The MT-07 Forum

Need moral support...

phyciocc

• Premium Member
High blood pressure aka the silent killer. Often a water pill in the morn is enough to control hbp. You will pee like a race horse for the first few days but its one of the safer treatments. 
If you are getting dizzy from the meds something is wrong. I've had hbp for almost 40 years and take 3 different drugs daily and I don't get dizzy. You might need the dosage changed or a different drug.

Like others have said diet and exercise help a lot. Low salt intake is a must.

Do not get discouraged and please keep the pressure down.

I think my meds are working. It is a combination of diuretic (water pill) and ACE inhibitor. At the beginning I had a the standard side effect for this combination (dry persistent cough). My only suspicion is that is working too well, i.e. I need a lower dose. I went from 160-95 to 117-73 very quickly...

I am lowering my dose the old fashion way (take the medication less frequently than prescribe. Shh. don't tell :) ) but I'll ask the doc to change my prescription to a lower dosage. The nice thing, though, is that I DO feel better. I am sleeping more regularly, and that has made a huge difference. If I can get rid of the slight dizziness (not there all the times and I think is getting less frequent) I'll be good to ride.
Thanks!
Marco

I am a crazy Physics Prof. Beware :o:)

My 2c worth. I had insane blood pressure. It was diagnosed at a work health check in about 2000 ( 173/135). Before that I had been a triathlete and runner and had LOW blood pressure. So it just switched from one state to another( gotta love chaotic systems).
I do not take cholestorol "lowering" medicines. Not as a anti science stand , but because I read the original publishing in Scientific American in the 80's on cholestorol and heart incidence and could NOT see how the inference was arrived at fromn the data. Since then repaeted research has shown that in some cases these drugs even RAISE the blood chloresterol AND blood pressure.
I also was prescribed pressure lowering meds. First lot was the Beta blocker lot. They used to make be spin ( as you described) but did nothing to lower the pressure. I was by that stage an endurance mountainbiker and would get dizzy whilst riding ( NOT recommended on the side of a mountain). Swapped me to the Angio tensons and same dizzys. No pressure changes.
Then Karvea ( nitric oxide group of meds) much less side effects and a resonable reduction in pressure and much less dizzies. It is still high but not insane.
For a while I started getting the dizzies again and a MTB friend of mine who is a cardiologist said he would work with me to see if we could find WHY my BP had switched. We looked at all sorts of things and no hint of a cause or causes.
Recently I was doing some net surfing researching gout ( yep I have that as well but was expecting it as it in in the family). I now suspect that my problem is high blood urea , which I have discovered causes high BP. The combination of Gout and the Nitric oxide meds seem to have dropped it to a not to bad level ( still highish). Both of these meds control bloos serum urea. Again not unexpected as the family has a history of kidney related things and I suspect as mytochondrial DNA defect. It will be confirmed if my sisters pass it on and my brothers don't.
Tried all sorts of diets and NO difference. Elimination processed carbs made zero difference. Not eating meat made no difference. Eating lots made no difference. I am still riding many hours mountainbiking a weeks ( better overall body fitness than road cycling and more fun and less likelytt to die from cars).
So in a nutshell, get you blood urea levels checked as a direction, keep exercising and drinking lots of water ( helps to lower you BP). Eat choclate ( also lowers blood pressure). Beetroot leaves in your salads.
Enjoy life. If you find an exercise you enjoy, you won't be trying to get back the time , you will be trying to increase it.
BTW you BP and heart rate drcrease when swimming for a number of reasons. So if you like swimming it gives you body a respite for a while from the pressure. Even just wetting you face will drop you HR and pressure ( mammilian diving response).
I also got high BP out of nowhere. In addition, I had little energy and got injured for just about nothing, and then wouldn't heal. After several tests another doctor found the answer fifteen months later; borreliosis. After just one day on the antibiotics I felt 20 years younger, rest pulse and blood pressure almost immediately returned to normal.

That IS interesting faffi. I started riding mountainbikes in the rainforrest a a few years before the high BP . There are "scrib ticks" that cause " scrub typhus" which is related to Lymes disease ( a bollelii bacteria). It may be it was bitten but have some resistance but not sufficient to stop all symptoms. I will see if any doctor is interested enough to check it out.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Reading anecdotal medial advise filtered with theories of "big pharma" makes me cringe. Most anti-hypertensives are off patent. Hypertension is the clinical sign. It is non-specific and can be from a multitude of causes. If you have renal artery stenosis all the right diet in the world, exercise and holistic fairy dust will do absolutely nothing.

You are describing symptoms of hypotension. Feeling presyncopal... this could be multifactorial. Perhaps the dose of the antihyperensive need to be split. Perhaps night time dosing it more effective. If you are truly hypertensive and have now been reduced to a normal range you need time to adjust. Some people become accustomed to higher BP's like BSL in diabetics and have a relative (to their new set baseline) hypo that is considered the normal range for healthy people.

Perhaps the best advice was given in the 2nd or 3rd post. That is are you truely hypertensive? Your doctor is giving you the best available advice not based on anecdotes or pharma hands outs. But collective systemic review level data, controlled for bias or finical interference, collected over 100 of thousands of individuals. Replicated in multiple studies across multiple politically/social health jurisdictions across the world. However he/she is basing there advice on the a set of readings when you visit the office. Is this accurate? Hard to say. People naturally vary their blood pressure throughout the day and between days however this is usually minimal amount. What is a well document phenomenon is "white coat hypertension". There is a very real possibility that you are hypertensive and anxious when going into the office. Additional is the machine they are using got the correct size cuff to your arm size. Extremes of normal (very thin or obese) can effect readings and the cuff needs to be changed. Is this reading replicated on other machines.

I think the advice for buying a good quality machine at home and track your BP 2 or 3 times a day for a few weeks and record in the book will give the best answer. Obvious the stakes are higher given you ride a bike and can't have a permissible feeling of hypotension. I would firstly workout where you sit. If you are hypertensive it needs to be treated. It's as simple as that. The question then is what drug, what dose, what dosing interval (morning vs night, split dose vs single dose) and work out what works for you.

Lastly hypertension is common. People get fixated on numbers. It's more of a concern if it goes untreated for an extended period of time rather then an individual reading. Unfortunately as you age you collect more things then wrinkles.. Advances in medicine is the reason why life average expectancy is now mid to late 80's.

I also got high BP out of nowhere. In addition, I had little energy and got injured for just about nothing, and then wouldn't heal. After several tests another doctor found the answer fifteen months later; borreliosis. After just one day on the antibiotics I felt 20 years younger, rest pulse and blood pressure almost immediately returned to normal.
My doc also tested me for Lyme too. Like you  , I had little energy. I live in SW Michigan which is tick haven. I find them on me at least once a week it seems. My test came back negative so idk. Gotta be a great feeling to get it figured out and feel better tho... good for you!

Archived