The MT-07 Forum

trailer hitch carrier

martyinaustin

martyinaustin

I've checked into those and considered buying one that's rated about the same except I have a Toyota RAV4 with the spare tire and case mounted on the back door which may get in my way when loading so I've held off on buying one. I think it will work fine for you on your truck, just use good straps and secure it well. Just guessing but you may need an extra set of strong hands to help. I personally think they're great!

I use this type of strap, the non ratcheting type on my kayak. They've never come loose on me.

https://www.amazon.com/Cartman-Lashing-Straps-600lbs-Carry/dp/B017902W8G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1500903726&sr=8-3&keywords=cargo+tie+down+straps

Beemer

Well, you can put a class 200 hitch on that car if ya want. The real question is what's the the tongue weight rating.

The OE hitch for that car is class 2 with a 1.25" receiver. Max tongue rating is somewhere 3-350lbs. for that class of hitch. That's the max downward load that the hitch (and frame) will handle. Putting on a class 4 hitch (normally found on large trucks with a real frame) back there bumps that up to 1k lbs. But the bigger hitch will not make the body any stronger or the car any longer/heavier.

With all of the weight of the carrier + bike straight down on that hitch as well as behind the rear wheels, you might lift the front wheels some - maybe not into wheelie zone, but enough to make steering unstable. Hit a big bump and amplify the effective weight pushing down, you might find the whole thing tear off the back of the unibody. Hit someone behind you - get a (criminal and civil) lawyer

You've got a nice strong hitch, get a nice light trailer and load it so that most of the weight is just a wee forward of the trailer's axle. Exceed what Subaru built the car to handle by 2x and you may not like the outcome.

Well, you can put a class 200 hitch on that car if ya want. The real question is what's the the tongue weight rating.  
The OE hitch for that car is class 2 with a 1.25" receiver. Max tongue rating is somewhere 3-350lbs. for that class of hitch. That's the max downward load that the hitch (and frame) will handle. Putting on a class 4 hitch (normally found on large trucks with a real frame) back there bumps that up to 1k lbs. But the bigger hitch will not make the body any stronger or the car any longer/heavier.

With all of the weight of the carrier + bike straight down on that hitch as well as behind the rear wheels, you might lift the front wheels some - maybe not into wheelie zone, but enough to make steering unstable. Hit a big bump and amplify the effective weight pushing down, you might find the whole thing tear off the back of the unibody. Hit someone behind you - get a (criminal and civil) lawyer

You've got a nice strong hitch, get a nice light trailer and load it so that most of the weight is just a wee forward of the trailer's axle. Exceed what Subaru built the car to handle by 2x and you may not like the outcome.
Agreed, the steering being affected is one of the things that crossed my mind also when considering getting a carrier like that. Mostly, I've seen them used for smaller, lighter bikes. It's not so much about the weight to pull, it's about how it's suspending it so far back and acting like a lever to raise the front. I doubt your owners manual says anything about carriers and holding weight up in the air like that. Maybe a dealership can help you with your questions also. 

Beemer

I recently carried my <300lb dual sport home using my highlander on a hitch carrier. Technically the car's tongue weight is rated at 500lbs. since I have a tow package. (10% of 5000)
In my opinion though I would rather not carry it like that on my vehicle. The back sags a bit too much for my liking.
If it was a body on frame truck or suv maybe, but even then. I'd rather plan to just build one of those harbor freight folding trailiers. Decently storable and much easier on the tongue weight and very easy to pull.

I wouldn't recommend loading our closer to 400 lb bike, plus the weight of the carrier on your small/mid SUV.

Max tongue weight for a Forester is only 150 lbs! http://www.caranddriver.com/subaru/forester/spec It's one thing to pull a trailer where 90% of the weight is on the trailer's axle and the rest is on the tongue (always have to have some weight there), it's another to put all of that weight hanging on the back end of a unibody not designed to handle it.

I'm on my 3rd Subaru since 1980. Some day there will be a trailer for my Outback. It's gonna be a Triton or other similarly light aluminum instead of a heavy steel utility
trailer.

The Highlander is about 800 lbs GVWR heavier than the Forester and has a bigger wheelbase for sure.

Towing can be done safely. Do it wrong and really bad stuff can happen.

Best not to chance it. One mistake and your bike could be totaled along with other peoples vehicles and worst of all, people could get hurt. I rented a small U-Haul trailer and pulled two bikes from Tehas to Ohio once without any trouble. If you're going to haul the bike a lot then maybe invest in a decent trailer. GL!

Beemer

another thing if you're in a pinch is the uhaul motorcycle trailer. they're only 14.95 per day. hard to beat. I've seen guys pull those to trackdays with jettas, hatchbacks, etc. I've pulled one to a trackday as well, sweet ramp and wheel chock and very easy to use.

martyinaustin
another thing if you're in a pinch is the uhaul motorcycle trailer. they're only 14.95 per day. hard to beat. I've seen guys pull those to trackdays with jettas, hatchbacks, etc. I've pulled one to a trackday as well, sweet ramp and wheel chock and very easy to use.
that was actually my plan A.  probably just go w/ that. 
thanks!

I carry my YZ450F (225lbs) with a rack like that on my Nissan Xterra. It works ok but there's no way I'd haul almost double the weight back there even though the rack is rated for it. This is with a body on frame SUV with stiffer lift springs also. It's a lot of weight hanging a good distance off the back of the vehicle. Not like a trailer hitch that only sticks out 6", that extra leverage makes a big difference.

• Premium Member

Makes my head hurt!!!  I've seen soooo many of those things overloaded and/or "fatigued," hanging down about to drag.

• 1 month later...
On 7/26/2017 at 1:47 PM, martyinaustin said:

that was actually my plan A.  probably just go w/ that. 
thanks!

Did you go the Uhaul route?

If so, how'd that all work out for you?

Looking for a similar solution for my 2010 Ford Escape - so curious about your experience. 

martyinaustin
10 hours ago, seca2 said:

Did you go the Uhaul route?

If so, how'd that all work out for you?

Looking for a similar solution for my 2010 Ford Escape - so curious about your experience. 

didn't do the trip yet, but i'd def go U-Haul.  seems like the simple/easiest way.  good luck!

Archived