The MT-07 Forum

RAMPS!!!

jkzak

Just picked up a truck and have been looking at ramps. there are so many out there its hard to decide. anyone have nay recommendations?

I can't help you on what brand is best but I can suggest to go slow loading, use 'good' help and get a long, wide ramp. 

[video src=https://youtu.be/XRvuuCzckJU]  

Beemer

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

We use this one.

Hubs bought two for a wider area to walk the bikes up. They work perfectly.

Illegitimi non carborundum

I have this one: http://www.discountramps.com/motocross-ramp/p/AFP-9012/

Its titled motocross, but says it's rated for 750 lb weight limit, and our bikes are just 3 pounds shy of 400. Quality built and the hinge is heavy duty, comes with a strap to secure it to a truck so the ramp does not shift. I use mine for going in and out of the living room, works well by myself, obviously recommend 2 people for loading a truck. Hope this helps.

I have a black widow ramp and they are for real. They have a wide street motorcycle ramp too that is very very good, you can walk up on the ramp next to your bike with the wide ramp.

I have the skinny ramp and just bring a folding chair to set next to the ramp to step on when loading/unloading my dirtbike.

I have this one: http://www.discountramps.com/motocross-ramp/p/AFP-9012/ 
Its titled motocross, but says it's rated for 750 lb weight limit, and our bikes are just 3 pounds shy of 400. Quality built and the hinge is heavy duty, comes with a strap to secure it to a truck so the ramp does not shift. I use mine for going in and out of the living room, works well by myself, obviously recommend 2 people for loading a truck. Hope this helps.

Thanks man! this one looks nice and cheap but well built. will probably be picking it up soon

I have two cheap Harbor Freight ramps; no issues after 4-5 uses. 6.5' I think, which made it tough to get into an F-150 I used to own. Backed the truck up to a sidewalk curb and set the ramp there. Decreased the ramp angle and made life easier.

New question same thread.

How is everyone tying their bikes down? I've seen people with ratchet straps to the bars but that seems iffy to me. maybe bend bars? would bottom of triple tree be a better place?

• Premium Member
New question same thread. 
How is everyone tying their bikes down? I've seen people with ratchet straps to the bars but that seems iffy to me. maybe bend bars? would bottom of triple tree be a better place?
A combination of a couple of things. https://bestchoiceproducts.com/collections/automotive/products/best-choice-products-adjustable-motorcycle-stand-wheel-chock-upright-1800lbs-capacity?variant=24885537411
Something like this to hold the bike upright.

As for ratchet straps, they get connected to something like this:
http://www.motosport.com/canyon-dancer-barharness-ii
This is pretty awesome. The ratchet straps go to each end. As you put the straps, the opposite side gets (pulled) tightened.

• Premium Member
I have a black widow ramp and they are for real. They have a wide street motorcycle ramp too that is very very good, you can walk up on the ramp next to your bike with the wide ramp.  
I have the skinny ramp and just bring a folding chair to set next to the ramp to step on when loading/unloading my dirtbike.
Lots of nice suggestions. Thanks! I'm strongly looking real hard at the Discount Ramps's full width Black Widow 4-beam ramps offerings (available in 8-12ft lengths) for solo drive up loading of pretty much anything (1500lbs support) into the back of my truck, thanks to @Cruizin bringing the brand to my attention. It's just what I was looking for at a more than reasonable price IMO.

Discount Ramp's ramp calculator suggest a minimum 8ft length for my variables that include 36 load height. I'm thinking a longer ramp would be more useful in more situations. But I don't know if 9ft would be enough of a difference to even pay for? Or should I just go for bust with the 12ft ramp for max flexibility?

Can I throw in a request for a temporary (non bolt down) wheel chock solution suggestions to be used in a full sized 8ft bed pick-up truck? I figure anyone, such as myself, looking at ramps might be also interested in a chocking solution as well.
If @jkzak feels this is too much of a hijack I'll be more than happy to do a separate post. Good subject though. :)

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Lots of nice suggestions. Thanks! I'm strongly looking real hard at the Discount Ramps's full width Black Widow 4-beam ramps offerings (available in 8-12ft lengths) for solo drive up loading of pretty much anything (1500lbs support) into the back of my truck, thanks to @cruizin bringing the brand to my attention. It's just what I was looking for at a more than reasonable price IMO.

Discount Ramp's ramp calculator suggest a minimum 8ft length for my variables that include 36 load height. I'm thinking a longer ramp would be more useful in more situations. But I don't know if 9ft would be enough of a difference to even pay for? Or should I just go for bust with the 12ft ramp for max flexibility?

Can I throw in a request for a temporary (non bolt down) wheel chock solution suggestions to be used in a full sized 8ft bed pick-up truck? I figure anyone, such as myself, looking at ramps might be also interested in a chocking solution as well.
If @jkzak feels this is too much of a hijack I'll be more than happy to do a separate post. Good subject though. :)

i was looking for a way to change the title to "hauling Bikes" or something like that haha. Wheel chock was actually another question I had. Seems like a way to further secure the bike. I'd be able to drive and not have to look behind me every ten seconds to see if the bike was still there. a piece of mind. 

I've been using a readyramp.com ramp for years and would recommend them highly, especially since it's also a bed extender which was essential for my quad cab Dakota...I also have a cheapie ramp that I use to walk up beside the ready ramp.

• Premium Member

Most common problems I've seen with ramps... for loading everything is TOO short and/or used over capacity.  But, the above vid says it all.   BE SAFE!!!

Archived