The MT-07 Forum

Handlebars

jamesnorwood860

2 hours ago, gregjet said:

I meant is it twitchy. I always tried to get longer wheelbase bikes for long rides and slack head angles, though our roads were pretty rough.

I suspect the compliance of the tubing has a lot to do with having no adverse issues. Jealous...

Ahh, I see now. No twitchiness at all. You are spot on about the compliance. Prices on frames are cheap right now because its the end of the year. Ti is worth every penny!

My nephew owns a bike shop in Melbourne and has a friend that supplies Ti bikes he makes . Mostly SS and CX bikes though. They are supposedly superb handlers. Sooooo tempted, but I almost exclusively ride off road now days ( too many dead and permanently injured friends). Oh yeah, and I am reasonably poor as well now I am retired, which doesn't help...

• Like 1

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

13 hours ago, gregjet said:

My nephew owns a bike shop in Melbourne and has a friend that supplies Ti bikes he makes . Mostly SS and CX bikes though. They are supposedly superb handlers. Sooooo tempted, but I almost exclusively ride off road now days ( too many dead and permanently injured friends). Oh yeah, and I am reasonably poor as well now I am retired, which doesn't help...

Not the Curve Cycling brand in Melbourne?

2 hours ago, gregjet said:

Yes I think so.

They're amazing. I've had two sets of their wheels and I've wanted one of their frames since they started.

On 8/6/2017 at 9:41 AM, CarGuy7a said:

I run the Road Mediums which are a little bit taller than stock so I sit up a little straighter ... Only modification I made was I had to cut the ends of the bars down some for the controls to have enough slack. I think it was only like 1/2 inch off each side but don't quote me on that it may have been less I can't remember. They still are slightly wider than stock. 

Do you think I can fit the Renthal road medium without cutting them or modifying the cables?

Glad I found this thread. My bars appear to be slightly bent so I'm in the market for some new ones. Currently torn between the renthal lows and ultra lows. Mostly do a lot of commuting to work. Not a big track guy more of a go out and cruise the back country roads type of rider. I'm a shorter guy with average length arms so I'm worried the ultra lows will have me leaning to far forward and putting too much weight on my wrists. I like having a little more weight forward however, actually turned my stock bars up a little bit to kind of achieve that as it gave the feeling I had more stability in turns. I'm just worried about comfort over long distances. Any tips? 

On 11/9/2017 at 3:39 AM, sunblock said:

Do you think I can fit the Renthal road medium without cutting them or modifying the cables?

No I tried it. The Road Mediums are just wide enough that the stock cable lengths are not long enough to accommodate. They bind up when the bars are at full lock. All I did was I laid the stock bars and the renthal bars side by side and got a general idea of how much I had to cut off to retain a similar width to the stock bars. I then duplicated that measurement on both sides of the bars to cut equal amounts off and then I just wrapped a piece of masking tape around the bars so I could get my cut straight and then just cut it with a hacksaw. I then used some sandpaper to clean up the edges.

On 11/11/2017 at 1:15 PM, ericksrt4 said:

Glad I found this thread. My bars appear to be slightly bent so I'm in the market for some new ones. Currently torn between the renthal lows and ultra lows. Mostly do a lot of commuting to work. Not a big track guy more of a go out and cruise the back country roads type of rider. I'm a shorter guy with average length arms so I'm worried the ultra lows will have me leaning to far forward and putting too much weight on my wrists. I like having a little more weight forward however, actually turned my stock bars up a little bit to kind of achieve that as it gave the feeling I had more stability in turns. I'm just worried about comfort over long distances. Any tips? 

I'm happy with my position on the bike with the lows, just a little more forward and a bit wider than stock. I feel like I have more control with the lows, but I'm 6' tall and I can't say how that might affect someone a few inches shorter than myself. I'm mostly a commuter as well, with some fun weekend rides thrown in when possible.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2017 at 12:42 AM, CarGuy7a said:

No I tried it. The Road Mediums are just wide enough that the stock cable lengths are not long enough to accommodate. They bind up when the bars are at full lock.

On 11/13/2017 at 9:58 AM, sunblock said:

Too bad, I was hoping to switch to road medium without cutting it. I prefer the extra width.

To answer my own question, I successfully installed the Renthal Road Medium 755 handlebars on my MT-07.

No problem whatsoever, no stretched cables. I'm happy.

• Premium Member
On 11/11/2017 at 3:15 PM, ericksrt4 said:

I too, was agonizing over what bars to go with..... I researched it, and most riders seemed to like the Rental "ultra-lows" on the FZ-07. I was concerned with the ultra-lows, as I am also "vertically challenged" (I'm 5'-6"). I threw caution to the wind, and ordered them anyway. When they arrived, I took one look at them, and though I had made a BIG mistake. I tried them, and wasn't immediately impressed? It probably took about 50 miles to get used to them. Now, I would never want anything else!!!! They do put you slightly more forward, but not enough to cause any wrist fatigue. They are wider than stock, and make the bike just feel "right". The stock bars always felt too narrow, and never really felt "right" to me.

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Bars: EMGO Part # 23-125 Width = 33" Rise = 3.75" Pullback = 4.25" Center = 4.75", 7/8s

Your welcome :)

Edited by r1limited
  • Like 1

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• 7 months later...

#47 23-12565 23-12575 33" 3.75" 4.25" 4.75"

23-12575 = Black

23-12565 = Chrome

There are three varients

Bend Chrome Black Width Rise Pullback Center

#47 23-12565 23-12575 33" 3.75" 4.25" 4.75"

#10 23-12581 23-12591 34" 4.250" 8.0" 6.0"

#24 23-12582 23-12592 32.5" 5.375" 8.0" 5.5"

• Like 1

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Good point

I took off about an inch and a quarter as well.  33 to 31 3/4.  Stock cables fit with nothing more than just simple reroute a tad.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been toying with the idea of a more aggressive stance/better handling upgrade to mine but never done any type of installation of handlebars on a bike (dont plenty of other work mainly on cars) so Im curious as to the difficulty of swapping stockers for renthals. Any serious modifications other than drilling new holes for the controls? 

I assume you just measure the stock locations from one end and drill accordingly. 

'16 FZ-07 Matte Silver/Blurple
Instagram:Mintsopoulos

3 hours ago, mints said:

Ive been toying with the idea of a more aggressive stance/better handling upgrade to mine but never done any type of installation of handlebars on a bike (dont plenty of other work mainly on cars) so Im curious as to the difficulty of swapping stockers for renthals. Any serious modifications other than drilling new holes for the controls? 

I assume you just measure the stock locations from one end and drill accordingly. 

Dont drill holes, snip and file down the knobs, this allows you to at minimum move the levers to fit your ergo needs

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, r1limited said:

Dont drill holes, snip and file down the knobs, this allows you to at minimum move the levers to fit your ergo needs

any concerns of rotation? 

'16 FZ-07 Matte Silver/Blurple
Instagram:Mintsopoulos

1 minute ago, mints said:

any concerns of rotation? 

none, the problem I see pinning it, if the bike tips over the lever will bend, but it wont snap the mount/controls as it will move instead pf being locked.  That is just my experiance

• Like 2

Agreed. When I went to the Renthal Lows I did the "snip & file" as well. No issues whatsoever, and I was able to make things fit me instead of the other way around.