The MT-07 Forum

Thinking about building an FZ07R

Nevets

Hello everyone,

I have been reading all about the FZ07R, and am seriously considering building one to replace my 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650 race bike.

I bought my Ninja from an expert racer at my local club, and while the bike is really well setup, the ergonomics are really bad for me. I'm 6'4" tall, and really lanky, long arms and legs, and weigh ~170 lbs naked. I love the middleweight twins bikes, but I'm really nervous about spending all the money to build a FZ07R only to have the same issue I have now.

I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada; and I would really like to try sitting on a fully built FZ07R. Is there anyone in the far North West, or possibly even someone in Canada (long shot I know) who has one?

Failing that, are there any tall riders who have tried riding the FZ07R on track? How were the ergonomics?
I know the tank cover was modeled after the 2009 R1 gas tank. How similar is it? Would sitting on a 2009 R1 give me the right idea as to fit?

Does anyone know the finished seat height for the FZ07R? I know the stock height is 31.7 inches, how much taller does it get with the new suspension linkage and the superbike seat?

I love these forums, I've read pretty much every build thread that's been posted.
Absolutely loved the build by Dave (Mossrider) over on the MNSportbikeRiders forums. Huge thanks for the detailed build and all the pictures.
Link in case anyone is interested.

I don't think you'll have any problem 'fitting' on an R. The seat height on mine is right at 33" altho the superbike seat is functionally wider and harder edged at the front than the stock seat making it feel taller. I added a couple of pics to illustrate the seat room on these things under a couple different riding scenarios. Im 5'10" and weigh ~220(ish) so am thick front to back. They ride very much like an R6 in size, wheelbase, height, width, but weigh less and have less power. The seat combined with the ultra adjustable rear sets give an extreme range of fit compared to an R6. There is a little more knee/elbow room on the R than the 6 probably due to longer bar to seat distance on the 7R and a skoash more hind end room on the R.

You're welcome to pop in to BIR in August for a test fitting ?.

Puttin the spurs to it...
IMG_5687_X5_1.jpg

Cool down lap, coasting along...
34330081823_ceb41a028d_o.jpg

Thanks for the invite. Unfortunately that's an 18 hour drive to get there. Plus I'm throwing my best friend a bachelor party that weekend.

I did contact Andy Palmer, and after a quick phone call, he made me feel a lot better about the fit. He built a bike for a rider who is just as tall and lanky and I am, and actually had a chance to follow him around on the track, and said that he looked good on it. The rider feedback was great as well.

I think I'm sold, it's just a matter of finding a bike, and finding the money for the build.
I'll be sure to start a thread here to document my race build when it finally happens.

Thanks for the invite. Unfortunately that's an 18 hour drive to get there. Plus I'm throwing my best friend a bachelor party that weekend. 
I did contact Andy Palmer, and after a quick phone call, he made me feel a lot better about the fit. He built a bike for a rider who is just as tall and lanky and I am, and actually had a chance to follow him around on the track, and said that he looked good on it. The rider feedback was great as well.

I think I'm sold, it's just a matter of finding a bike, and finding the money for the build.
I'll be sure to start a thread here to document my race build when it finally happens.
Couple of thoughts

A. Build it.

2. BIR is a killer place for a party....

• 1 year later...

So this happened.

It's a little sooner than the budget was planning on, so the build will probably happen over a couple years. But I'm committed to it now. I'll post updates as I start to order parts.

Does anyone have any suggestions for rear shocks?

I think I'm going to do the cartridge emulators in the stock forks, but I'm still trying to decide what to do for the rear shock. I'm still a pretty slow racer, so I don't need the best of the best, and I'd like to find something that won't break the bank.

Possibly the K-Tech Razor R-Lite. Has anyone tried it? If so, what did you think about it.

20180904 Bought the bike.jpg

38 minutes ago, mossrider said:

There's a Penske and an Ohlins for sale over in that thread. Either would be a great starter shock, same as the Razor. 

Which thread are you referring to?

Is it this one?

Thanks Mossrider.

Unfortunately being in Canada, it is very difficult for me to buy secondhand in the US.

I'll message them and see what happens, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be forced to buy new.

• Global Moderator

I have heard good things about the razor.  I have the Nitron R1, which I have been very happy with.  For racing you probably want something with more adjustments than both of those though. 

• Global Moderator

I have the Razor-R rear shock, and i love it. 
sooo much better than stock even though i'm a bad owner and have yet to set sag and dial it in correctly. 

if you must buy new, @pattonme sells shocks and a cartridge upgrade for the FZ, and will probably have the best line on a CDN supplier if he cant do so himself

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Archived