminum handlebars, and I'd rather not find out the hard way.

I'm also a little disappointed that the stiffener bar-thing that came on the Pro-Taper bars (with the foam wrapper on it - none of which is pictured) left a couple of marks on the bars; not the end of the world, I might just put a couple of pieces of electrical tape to cover it.

N4g2SI0.jpg

Post with 0 votes and 3 views.

First time