The MT-07 Forum

The cold weather motorcycle gear thread

Cruizin

Now that temps are gonna start dropping, let's share links and reviews for cold weather gear.

I'll start with a few. Some I own, some I am about to own and some I'm thinking about.

Klim Badlands Pro Jacket this is the best, in my opinion. I own one and it is warm, built better than any jacket I have ever owned and it just fits well and is very very tough. Klim is the top of the Motorcycle gear world.

Tourmaster Transition 3 Jacket. A very good lower priced cool weather jacket. I also own one of these.

Gerbing 12 volt T% Hybrid Heated gloves. I own these and they work great and have not let me down. I like these better than heated grips. You will need to install a 12 volt socket but that is very easy to do.

With the heated gloves also GET A TEMP CONTROLLER TO AVOID BURNS!

I'll add more later. What do you guys and gals use in fall/early winter? California guys and gals can just stuff it!

Long ago in a world far away I thought the low was 32 deg. Frosty visors and frozen fingers were the issues and bone chilling hypothermia was tolerated. My commute was 15 miles, over the Brooklyn Bridge and up the FDR drive, leaky garbage trucks was the biggest (of many) hazards. My 130 mile weekly trip now is beyond what garments can armor against when riding naked. I deal with heat waves by hosing out the jackets and pants at the end of the day. Defrosting fingers and toes is beyond the pale. My last trip was 70 deg. Layers of pants and a jacket liner was enough. I might make a go again at 60 deg.
Back on the Brooklyn Bridge I used a heated vest, and often had red marks on my back from the coils! Ah, to be young and dumb again...

Keep in mind that heated gear has come along way. And man, people out here snomobile at highspeeds in 10 degree weather!

I Snowmobile in my Klim jacket with base layers and stay warm, often for 10 hour trips pr more in the Rocky Mountains.

If you are coming home with coil marks you are doing it wrong, lol.

I'm actually going to be wiring up my Warm n Safe gear this weekend. I have had these since last year
http://www.warmnsafe.com/ultimate-touring-mens-heated-gloves/

and will be ordering

http://www.warmnsafe.com/generation-waterproof-mens-heated-liner/

I also have that tourmaster transition jacket. Worked very well for me last winter.

• Premium Member

Awesome thread. I'm looking forward to everyone's review/thoughts on winter gear. I will definitely be purchasing a Winter/Water Proof jacket this year.

• Global Moderator

My cold weather gear is called a "4X4 truck" ;) but I do snowmobile and it is not difficult to keep warm. When temps drop under -20F I prefer to stay inside. But I have been out when it was cold and did not die. The answer is good winter gear and lots of layers. Klim has good stuff. Key is to prevent the wind to blow away the heat you build up and the air in between layers is great insulation.
I always wear a Balaclava under my helmet, and There are special winter helmets with electric shields that work well, but I don't think it is worth the investment. 
I prefer mittens over gloves any day, in combination with heated grips. It takes a bit getting used to when operating levers, but fingers will transfer the heat to each other and being able to move you fingers around make a big difference.

Gerbing 12 volt T% Hybrid Heated gloves. I own these and they work great and have not let me down. I like these better than heated grips. You will need to install a 12 volt socket but that is very easy to do.  
With the heated gloves also GET A TEMP CONTROLLER TO AVOID BURNS!

wow ... so thats $350 for just gloves .. ugh.
Yes there is an initial UMPH when buying heated gear. The trollers and wiring can cost quite a bit up front. But IMO, for me, it is a necessity. I have a very low threshold for cold and the heated gear is just spot on and works as designed.

When I did my research, I personally just preferred the Warm N Safe lineup over Gerbing but you can't go wrong with either. Just an FYI as well to anyone who is new to heated gear, First Gear products are just WarmNSafe rebranded.

I'm looking for a solid pair of cool/cold weather gloves, prefer them to be on the affordable side. Also I wont be needing heated gloves. Any suggestions?

I'm looking for a solid pair of cool/cold weather gloves, prefer them to be on the affordable side. Also I wont be needing heated gloves. Any suggestions?
From a few years ago so some of it might be outdated, but Revzilla has a pretty good video on a few options and the differences.

Some Glove sales and really good deals on this page, I would buy now before sales end. Winter stuff gets more expensive if you buy in winter.

On that page, the first gear fargo gloves are on a big time sale and I know those are a great winter glove. $44.95 is a smoking hot deal.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
 What do you guys and gals use in fall/early winter? California guys and gals can just stuff it!

Hey! It gets cold here!  
When the temp drops below 50 <snicker> I get out my turtleneck, freeze out tights and glove liners and put the thermal liner in my leather jacket. I might put on an additional pair of tights. I ride year-round unless it's raining.  :D

Illegitimi non carborundum

I'm actually going to be wiring up my Warm n Safe gear this weekend. I have had these since last year http://www.warmnsafe.com/ultimate-touring-mens-heated-gloves/

and will be ordering

http://www.warmnsafe.com/generation-waterproof-mens-heated-liner/

I also have that tourmaster transition jacket. Worked very well for me last winter.
I really like the idea of this liner, but without the need for it to be heated.  Basically a base layer to wear under a normal 3-season jacket.  Anyone know if such a thing exists?  I don't need COLD gear, just "COOL" gear, as in maybe low 50s or maybe short (30 min) rides in low to mid 40s.  

Would something like a thinner Northface jacket be practical?  I suppose it doesn't have to be motorcycle specific - at least I don't see why it would - if worn under a riding jacket.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Premium Member
 What do you guys and gals use in fall/early winter? California guys and gals can just stuff it!
Hey! It gets cold here!  
When the temp drops below 50 <snicker> I get out my turtleneck, freeze out tights and glove liners and put the thermal liner in my leather jacket. I might put on an additional pair of tights. I ride year-round unless it's raining.  :D
Yeah it does! I ride year-round too… and ride in the rain if it hasn't started once I leave the house. Haha.  
I bust out my Dainese Goretex Jacket that's waterproof and comes with a nice liner. I also have some thick winter gloves as well. 
Hmm, come to think of it, I should start looking for some winter (over)pants. I've put it on the back burner with this 100+ weather.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

When I last rode my bike all year long, I made a simple spreadsheet showing temperatures separated in 10 degrees increments, with the gears I was wearing. The reason I did this is, A: I am way too organized, and B: when walking outside, we often under estimate the temperatures. This becomes more critical the longer we are on the road.

gloves      jacket     pants

90         light        mesh      none
80         light        mesh      none
70        medium    full         none
60        medium    full         none
50        heavy      heavy      none
40        heavy      heavy      yes
30        heavy      heavy      yes

today I rode in low 60's with little sun. I had to wear my textile jacket, I had Kevlar jean pants my legs were getting cold, gets any colder in need to buy textile pants or long johns.

This is a good deal for Dainese Garda D-Dry Gloves, on close out for $79.96

When colder weather comes these closeouts will be gone. I'm ordering a pair right now for days that don't require heated gloves. These should be good for 40 degree days, maybe even cooler.

Video

• Premium Member
This is a good deal for Dainese Garda D-Dry Gloves, on close out for $79.96  
When colder weather comes these closeouts will be gone. I'm ordering a pair right now for days that don't require heated gloves. These should be good for 40 degree days, maybe even cooler.

Video

I saw these a few weeks back and missed out on my size. They only have primordial sizes left. :( Great deal though. 

• 4 weeks later...
TwistedTorque
Damn, rode up in the mountains just now and saw 46 degrees and I wasnt wearing a jacket liner. Time to break out the Klim.
Yup, I wired up my heated gear a few weeks ago for prep. Today I had to pull out the warmnsafe liner and gloves. Felt nice and toasty riding home at night ~40 degrees. Got to love it.

Archived