The MT-07 Forum

Beginner Bike with ABS but I dislike the red color. Vinyl?

thehank

Looking for my beginner bike. Torn between the FZ and the Triumph Triple.

But I despise red - which seems to be the only option with ABS. But considering vinyl wrapping the red parts / anyone else do this?

Also, it seems I'd have to get an aftermarket ECU to adjust the throttle? So that makes it two things to have to do already on a new - to me, bike. Like the Power Commander I've read good reviews about. But this seems to take up money away from aftermarket bits.

Does the FZ-09 have ABS options?

My ultimate goal is to get the BMW r nine t, but figure a lighter bike may be best.

• Global Moderator

Replacement panels are less than 300 to replaace them with whatever stock colour you like

Front fender stay 1/2
Left center and right tank panels
Rear fender covers left/right

Partzilla.com
Yamahapartshouse.com

as far as throttle, not sure what you're meaning... the fz07 has a smooth throttle, just really hard engine braking
There are flash options available as @2wheeldynoworks or @hordboy offer

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Global Moderator

Unfortunately the 2017 red bike has a lot more red panels than any other color FZ-07 as all the tail plastics are red also, so that would make it more expensive to swap out.

As for a first bike there has been a lot of discussion about whether the FZ-07 Is a good starter bike. I am in the camp that thinks a smaller displacement bike would be better for a new rider. You will make mistakes as you learn and a bike with less power and torque will be more forgiving than this bike or a Triumph triple. If you ultimately plan on buying a BMW why not save some money and buy a used smaller bike to learn on and sell for about what you paid in a year or two? Just my $0.02, take it for what it is worth :)

Best thing you probably can do is offer up a panel trade. I'm sure there is someone who really wants all that red on their FZ, and just do a trade for all pieces.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

Cool that your getting into riding but the FZ-07 is not a beginner bike. The guy a bought mine from with 860 miles on it dropped it, he was a beginner too. Got scared and sold it.

Trading, like it's already mentioned, should work just fine for you. I'm sure you'll find someone who's bored of their bike's color and wants the change. If not, vinyl wrapping will do the trick. I've done mine and I was really happy with the result.

The throttle shouldn't be a problem, it's nothing to worry about. And my personal opinion is that the 07 can be a good starter bike.

Here's my bike BTW.

You live close to louisville, KY? i'll swap ya panels lol. I love that red! I'm sure a panel swap will be easy to come by with forums / reddit / fb groups

• Premium Member

The OP isn't asking whether or not this bike is good for a beginner bike or not. That's totally up to him to decide.

To answer your question about the panels, other than trade, do you plan to vinyl wrap it yourself? If you want to do a custom color and save a few bucks, wrap them. But if that's the case, purchasing OEM panels in a different color would save the trouble.

I don't think the throttle needs an ECU... what it needs is THROTTLE CONTROL. This isn't a 250, so if you can't control your throttle, you'll be in for a surprise.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

I know the OP wasn't asking about whether the FZ is a good starter bike, but it's the elephant in the room now and is probably agitating to hear when it's not what he asked.

To the OP:

I think the FZ is fine as a starter bike for a lot of people. Not so much if you are scared of bikes in general or have limited coordination and common sense. It was my first road bike and I have no regrets. I had some years on MX but it's still different. It's a bike with easy throttle control and won't get you into trouble in a hurry. Pick whichever bike you like and take it slow. Only downfall to getting a new(er) bike for a first ride is that most people do drop their first bikes and it would suck to mark up an FZ.

Not to hijack the thread but is ABS all it's cracked up to be? I too started on MX and I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't skid rubber once in a while.

Not to hijack the thread but is ABS all it's cracked up to be? I too started on MX and I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't skid rubber once in a while.
Personally, I think ABS is good for the front tire, you don't want to lock it up. The back tire is different. At times I want to be able to lock it up and swing the rear end in a particular direction and counter steer (like on a dirt bike in the dirt) in emergency maneuvers. Just a side note but I'm glad I learned riding on a dirt bike also because the power slides I learned helped me to control power slides that happened either accidentally or purposely. Many people freak when the rear end kicks out and they lose control. Not good.  

Beemer

You live close to louisville, KY? i'll swap ya panels lol. I love that red! I'm sure a panel swap will be easy to come by with forums / reddit / fb groups
I'm in St. Louis. It may be a while as I may not purchase until after this season or in early 2018. But I'm sure I'll be looking to do it then.

I think the FZ is fine as a starter bike for a lot of people. Not so much if you are scared of bikes in general or have limited coordination and common sense. It was my first road bike and I have no regrets. I had some years on MX but it's still different. It's a bike with easy throttle control and won't get you into trouble in a hurry. Pick whichever bike you like and take it slow. Only downfall to getting a new(er) bike for a first ride is that most people do drop their first bikes and it would suck to mark up an FZ.
I'm not afraid of bikes, since I'm considering one. But I also know not to get onto a 1000cc bike nor a FZ-09. I'm planning on getting some covers or guards for the sides. I'm 31 and drive like an old man with a stick shift. I have a huge park near my place where I can practice in parking lots and slow speeds when nobody else is around.  
Thanks for the comment

I think it depends on the person as to whether they can handle the power and size of the FZ-07 as a beginner bike. Some are smarter than others, some more coordinated, some both and some don't have anything going for them in their favor and simply don't belong on a powerful bike or any bike at all. 

[video src=https://youtu.be/NMUrBIzRcfU]  

Beemer

I'm not afraid of bikes, since I'm considering one. But I also know not to get onto a 1000cc bike nor a FZ-09. I'm planning on getting some covers or guards for the sides. I'm 31 and drive like an old man with a stick shift. I have a huge park near my place where I can practice in parking lots and slow speeds when nobody else is around.  
Thanks for the comment
Sorry, should have clarified that "you" was not directed at you per se, but people in general...

Thanks for the comment
I can remember when 1000cc "sport" bikes weighed over 500 lbs and only barely made 100 hp. The new Street Triple weighs down near 400 lbs and makes similar hp to my 530 lb., 1000cc Aprilia sport tourer.  
"Starter bike" is in the eye of the beholder. 

That said, they are all as fast as your right hand and your ability to hold back or be able to deal with going fast quickly. The FZ07 with its 60 or so HP might just surprise you with the throttle whacked open hard. You can find yourself going way faster than yer brain is able to deal safely with. It's like skiing - once you start wasting precious seconds worrying about falling down, well, you'll be picking yourself up - after you stop tumbling

So, a beginner bike? Well, the FZ is nice and light - that's good. Sadly, the FZ will cost more to insure than the Street Triple cause Yamaha calls it a sport bike and Triumph just calls the Street a std. So if you have the maturity to go easy with the throttle until you get used to just how quickly you can be going fast, sure, they're both beginner's bikes. 

If the weight is not so much an issue and you really don't want to be in the 250 class, have a sit on a base model Bonneville. 

I don't think the R nineT is any harder to learn to ride on than the FZ07. Probably easier in many ways, although a bit more difficult to keep upright at a walking pace. Neither are good bikes for a novice, but if you ride like a granny and are fine riding like a granny, what bike you get doesn't matter much. Buy what you lust for.

If you lack experience and confidence on a bike I might suggest a Honda CB500F. Similar style and won't overpower you... also a lot more forgiving of your learner mistakes. Has abs

I don't think the R nineT is any harder to learn to ride on than the FZ07. Probably easier in many ways, although a bit more difficult to keep upright at a walking pace. Neither are good bikes for a novice, but if you ride like a granny and are fine riding like a granny, what bike you get doesn't matter much. Buy what you lust for.
I'm thinking the RnineT is gonna leave a pretty big hole in the wallet - both out the door and after that 1st fall. 
The R bikes carry their weight surprisingly low, but light, that bike is not. 

I agree with that, but anyone can tip over, even those with lots of experience, if they do things wrong. And while heavy compared to the FZ07, the nineT is only 222 kg, 6 kg lighter than a KZ650 and 8 kg lighter than an XS650, and the same as the US version of the CX500. So not all that much.

The smartest thing a new (and probably experienced) rider can do is take a few classes; a track day with good instructors focusing on basic bike control (brakes, steering, vision) and not speed, and slow speed drills (most slow-speed tipovers happen when the rider hit the front brake instead of the rear brake at a walking pace).

• Premium Member

Get whatever color you most like and don't be overly concerned about ABS.

It's rumored that some, even a few of us here (!), started riding without ABS nor any other electronic gobble-de-gook.  ;)    All the BEST whatever you decide.  

Archived