The MT-07 Forum

Stuck bolts? See what helps the most

faffi

Machinist's Workshop magazine tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts. They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment. The results are as follows;
Penetrating oil........... Average load
None ...................... 516 pounds
WD-40 .................... 238 pounds
PB Blaster ................ 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ........... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil ................ 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix...........53 pounds
The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50-50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone.

• Premium Member

Really useful info.
I've got a bolt that's cross threaded that I may have to drill out. I tried PB blaster and it didn't help. I should try one of the other options and probably some heat too.

Heat is good! And if the table is correct, using acetone and ATF should reduse the needed torque to remove the bolt by 75%, which is more than significant.

My nutz are never stuck

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member

Heat is good, but before you bust out a blowtorch, try a hair dryer. Works surprisingly well, less hazardous and at times open flames are just a no go.

Everything went braap.

My nutz are never stuck
Oh, boy! When they do get stuck you're really going to regret it. 

colbert_gif.png

Beemer

Heat is good, but before you bust out a blowtorch, try a hair dryer. Works surprisingly well, less hazardous and at times open flames are just a no go.
Yeah, last time I used a blow torch I burned all the hair off me nuts. Smelled as bad as it hurt >:D   Much comfier with a hair dryer P-)  

• Premium Member

I [strong]REALLY[/strong] didn't need those mental images. *reaches for brain bleach* (puke)

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

Great info! Thanks for this.

For the record, stay well away from the tinfoil based hardware included with ERMAX parts.

[attachment id=2532" thumbnail="1]

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Faffi. Try an acetone/2stroke oil mix ( some 2 stroke oils are not miscible with acetone) . I suspect an even better result. I THINK 2 stroke oil contains an oil surfactant. Methyl benzene ( acrylic general paint thinner) also can be substituted for acetone.
For really stubborn metal/metal Castor Oil based oil and petrol. let soak then hit with a heat source away from the mix entry point. castor oil when in the presence of heat runs TOWARDS to heat source insted of away.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Posts about nuts, pipe nipples, thrust washers, etc bring out the 8 year old in all of us. Thanks for the info and the laughs.

For the record, stay well away from the tinfoil based hardware included with ERMAX parts.

I thought mine were plastic.  :-S  

Beemer

• Premium Member

So its not just me or just a freak bad batch? God damn those guys at Ermax need a good slap. Inexcusable. 

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

So its not just me or just a freak bad batch? God damn those guys at Ermax need a good slap. Inexcusable.
At the risk of sounding dumb, did you buy a windscreen from them? If so, which one? 

Beemer

• Premium Member
At the risk of sounding dumb, did you buy a windscreen from them? If so, which one?
Not at all.  I bought their under-tail and their rear-hugger. As for windscreen I tempted fate and tried the Chinese special (after another member bought one). Really dig the look of it...and everything lined up in application. ;) 
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-YAMAHA-MT07-MT-07-Motorcycle-Windshield-Windscreen-Spirit-Wind-Deflectors-MT-07-Screen-Protector-2014/32770396064.html?spm=2114.40010208.4.31.B6OZNS

Archived