The MT-07 Forum

Need moral support...

phyciocc

• Premium Member

I will be 61 in two months and so It had to happen...Last June Doc told me that my blood pressure was too high and needed to be controlled.
Been taking my pill once a day and the blood pressure went down BUT, I feel a bit woozy all the time.
It feels life when you stand up suddenly and things "swim up" a second or two.
This does not interfere much with everyday activities, including driving the cage, but at the moment I am not quite sure I should ride.
For those of you "so lucky" to be on blood pressure medications, does it get better?
I do feel better overall, so I am not going to quit the pills, but I hope things will stabilize and get to ride again.
Anyone experience this?
Thanks!!
Marco

I am a crazy Physics Prof. Beware :o:)

Are you sure you have high blood pressure? Get an instrument and measure every day. My brother's father in law had high pressure in the doctor's office, but felt awful on medication. Turned out his blood pressure was fine, just not when a bit nervous at the doctor appointments.

Just recently, I bought for my mother, one of those nice wrist BP devices that checks your heart rate as well for right at $45 at Wally World. Easy one button control and it records each day. Nice stuff! I would bet that the best thing you can do to help yourself is that dirty word, you've heard it before, exercise.

Hey, I'll be your partner, I'm starting my own exercise program tomorrow and going back to the gym myself. This week I just started cutting back on sugars & starches. Replacing chips with celery and peanut butter. A&W diet root beer isn't so bad either. I figure an elevated heart rate from a light weight/high rep workout and some fast walking should burn some body fat. (or so I'm hoping :-/ ) GL!

Beemer

martyinaustin

fwiw, and i'm no doctor to be sure...but i've known more than a few people to get blood pressure relief from CBD oil/capsules/vape. don't know how you feel about that and
certainly your doc will likely crap on it...but...google it. you might be surprised.

good luck
m.

Nothing beats physical activity. If you smoke and drink, cutting back or quitting will also help, naturally, as will healthy eating. It's about finding a balance you can live with, though - spurts doesn't do much, it's what you can be bothered do in the long run.

I was on BP meds for a little while to try and control migraines. It lowered my BP a bit too much and left me feeling light-headed. I, too, experienced the rush of blood when standing up. I would get a wave of light-headedness sometimes while riding and that made me very nervous. That, combined with some extreme tiredness, led me talking to my doctor, monitoring my BP, and then we determined that the meds were making my BP too low.

Most important thing is talk to the doctor and tell them all of the issues you're having. If you can keep a side effect log, I find that to be pretty helpful. Does the wooziness coincide with when it's near dinner time (drop in blood sugar?), do you notice other physical symptoms (tiredness? headache?), etc. All would be helpful to a doc when determining which med would work best. If you can spring for it, get a blood pressure monitor so you can check at home. The brand I have is Omron. I think I got it on Amazon for about 50 smackeroos. My doc said it was a good brand.

It's possible you can alleviate some side effects while still getting benefits of medicine on a lower dose. Or a different medicine altogether. Everyone's body chemistry is different and responds to medications a little differently. I have noticed sometimes that doctors will not pay too much attention to side effects unless you really start advocating for yourself. So, make sure you are insistent that certain side effects are not acceptable!

As others mentioned, exercise, drinking water, staying away from salt are all good habits to develop to help you out on the natural side of things.

Good luck, and keep us updated!

• Premium Member

Hello everyone:
thanks for all the replies. Exercise and better eating are on tap. I am hoping that I just need to get accustomed to the new blood pressure levels. I do have a manual cuff that I use at home, and before medication it was definitely high (high of 155 or so). That was prompted me to see the doctor.
Two days ago, the same machine I use every time I go grocery shopping (and that agrees with may manual cuff) told me that my blood pressure was 118-77. I had not had such low blood pressure since my teen years and I was a swimmer...
I hope that once I get used to new levels my lightheadedness will go away.
My next visit is in three weeks, and we'll see how it goes then.
Thanks!
Marco

• Premium Member
Hello everyone: thanks for all the replies. Exercise and better eating are on tap. I am hoping that I just need to get accustomed to the new blood pressure levels. I do have a manual cuff that I use at home, and before medication it was definitely high (high of 155 or so). That was prompted me to see the doctor.
Two days ago, the same machine I use every time I go grocery shopping (and that agrees with may manual cuff) told me that my blood pressure was 118-77. I had not had such low blood pressure since my teen years and I was a swimmer...
I hope that once I get used to new levels my lightheadedness will go away.
My next visit is in three weeks, and we'll see how it goes then.
Thanks!
Marco
About three years ago I had three heart stents installed and started taking BP meds along with a couple other heart related daily pills. For the 1st month or so dizziness, as you described, was an issue and twice I ended up on the floor from dizziness bruised like I'd been doing Fight Club due to the blood thinners I was on at the time. The good news is The dizziness went away as my body acclimated to the new meds and I've not had dizziness issues since and have gotten back into riding this year after a 20+ year break and I'm having a ball. :) So don't sell the bike yet, you'll most likely be able to get back in the saddle again soon.
Best of luck to you and keep us up to date.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I am 60, here is what I learned in my lifetime

Drs are full of shet
We are a over prescribed society
We believe these full of shet Drs without question

I had high BP as well at one time, collesterol all that crap and they wanted to feed the FDA down my throat with all kinds of shet.  They made me feel horrid, so I made a decision, educate myself.  What I found was simple:
[ol type=decimal][*]Eat NON PROCESSED FOODS, I eat Paleo or caveman diet as much as possible (95%) of the time[*]I do not eat breads (BIGGEST ITEM FOR ILL HEALTH)
[*]I have not had a soda of any kind in over 10 years
[*]I dont drink alcohol "Personal Choice"
[*]I stopped smoking when I was 24
[*]I get off my ass and stay active, tread mill, walking, working the yard, building stuff, tinkering and working on bikes adn most of all trying to keep up with two grand daughters[/ol]
BY doing this, I have more energy I only take Synthroid my cholesterol is below average my heart rate is perfect.  I have found what you put into your body has a hell of a lot to do with your health.  Drs take this little chart called the Bell Curve, they listen to you yem and ya about achs and pains and place you on this chart, they prescribe what works for the mass percentage based on the Bell Curve, they do not treat you as an individual.
Processed foods are the evil scourge of this time and age Want a burger ok great leave the bun eat it in a lettuce wrap, get sweet potato fries instead of potatoe (Have those as a treat item) Get rid of Grains and Breads for 30 days, lesson your Carbs by 2/3rds for 30 days then go get your BP checked and dont drink coffeee or caffien drinks before wait at least 4 hours after your last cup.
OH ya disclamer, I am not a dr consult the asshat Phds at your leisure and never believe a thing I say prove it for yourself. :)
Update forgot the best advise
Eat Right, Stay Fit, Die anyway

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I was on BP meds for a little while to try and control migraines. It lowered my BP a bit too much and left me feeling light-headed. I, too, experienced the rush of blood when standing up. I would get a wave of light-headedness sometimes while riding and that made me very nervous. That, combined with some extreme tiredness, led me talking to my doctor, monitoring my BP, and then we determined that the meds were making my BP too low.  
Most important thing is talk to the doctor and tell them all of the issues you're having. If you can keep a side effect log, I find that to be pretty helpful. Does the wooziness coincide with when it's near dinner time (drop in blood sugar?), do you notice other physical symptoms (tiredness? headache?), etc. All would be helpful to a doc when determining which med would work best. If you can spring for it, get a blood pressure monitor so you can check at home. The brand I have is Omron. I think I got it on Amazon for about 50 smackeroos. My doc said it was a good brand.

It's possible you can alleviate some side effects while still getting benefits of medicine on a lower dose. Or a different medicine altogether. Everyone's body chemistry is different and responds to medications a little differently. I have noticed sometimes that doctors will not pay too much attention to side effects unless you really start advocating for yourself. So, make sure you are insistent that certain side effects are not acceptable!

As others mentioned, exercise, drinking water, staying away from salt are all good habits to develop to help you out on the natural side of things.

Good luck, and keep us updated!
Really good advice here, I have nothing to add except that at 61 you have many more years of biking ahead of you and definitely stay hydrated. I noticed that after about age 60 I've had to make myself drink more as I don't seem to naturally and it definitely makes a difference for me in the light headed/standing up syndrome.   

I had a recent spell of heart palps and higher than normal (for me) BP. I wasn't sure if my heart sucked or if years of work related stress started taking its toll on me and I started to have anxiety all the time about absolutely nothing. Since then, I stopped drinking pop (soda for you weirdos) and reduced junk food intake. I also take a butt load of heart related supps like magnesium, potassium, hawthorne berry, taurine , CoQ10 , fish oil etc. I also do cardio way more than I used to. I used to work out 5-6 x a week in college and a little post college years, but since working I have failed miserbly. All these things lowered my BP and I feel better. My thing was that I told my doc that I did not want to be put on any meds because I don't want to be dependent on it. I don't trust long term meds and my personal opinion is that it opens the door for more issues. I have zero data to back that up, just my inner conspiracy theorist lol.

sorry you have this issue to deal with - getting old sucks. Did you talk with your doc about if you could wean off your BP meds as your exercising and healthy eating improves?

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Blood pressure meds lower the pressure in many different ways. Some slow the heart rate, some are vaso dilators and some increase urine output. Your side effects should go away in time, if not, ask to switch to a different acting one. You got some excellent advice here - eating whole foods and exercising and maintaining a normal weight. I've been on bp meds for a long time. If you happen to be genetically inclined to have high bp like I am there isn't much you can do. Sodium has been blamed for a long time but there's always studies showing the opposite so who can tell about that? Good luck and I hope you get it figured out and back to riding soon.

Illegitimi non carborundum

It's hard to give medical advice when you don't really know what you're talking about - like me. I am rather older than you and I do think that exercise plays a major part in keeping us healthy. I don't mean gymn stuff cos that is often unnecessarily 'violent'. I favour walking now, not running which harms the skeleton. I am content to 'run around' a bit seeing to my wife's needs just to take more steps. I also do static exercises, but not enough of course. Biking gets the heart busy, as does my sax. All good, I hope. My BP is OK but it is higher than it was. I thought I might be in for a heat attack the other day but the Doc was not impressed and could find nothing wrong (praise be!). I have a very thin file at the Doc's which can now be a bit worrying...☺ Anyway, I would get that version of your pills changed because you can often relieve yourself of side effects that way. I am judging that by reference to my wife's experience which is extensive. All the rest is MHO, of course.

Just do it! 

• Premium Member

I'm with @r1limited on this one. Too much to go into, but the truth is out there. Just don't expect it from any food corporation, pharmaceutical company or your average indoctrinated doctor.

Best wishes in getting over what ails ya.

Everything went braap.

Im weird. I'm 51 and I don't go to doctors. I haven't been to one in years. I dont plan on living to the age of wearing adult diapers, watching my mind and body give away to age.

Im not suicidal by any means. I just watched my grandparents and others live to an age where life just sucked for them. A constant battle of pain and meds and trying to not shet themselves. A life of mediocracy and fear. No thanks. I could and probably do have a whole bunch wrong with me, and I dont give a damn. I might live another 20 years or 20 days.

My best days are behind me and the world will keep on a spinning just fine with or without me.

I dont take pills. I have chest pains but phuck it. Oh well, Iv'e lived a hard and fast life. I wear the scars proudly.

Well, I never expected so many old farts on FZ-07s! Picked mine up just recently and get much advice from concerned friends about an old guy on a sport bike. Sigh....

I was a professional cyclist for several years and to this day ride both push bikes and motor bikes. Never had an hint of health issues nor any significant family history of problems. It was quite a surprise when I had chest pain and quickly found myself in the OR having stints installed. That's first oversize for an artery for you motor heads. Of course the docs prescribed all kinds of meds and being a good patient I followed along and took them all. Well the statins started kicking my ass, apparently rare but I do not tolerate them well. Tried several different types but nothing worked. Statins by the way if they don't agree with you can really make you miserable. I became determined to bring my "numbers" to where they needed to be by doing any and everything I could on my own and see what changes I could produce. That was over ten years ago. I have been adhering to a plant based diet, I dropped weight and kept up the exercise. I am now off the statins and my blood work is good. Lifestyle changes make a big difference for most folks. Think about it the most important medicine you take every day is the food you eat. I am not suggesting you stop taking medications but as others have I do encourage you to make lifestyle changes in your own favor. Good luck.

ABS =  Audible Blinker System. The horn beebs every time I use the blinker

I had a recent spell of heart palps and higher than normal (for me) BP. I wasn't sure if my heart sucked or if years of work related stress started taking its toll on me and I started to have anxiety all the time about absolutely nothing. Since then, I stopped drinking pop (soda for you weirdos) and reduced junk food intake. I also take a butt load of heart related supps like magnesium, potassium, hawthorne berry, taurine , CoQ10 , fish oil etc. I also do cardio way more than I used to. I used to work out 5-6 x a week in college and a little post college years, but since working I have failed miserbly. All these things lowered my BP and I feel better. My thing was that I told my doc that I did not want to be put on any meds because I don't want to be dependent on it. I don't trust long term meds and my personal opinion is that it opens the door for more issues. I have zero data to back that up, just my inner conspiracy theorist lol.  
sorry you have this issue to deal with - getting old sucks. Did you talk with your doc about if you could wean off your BP meds as your exercising and healthy eating improves?
Great to hear about the heart supplements. I am a huge fan of supplements as well. CoQ10 in particular is really important as we age because our CoQ10 levels drop starting in our 20's. I know you're not on meds (good for you!), but those who take statins or certain BP meds should supplement because those meds can deplete CoQ10. I take a water and fat-soluble form for better absorption.

I have a background in exercise biology and health, and something from this course I took on disease and aging really stuck with me. The professor was talking about his own use of blood pressure medication and how he's increased exercise and applied a healthier diet to mitigate some of the medication he was required to take. In response to those skeptics of taking medication (specifically cardiovascular health medication), he said that you have to really evaluate the value of the system. Can these medications damage processes and systems in your body? Yes. Does that matter if your cardiovascular health is poor? No. No other system can operate well in the absence of a healthy cardiovascular system, it is arguably the most important thing to maintain and the leading cause of preventable illness. That being said, you should still be proactive about reducing the amount you need to take to maintain a healthy blood pressure, and there is no substitute for healthy diet and exercise.

TL;DR take your prescribed medication, work to minimize the amount you need to take to maintain a healthy cardiovascular system, but most importantly change your diet and exercise habits.

@admin you may have very few years left, but does the quality of those years mean anything to you? A healthy lifestyle will improve your quality of life in later years which makes it a whole lot more enjoyable to be alive and do the things you enjoy. Do you want to be able to ride if you're still around in 20 years? I would be willing to bet the guys that are still riding in their later years tend to have better health habits.

Being fit doesn't guarantee a longer life, and you are unlikely to get back all the hours spent staying fit in extra life time, but I'd much rather live well until 80 or exist until 90. You see a lot of people who never cared to do more than walk between the home, car and office who struggle to just get out of a chair at the age of 60 or 70. Not because they are overweight, but because their muscles are dead. Luckily, it is never too late to start working out. And strength is more important than being able to run long distances.

http://www.simplefitnesssolutions.com/articles/older_adults.htm

Muscle wasting involves a battle in later life. I can see it disappearing. So if you want it, just like everything else, use it. Having a slim figure at my age is no good if that is achieved by lack of muscle.

Just do it! 

My 2c worth.
I had insane blood pressure. It was diagnosed at a work health check in about 2000 ( 173/135). Before that I had been a triathlete and runner and had LOW blood pressure. So it just switched from one state to another( gotta love chaotic systems).
I do not take cholestorol "lowering" medicines. Not as a anti science stand , but because I read the original publishing in Scientific American in the 80's on cholestorol and heart incidence and could NOT see how the inference was arrived at fromn the data. Since then repaeted research has shown that in some cases these drugs even RAISE the blood chloresterol AND blood pressure.
I also was prescribed pressure lowering meds. First lot was the Beta blocker lot. They used to make be spin ( as you described) but did nothing to lower the pressure. I was by that stage an endurance mountainbiker and would get dizzy whilst riding ( NOT recommended on the side of a mountain). Swapped me to the Angio tensons and same dizzys. No pressure changes.
Then Karvea ( nitric oxide group of meds) much less side effects and a resonable reduction in pressure and much less dizzies. It is still high but not insane.
For a while I started getting the dizzies again and a MTB friend of mine who is a cardiologist said he would work with me to see if we could find WHY my BP had switched. We looked at all sorts of things and no hint of a cause or causes.
Recently I was doing some net surfing researching gout ( yep I have that as well but was expecting it as it in in the family). I now suspect that my problem is high blood urea , which I have discovered causes high BP. The combination of Gout and the Nitric oxide meds seem to have dropped it to a not to bad level ( still highish). Both of these meds control bloos serum urea. Again not unexpected as the family has a history of kidney related things and I suspect as mytochondrial DNA defect. It will be confirmed if my sisters pass it on and my brothers don't.
Tried all sorts of diets and NO difference. Elimination processed carbs made zero difference. Not eating meat made no difference. Eating lots made no difference. I am still riding many hours mountainbiking a weeks ( better overall body fitness than road cycling and more fun and less likelytt to die from cars).
So in a nutshell, get you blood urea levels checked as a direction, keep exercising and drinking lots of water ( helps to lower you BP). Eat choclate ( also lowers blood pressure). Beetroot leaves in your salads.
Enjoy life. If you find an exercise you enjoy, you won't be trying to get back the time , you will be trying to increase it.
BTW you BP and heart rate drcrease when swimming for a number of reasons. So if you like swimming it gives you body a respite for a while from the pressure. Even just wetting you face will drop you HR and pressure ( mammilian diving response).

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

High blood pressure aka the silent killer. Often a water pill in the morn is enough to control hbp. You will pee like a race horse for the first few days but its one of the safer treatments.

If you are getting dizzy from the meds something is wrong. I've had hbp for almost 40 years and take 3 different drugs daily and I don't get dizzy. You might need the dosage changed or a different drug.

Like others have said diet and exercise help a lot. Low salt intake is a must.

Do not get discouraged and please keep the pressure down.

Archived