The MT-07 Forum

What bars to increase upright position?

jbone

I'm looking for some recommendations for bar upgrades. I'm wanting a more upright position with less weight up front. I personally like the feel of the stock bars , but after an hour plus worth of riding, I start getting annoyingly sore in my traps and neck. From then on I just want to get off the bike. I know my low back issues probably don't help that either, but it is what it is. I know if I get just a little better geometry on my bars, it could make longer riding much more tolerable. I was hoping that I would get used to it and adjust as I put on the miles, but not the case. I prefer to stay away from bar risers just because I'm not a huge fan of the way they look, but I know they may be my only option.

Thoughts?

• Premium Member

look into dirt bike bars... Protaper, Renthal, etc... you would have to get some rough measurements of your stock bars on how high they go, the sweep, etc...then look at which style offers a taller height... im gonna take a wild guess and say the FZ-07 bars are/very close to the "YZ high" style bars... OEM part numbers from a YZ450F bar and a FZ-07 bar is/looks identical except the paint code? 
Capture_2017_07_31_02_46_58.png

screenshot from protaper evo style bars under the tech information... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

the adventure style bars seem to be even taller...
Capture_2017_07_31_03_36_33.png

img url

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
look into dirt bike bars... Protaper, Renthal, etc... you would have to get some rough measurements of your stock bars on how high they go, the sweep, etc...then look at which style offers a taller height... im gonna take a wild guess and say the FZ-07 bars are/very close to the "YZ high" style bars... OEM part numbers from a YZ450F bar and a FZ-07 bar is/looks identical except the paint code?  

I had the same problem. I noticed the P.O. had the bars pulled backward to make them as low as possible. Rolling them forward was enough to solve the problem for me. Worth a try.

edit: oops, I meant to reply to the first post.

2015 FZ07; Yoshimura Exhaust; Yoshimura Fender Eliminator; Shorty levers; Bazzaz EFC, frame sliders, LED signals, Yamaha Comfy Seat, Madstad Windshield.

I also cramp up in my traps, but strangely enough behind semi-tall bars that feels very natural and comfortable to me. Cannot say why, y my VT500FT Ascot has a similar riding position and handlebars to the FZ, and also cramped my traps. My KZ650 as well, although it had a very different leg/seating position otherwise. Both became better by making them feel less comfortable (to me) by fitting lower, straighter and slightly narrower bars. Odd. My GSX600F and Sprint 900 both had far more forward lean and plenty more weight on my hands, but never cramped my traps. Or anything else, for that matter.

I wouldn't mind some higher bars either, mine do the same to me. I've found that holding your arms up constantly plus holding your head up to see straight causes all the cramping in the neck and traps. I think it's the combination of the two things since they both affect the neck and traps. 

Edit: I think the upright bars, turned back toward me an inch will help me a lot.

Beemer

the adventure style bars seem to be even taller... Capture_2017_07_31_03_36_33.png

img url

Definitely good info, thanks. Now to figure out how much bar i can get without over stretching cables and controls...

• Premium Member

Installing a set of bar-risers (like Phoenix's) would seem to be easier if all you want is a little "lift." I don't know what all riser heights are available, but here is a short install vid:

• 2 weeks later...

New to the forum here. Just got my 07 about a month ago and noticed the same thing with the bars. Sore neck and shoulders and to much pressure on my hands. I just loosened the clamps and rolled them up about an inch (at the end of the bars) and it made a wonderful difference for me. I'm 5'8" with average length arms. I did not have to change lever position or anything, they barely changed angle and the little more downward they are felt natural to me coming from dirt bikes / dual sports. It did make a very noticeable difference and only took 10 minutes and $0 to do.

You wonder if it's a matter of luck as to how the dealer puts the bike together as to how your bars sit.

Just do it! 

Definitely wonder! My headlight was pointing down so much low beam only went about 20 ft out.About 3 turns the adjuster to make it halfway usable.

Definitely wonder! My headlight was pointing down so much low beam only went about 20 ft out.About 3 turns the adjuster to make it halfway usable.
 Yikes, what dealer did you pick it up from?   

My local one in Paw Paw, MI. Decent place and no complaints with them. I think they just follow a set up list from Yamaha and that probably has them setting it low for safety of "other drivers" so you don't blind them. High beam was OK there but low was,,, too low! LOL! Both beams work much better after adjustment. I will still most likely order a cyclops LED bulb though. I got used to LED lights on my last bike and really like them. I just had two auxillary units mounted on my dual port XR and an Osram 85/80 H4 in the main light. Easily as bright as my truck high beams with all of them on.

before you go a head and buy 1st check if the cables are long enough.
ya don't want you engine revving like a clappers and taking off like a scolded cat when turn a corner.lol

I wanted to get a set of the Phoenix risers but couldn't find them anywhere. Ended up getting some 1" SW Motech ones but haven't been able to ride the bike yet as my seats are getting redone right now.

New to the forum here. Just got my 07 about a month ago and noticed the same thing with the bars. Sore neck and shoulders and to much pressure on my hands. I just loosened the clamps and rolled them up about an inch (at the end of the bars) and it made a wonderful difference for me. I'm 5'8" with average length arms. I did not have to change lever position or anything, they barely changed angle and the little more downward they are felt natural to me coming from dirt bikes / dual sports. It did make a very noticeable difference and only took 10 minutes and $0 to do.
Have any pics to show how much you moved them?

No I don't. Basically just loosened them and rotated up about the diameter of the bars (7/8" to 1") as seen at the end of the grips. If they moved forward any it wasn't enough to notice or make a difference.

• 1 month later...
On 8/15/2017 at 11:08 AM, hpclayto said:

I wanted to get a set of the Phoenix risers but couldn't find them anywhere. Ended up getting some 1" SW Motech ones but haven't been able to ride the bike yet as my seats are getting redone right now.

Ordered a set of the Phoenix risers from GO AZ in Scottsdale, AZ since it looked like they had it in stock. Turns out they had to special order them anyway from Parts Unlimited and I ended up with the silver color instead of the black like I thought I was ordering.

They're distributed by Parts Unlimited so you might be able to order them from a local shop or take your pick of online shops that carry PU stuff.

Definitely NOT inexpensive ($119.00 I think) considering they're two chunks of aluminum however they are CNC machined and integrate the instrument mounts so you don't need to get another bracket.

Simple to install and didn't need to tweak any wiring or cables. Does raise the bars exactly 1 inch.

2017-10-15 12.36.28.jpg

Archived