Jump to content
faffi

Sport touring tyre comparo 2017

Recommended Posts

fzar
On 3/23/2018 at 9:20 AM, mjh937 said:

And to keep the post on topic has anyone tried the Michelin Road 5 yet?

I would be interested if this question could be answered by people. I'm in the market for tyre replacements and I went to Michelin's website, plug in year,model etc.. can't be found for 2015, but change it to 2016 Bingo.

There's very little information on the tyre other than its as good as a new PR4 in the rain at stopping, with 3,500 miles on the R5.

Somebody on here has to have a pair!! Give us a review and personal thoughts on these R5's if you have them. I'm about to take my PR3's off as the rear is getting worn 9,000 miles and the front isn't bad, aahh I'm getting a pair, feck it. They've been on the bike since the dealership so I feel like it's time for both to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rick

Those PR5s are really really new, so yer gonna have to be patient for reviews to filter in. Generally, every new generation of tire will be incrementally better than the one it replaces. Will any of us notice the change from a PR4 to 5,  some may, but most of us will just notice the huge change that happens when you go from a worn tire to new regardless of the tire brand/generation. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mjh937

I figured I may be the guinea pig on the Road 5.  They are the top contender to replace my Bridgestones in the next few weeks. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rick
29 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

I figured I may be the guinea pig on the Road 5.  They are the top contender to replace my Bridgestones in the next few weeks. 

Can't go wrong with the PR4s or 5s

 

Keep in mind, the BT023s that came stock on half of the FZs were already old and replaced with T30s which were then replaced with T30 Evos and those are now on their way out, replaced by the T31s.

 

Time and tech marches on. And so do prices. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fzar
7 hours ago, mjh937 said:

I figured I may be the guinea pig on the Road 5.  They are the top contender to replace my Bridgestones in the next few weeks. 

Both of us may be giving reviews at similar time. I'm looking for a place to mount and balance them for me, that won't be pissed I didn't buy tyre's from them. Most dealerships around here don't have them in stock, but they'd sure would like you to buy anything they have on their shelves. I rarely ride in the rain, but I intend on touring a bit this season and you never know when it's going to start Pissin, to that point, and the fact that the R5's are almost the same price as the PR4's. If I remember correctly I can get front+rear for $350 on Revzilla. Anybody know of cheaper prices let me know.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mjh937
37 minutes ago, fzar said:

Both of us may be giving reviews at similar time. I'm looking for a place to mount and balance them for me, that won't be pissed I didn't buy tyre's from them. Most dealerships around here don't have them in stock, but they'd sure would like you to buy anything they have on their shelves. I rarely ride in the rain, but I intend on touring a bit this season and you never know when it's going to start Pissin, to that point, and the fact that the R5's are almost the same price as the PR4's. If I remember correctly I can get front+rear for $350 on Revzilla. Anybody know of cheaper prices let me know.

 

I found them for $346 at a place I have never heard of.  For an extra four bucks I would go with RevZilla.  I was going to give the local guys a chance to sell me a set before I go online.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
i28

wow. $346...

Just paid around $160 for a set of Bridgestone S21's after rebate so I don't see the appeal of $350 tires.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shinyribs

My Conti Motions were around $160-170 mounted and balanced, old tires left behind. Curious how long they will last, but I can't find their grip limit and the air temps have not been over 60 degrees F since I put them on. I can leave my 1/2 mile gravel driveway and be dragging pegs within a mile in 30 degree temps. Cold traction is not a problem with these tires. I'm only at 1200-1300 miles on them so far, but I see no discernible wear. 

 

 

For comparison, since different road surfaces and riding styles impact tread life greatly, I wore my BT 023's slick  in just over 4k miles. Well, the rear tire at least. But the front had developed a steep profile and was handling poorly (twitchy), so it needed replacing even though the tread depth was only getting close to the wear bars.

 

Edit: went to my record book because I know my memory is awful. I was way off! The tires alone were $169, mounting and balancing was another $35 for the pair. $4 tire disposal fee. $216.45 total after sales tax. My tire guy even had a rattle can of blurple paint so my stick-on wheel weights don't show :) Support yer local dudes!

Edited by shinyribs
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beemer

Since there are no real curves to push my tires/tyres wear mostly in the middle. Can anyone of you veterans tell me what touring tire uses the hardest compound in the center for longer/longest tire wear. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beemer
11 hours ago, shinyribs said:

My Conti Motions were around $160-170 mounted and balanced, old tires left behind. Curious how long they will last, but I can't find their grip limit and the air temps have not been over 60 degrees F since I put them on. I can leave my 1/2 mile gravel driveway and be dragging pegs within a mile in 30 degree temps. Cold traction is not a problem with these tires. I'm only at 1200-1300 miles on them so far, but I see no discernible wear. 

 

 

For comparison, since different road surfaces and riding styles impact tread life greatly, I wore my BT 023's slick  in just over 4k miles. Well, the rear tire at least. But the front had developed a steep profile and was handling poorly (twitchy), so it needed replacing even though the tread depth was only getting close to the wear bars.

 

Edit: went to my record book because I know my memory is awful. I was way off! The tires alone were $169, mounting and balancing was another $35 for the pair. $4 tire disposal fee. $216.45 total after sales tax. My tire guy even had a rattle can of blurple paint so my stick-on wheel weights don't show :) Support yer local dudes!

I pulled this off of this web site: http://mototirereviews.com/sport-touring-motorcycle-tire-reviews/

It said this about the ContiMotion but didn't mention tire wear:

"# 18 Continental ContiMotion

The Continental ContiMotion is a value oriented tire. That being said, there were quite positive reviews for this tire. Provided good small bump absorbtion, and was rated as sticking better than Bridgestone BT 021 and Dunlop Roadsmarts. Worth a try if saving money is a priority."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
i28
6 hours ago, Beemer said:

The Continental ContiMotion is a value oriented tire. That being said, there were quite positive reviews for this tire. Provided good small bump absorbtion, and was rated as sticking better than Bridgestone BT 021...

Just to be clear, the BT021 is a sport touring tire and was replaced by the BT023 which comes standard on some of our bikes. The S21 is a completely different tire than  the BT021 and BT023. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
topazsparrow
On 3/22/2018 at 11:44 AM, gregjet said:

"What the hell is a tyre?"

It's what the entire rest of the world except the US uses for round black things. Like Aluminum ( how come they don't have uranum, and sodum and magnesum?), the US just makes up it's own rules to ensure misunderstanding with the rest of the world.

I particularly enjoy a gallon of 144 fluid ounces instead of the original 160 ( not that pretty much nobody uses gallons, or other ancient Imperial legacy units anymore anyway).

Hey, what about Canada too eh? sorry!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gregjet

?

Didn't Canada begin conversion to the metric system in the 1970's

I seem to remember an eighties TV mountie in new york show where he was complaining about miles instead of km.

And please don't tell me Canadians call aluminium "aluminum". I would seriously have to reconsider my admiration for the Canadian people seriously if they do. ( I am a touch fickle for an Aussie)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
faffi
7 hours ago, Beemer said:

Since there are no real curves to push my tires/tyres wear mostly in the middle. Can anyone of you veterans tell me what touring tire uses the hardest compound in the center for longer/longest tire wear. Thanks!

The PR3 wears like iron. Swapping to a 170/60 will also give more miles since you end up with a wider, flatter profile, all things else being equal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mjh937

@gregjet, I think he may be referring to how they spell tire. 

99D38E87-8F9F-41BF-8900-8AADF6EACFCF.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gregjet

The word "tyre" in actually VERY old. Originally referred ( and still does really) to the leather or metal band around the outside of a wooden wheel to protect the wheel from road damage. Webster changed it when he rationalized ( see what I did there) the spelling for the US and for some reason ( probably because Canadian tyres came from the US for practical reasons) the spelling migrated toi the US form.

 It does have a problem that webster did not recognize, in that , in an attempt to simplify, he made it confuse with the verb to exhaust or become sleepy ie " I tire of this planet". Law of unintended consequences.

 To a proper English speaker the above sign would be something a boring Canadian would wear. And that would be a rare beast indeed.

 

Edited by gregjet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fzar
21 hours ago, i28 said:

wow. $346...

Just paid around $160 for a set of Bridgestone S21's after rebate so I don't see the appeal of $350 tires.

Fire up a link. Please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
i28
25 minutes ago, fzar said:

Fire up a link. Please.

You can order it from this website 2wheel.com but I wasn't sure of them so I just had revzilla pricematch. Here's the information you'll need to pricematch:


rear tire:
link: https://www.2wheel.com/bridgestone-battlax-s21-radial-rear-tire.html
item number: 300816
price $118.53

 

front tire:
link: https://www.2wheel.com/bridgestone-s21-hypersport-high-performance-front-tire.html
item number: 300813
price 92.82

 

So it costs around $211 shipped and then you can run the bridgestone rebate for $50 back if you order by march 31.
https://bridgestonerewards.com/FindRewards

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fzar

Just a heads-up,https://www.bikebandit.com/deals/pirelli-tire-rebates, just bought a set of Angel ST's for $230.79 and then there's the $50 rebate. $230.79 - $50= $180.79 bikebandit.com is running a clearance on the Angels, so I said I'd give them a try. Good reviews going around. Anyway that's just for pirelli's their doing a few rebate/clearance for different tyre manufacturers, No Michelin.  Free Shipping in the 48.

Edited by fzar
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Redstang4
On 3/24/2018 at 9:59 PM, shinyribs said:

My Conti Motions were around $160-170 mounted and balanced, old tires left behind. Curious how long they will last, but I can't find their grip limit and the air temps have not been over 60 degrees F since I put them on. I can leave my 1/2 mile gravel driveway and be dragging pegs within a mile in 30 degree temps. Cold traction is not a problem with these tires. I'm only at 1200-1300 miles on them so far, but I see no discernible wear. 

 

 

For comparison, since different road surfaces and riding styles impact tread life greatly, I wore my BT 023's slick  in just over 4k miles. Well, the rear tire at least. But the front had developed a steep profile and was handling poorly (twitchy), so it needed replacing even though the tread depth was only getting close to the wear bars.

 

Edit: went to my record book because I know my memory is awful. I was way off! The tires alone were $169, mounting and balancing was another $35 for the pair. $4 tire disposal fee. $216.45 total after sales tax. My tire guy even had a rattle can of blurple paint so my stick-on wheel weights don't show :) Support yer local dudes!

Do I remember correctly that you are in NoVa?  Who is your local tire guy??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pattonme

I get tires done by CrossRoads Cycles (7 corners/baily's crossroads) but that was because it was $25 or 30 each wheel. Now he's up to at least 40 each. That's off bike. I don't know what the charges are for on-bike. Fairfax Cycles might have a decent price, haven't called them up to find out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scotto

Quote from owners manual that came with my '18 07, "After extensive tests, only the tires listed below have been approved for this model by Yamaha. MICHELIN/PILOT ROAD 4, BRIDGESTONE/BT023F F".  

UNBELIEVEABLE!!

I would probably go with the Metzler Roadtec 1 or the Bridgestone T31.  I've heard great things about both.  I've got a local Kawasaki dealer that matches any online price + he only charges $18 for mount and balance for carry in wheel of bike.  Buy local!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AlbatrossCafe

I have the Dunlop Roadsmart III. I put it on at 20k and am now at ~28k. I ride year-round in Seattle.

 

Wet-weather wise, I have noticed a couple slips that caught me off card, but nothing that wasn't too difficult to correct. 99% of the time, they handle as well as I need them to in the pouring rain. Not like I push it very hard anyway.

 

The thing about these tires is that they are wearing very well. At 8k with the Michelin PR4's (and PR3's), were noticeably worn. I would say they were at just under 50% of their life. They began to feel worn around 11k.

 

These Dunlop's seem like they are gonna last to at least 16k at the rate they are going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
faffi

How do they roll? Most feedback suggest that Dunlops are quite hard in the carcass, which make the ride harsher than for instance the PR4s.

 

We got a little less than 9k miles out of the stock PR3s until bald, front and rear going at the same time. The final 600 miles saw the rubber almost evaporating in front of our eyes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.