The MT-07 Forum

Handlebars

jamesnorwood860

jamesnorwood860

What are the best handlebars for an fz07... bent the hell out of mine need to replace asap so i can ride!!

Flat track bars Rise, pull back width all have to do with ergo for you. Dont by into fads and put bars on because thel look cool. Get a set that makes you fite the bike.

• Like 2

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I have the Renthal Street Ultra Low bars on my bike. I didn't like how narrow the stock bars were and I also wanted something a little more aggressive feeling, and the Ultra Lows fixed both those things. The seating position is still very comfortable and upright, but now it just has a little more of an aggressive feel to it, and the wider bars give the feeling of having more leverage over the bike while cornering. They also look pretty good when combined with bar end mirrors.

• Like 1

[div]The best how, for what type riding? You want upright hooligan bars or laid down & racy?[/div]

Beemer

I have the Renthal Street Ultra Low bars on my bike. I didn't like how narrow the stock bars were and I also wanted something a little more aggressive feeling, and the Ultra Lows fixed both those things. The seating position is still very comfortable and upright, but now it just has a little more of an aggressive feel to it, and the wider bars give the feeling of having more leverage over the bike while cornering. They also look pretty good when combined with bar end mirrors.
I like the sound of those, (what I've been looking for???) The stock bars crimp my neck and traps because I feel they're too narrow and too forward. Do you think they would help with the achy neck after rides? Could you possibly put up some pics and a link to those, I'm positive there are others that would be verrrry interested in those as well. I take it everything went back on the Renthal's with no problems??? Thanks for any help! 

Beemer

Could you possibly put up some pics and a link to those, I'm positive there are others that would be verrrry interested in those as well. I take it everything went back on the Renthal's with no problems??? Thanks for any help!
Bars_1.jpg

Bars_2.jpg

Bars_3.jpg

Bars_4.jpg

Everything fit fine on the Renthals. The only modifications I needed to do was to shave down the little nubs inside the turn signal mount and starter switch mount. For that I just used a dremel and the nubs came off easy since they are plastic. Even without the nubs, the mounts haven't moved since I've swapped bars a couple months ago. And the clutch took some effort to slide back on to the bar since the left side of the Rentahls is knurled, but I just twisted the clutch over the knurling a bunch and it ground off the metal that was causing it to bind. If you have the slightest bit of mechanical aptitude, you should be able to swap the bars without any issues.

In my opinion, these bars make the bike feel sportier and less "sport touring." I don't know if it'll help your neck because the change in how far you are leaned forward isn't drastic (like drag bars would be). If you like the positioning of the stock bars want more width and a little more aggressive feeling, I'd suggest these bars. If you want a big change or to make this bike feel completely different than it is stock, probably go with something else.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
Could you possibly put up some pics and a link to those, I'm positive there are others that would be verrrry interested in those as well. I take it everything went back on the Renthal's with no problems??? Thanks for any help!
Bars_1.jpg 
Bars_2.jpg

Bars_4.jpg

Everything fit fine on the Renthals. The only modifications I needed to do was to shave down the little nubs inside the turn signal mount and starter switch mount. For that I just used a dremel and the nubs came off easy since they are plastic. Even without the nubs, the mounts haven't moved since I've swapped bars a couple months ago. And the clutch took some effort to slide back on to the bar since the left side of the Rentahls is knurled, but I just twisted the clutch over the knurling a bunch and it ground off the metal that was causing it to bind. If you have the slightest bit of mechanical aptitude, you should be able to swap the bars without any issues.

In my opinion, these bars make the bike feel sportier and less "sport touring." I don't know if it'll help your neck because the change in how far you are leaned forward isn't drastic (like drag bars would be). If you like the positioning of the stock bars want more width and a little more aggressive feeling, I'd suggest these bars. If you want a big change or to make this bike feel completely different than it is stock, probably go with something else.

Hope this helps.

Slug Im proud of you. Dont you ever let anyone tell you to remove that tank sticker if you dont want to.  
  • Like 8

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

I like the sound of those, (what I've been looking for???) The stock bars crimp my neck and traps because I feel they're too narrow and too forward. Do you think they would help with the achy neck after rides? Could you possibly put up some pics and a link to those, I'm positive there are others that would be verrrry interested in those as well. I take it everything went back on the Renthal's with no problems??? Thanks for any help!
Sounds like you may want bars that are higher not lower. I did alot of measuring before I bought my bars. The Renthal Road lows are very close to stock height, ultra lows are even lower. I run the Road Mediums which are a little bit taller than stock so I sit up a little straighter. I have a herniated disk in my lower back and those stock bars were just low enough to aggravate it. After the mediums I feel like I can ride it all day now. Only modification I made was I had to cut the ends of the bars down some for the controls to have enough slack. I think it was only like 1/2 inch off each side but don't quote me on that it may have been less I can't remember. They still are slightly wider than stock. 
  • Like 1

I was looking at it wrong. I want bars that are closer to me so if higher bars or risers do the trick then that's what I want. I may just go with risers. As much as wider ones would be nicer I'm pretty used to the width of the stock ones. (less hassle installing them also) Thanks for the info, everyone! Almost forgot, our stock handlebars are 7/8, correct?

Beemer

I was looking at it wrong. I want bars that are closer to me so if higher bars or risers do the trick then that's what I want. I may just go with risers. As much as wider ones would be nicer I'm pretty used to the width of the stock ones. (less hassle installing them also) Thanks for the info, everyone! Almost forgot, our stock handlebars are 7/8, correct?
Well keep in mind I cut some off my renthals for the control lengths so the bars really are not significantly wider. Maybe 1/4 inch at most total width wider. I hated the pull back of the stock bars also, the Renthals to me are a little straighter in the grip area feels like it's right between a dirbike bar and stock ones. 
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Beemer, A set of stock bars off a GS500 may be what you are looking for. The have more pullback and are a bit higher. Renthal used to make a trials alloy bar that is higher and more swept as well, but I am not sure if it is still available.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

pma is that a real Lynskey Ti bike with carbon forks? That would have to the THE biggest seat setback I have EVER seen!

19 hours ago, gregjet said:

pma is that a real Lynskey Ti bike with carbon forks? That would have to the THE biggest seat setback I have EVER seen!

It most certainly is. I'm not getting any younger, so I get re-fitted once a year. The setback feels natural when i'm riding and it is easily the most comfortable road bike I've ever owned. Here's a different view.

IMG_1057.JPG

• Like 1

Never had a Ti bike ( about the only material besides Mg that I haven't had) .Always wanted one.

It looks like you are short legs long body like me from the setup.

Is it a cri bike? That's a really short rear end. Looks a bit of a handful on a long ride.

I like the TC bros drag bars. They are probably as sporty as you can get without being uncomfortable. I've done a handful of 6 - 8 hour rides with them and they are just fine, and i've also been to the track with them and they are low enough to get you tucked in and leaned forward. Also they are only like 20 bucks, So i got two sets to have a spare when I crash at the track. 

Really you should be fitting the bars to YOU . Everybody's bar angle and position is different. The most comfortable will be the natural angle of the line through your grip.

Without the bars on the bike, sit on a vertical bike in you natural riding position. You may need a support for your body. Put a rod in your hand and hold where you want the bars. This will give you the position where you hand is neutral. Find bars that come closest. DO NOT HUNCH YOUR SHOULDERS.

You will probably find the following:

The bars point down towards the outside. The angle in the horizontal plane will probably be different for each hand. Use the average.It will also give you a range of comfortable width.

The more upright you are the less they will point down to the outside ( even above the horizontal plane).

If you move ANY of the following the angle will probably change: Footpeg position, bar clamp height and angle, seat thickness, boots, some helmets, even you pants sometimes as they can change the position where you sit comfortably.

Getting you bars using this method will allow you more control, be less tiring and allow quicker reaction time. Not an issue on this bike but vibration will be less annoying as well ( it's complicated)

• Like 4

Just went to Woodcraft clip-ons and am very happy with this set-up. Is it what I'd recommend? Not at all. I spent many miles thinking about what postional change would suit me best. That's how I ended up choosing the Woodcarft. Spend time diagnosing what you do and don't like about your position with the stock bars and make a decision based on what will work for you.

I've been a bicycle fitter for over thirty years so I screw with my moto position until it is dialed for me not what is popular on some forum. 'Nuff said.

Is the seatpost on the Lynskey a Moots?

ABS =  Audible Blinker System. The horn beebs every time I use the blinker

On 10/28/2017 at 11:26 PM, slideways said:

Just went to Woodcraft clip-ons and am very happy with this set-up. Is it what I'd recommend? Not at all. I spent many miles thinking about what postional change would suit me best. That's how I ended up choosing the Woodcarft. Spend time diagnosing what you do and don't like about your position with the stock bars and make a decision based on what will work for you.

I've been a bicycle fitter for over thirty years so I screw with my moto position until it is dialed for me not what is popular on some forum. 'Nuff said.

Is the seatpost on the Lynskey a Moots?

It's a Lynskey post. 

On 10/25/2017 at 12:49 PM, gregjet said:

Never had a Ti bike ( about the only material besides Mg that I haven't had) .Always wanted one.

It looks like you are short legs long body like me from the setup.

Is it a cri bike? That's a really short rear end. Looks a bit of a handful on a long ride.

I'm 6' tall w/a 32" inseam. I've not been told by anyone that I have an odd torso to leg ratio. I do 40-50 mile rides regularly with no adverse issues.

I meant is it twitchy. I always tried to get longer wheelbase bikes for long rides and slack head angles, though our roads were pretty rough.

I suspect the compliance of the tubing has a lot to do with having no adverse issues. Jealous...