The MT-07 Forum

The cold weather motorcycle gear thread

Cruizin

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Yep, today I washed my Revit air jacket to put it away for the season. I already have the liner in my leather jacket and have worn a turtleneck and my freezeout glove liners. My freezeout tights are ready and waiting.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Global Moderator

Wow HBC. How cold does it get in the Bay Area? It sounds like you are gearing up for an Alaska ride :).

• Premium Member
You don't wear pants on hot days? Does your butt stick to the seat?
Ha, I just realized this was pointed to me…  (rofl) 
So sticky butt here… :-X

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
Wow HBC. How cold does it get in the Bay Area? It sounds like you are gearing up for an Alaska ride :).
We do a lot of riding in the Santa Cruz mountains where it's often fully shaded and when we hit the coast the temps easily drop 15 degrees from where we started. I'd rather have an extra layer and not need it than to want it and not have it.  :-S  The peninsula can be downright freezing! (50s with wind)

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
You don't wear pants on hot days? Does your butt stick to the seat?
Ha, I just realized this was pointed to me…  (rofl) 
So sticky butt here… :-X
I thought it was directed at cassecou with his gear/temp spreadsheet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Apologies to the riders in colder climes but the last three days have been warm enough to get my air jacket out. It's supposed to last through the weekend.  8-)

• Premium Member

It will be 60 here the entire weekend. Not too bad, but I've already started a purchase towards extending my riding into the colder season with the Alpinestars Valparaiso Drystar gloves.
VALPARAISODRYSTAR-GLOVES-Motorradhandschuh-wasserdicht.jpg

Summer gloves suck in 40 degree weather :(

I just went and picked up some underarmor cold armor for riding longjohn top&bottom face mask and glove liners keeps me warm snuff to ride highway speed for the 35 mile ride to and from work under jeans and long sleeve shirt with my summer jacket and liner it was down in the 40's this morning

I wear 1 leather jacket year around doesn't matter if it is 15 degrees or 105 degrees.

Fox Creek leather.

In winter I zip in the liner and where another flannel jacket under it.

Also have a pair of leather chaps I wear when the temps drop below 45.

When the temps get below 40 I wear a Balaclava and use my heated gloves.

When it rains summer or winter I have this suit to put on.

I consider myself to be a fair weather rider. As long as there is no ice or snow on the ground and above 15 degrees F. I ride my bike 20 miles down the highway to work and back .

• 3 months later...

After a couple freezing/subfreezing rides thus far, I will be picking up some heated liners soon. My only real issue is my fingertips. The rest of me can stay warm, but my fingertips die.
Considering the Sedici Hotwired liners and at $50 to $80 they're not a bad deal!

i have about a 1 hr ride. All kinds of layering stay good for about 40 mins, but the last 20 becomes quite freezing and numb.
Goretex with inner lining jacket and pants keep me pretty warm. Cozy helmet and a neck scarf. Only parts actually feeling the cold are usually the feet and the hands towards the end of the hour.

So I got these gloves couple of months ago : http://voltheat.com/product/titan-mens-7v-heated-gloves/ . Along with grip heaters and hand guards, these gloves work really well and my fingertips are warm without burning.

For the feet, I wear winter version of 'Darn tough' socks and calf high goretex boots one size higher so that I can wear two socks if needed. This works ok for the feet. Still gets cold towards the end in low 30F weather. If it is 40s, then you are cozy. But I am still open to better solutions for the feet which are not too much of a hassle.

• Premium Member
I wear 1 leather jacket year around doesn't matter if it is 15 degrees or 105 degrees. 
Fox Creek leather.

In winter I zip in the liner and where another flannel jacket under it.

Also have a pair of leather chaps I wear when the temps drop below 45.

When the temps get below 40 I wear a Balaclava and use my heated gloves.

When it rains summer or winter I have this suit to put on.

I consider myself to be a fair weather rider. As long as there is no ice or snow on the ground and above 15 degrees F. I ride my bike 20 miles down the highway to work and back .

I picked up the FCL Drifter jacket (their newest model) around Christmas and boy, this jacket is the bees knees. Hands down the best jacket money can buy in my mind, and priced very well.

Everything went braap.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this jacket from cycle gear last month. I've been wearing this for average 45 degree weather in the morning but the last few days it's been 39 and 37. I've been riding on the fwy at 80mph and have nothing but good things to say. I enjoy it. I've only worn with polo or flannels underneath so I know I would be warm in colder weather if I wear a sweater. I usually ride back in 70 70 plus degrees and it does get too warm at about 80. Good jacket great price!!! Damn you cycle gear for being 2 minutes away from my job!!! hahaha I also bought a summer jacket around christmas but that's a different story

http://www.cyclegear.com/BILT-Typhoon-Waterproof-Textile-Motorcycle-Jacket

Archived