The MT-07 Forum

Easiest (cheapest) way to increase tank capacity?

level41

Is there an easy solution to increasing fuel capacity of the bike?
I think stock is about 3 gal?
Would be nice to add 1 to 2 gal.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheapest is to put a 1" block of wood under the side stand when filling up. Takes a few more squirts. That won't help you much, I do realise.

Just do it! 

I have this fantacy about modifying a fuel tank off a KZ1300 DFI to fit as it has a capacity about twice that of the FZ. But it is too much work since it will require also the seat/tail to be modified as well as moving the electrical bits.

The rotopax 1 gallon container could easily be mounted on the Shrike bags mount system, especially if you didn't want the bag on that side...may or may not appeal to you but easy...Mark

Thanks for link FZob1, I was wondering about those gas cans.

• Premium Member

mount a few fuel bottles to the underside of tail piece, maybe use the rear subframe near the passenger pegs for mounting...

extreme option is to remove the filler neck that goes into the tank, just dont leave it super full if sitting around in the heat...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

On a regular bike (with carburetor), it's pretty easy to expand the tank.
But on this bike, I think the fuel pump is mounted in the tank; anyone can confirm that?

If that's the case, I won't be able to just put a T-splitter on the fuel hose and attach it to an external tank.

The idea of adding a small canister of fuel behind the tail light/license tag compartment, seems like a viable solution.
Once I run out of fuel, just add it. 1/2 gallon should get me about 10-20 miles far.
But the canister needs to be small, portable, easy to mount, yet secure (so no one can just steal it); there's so much wrong with trying that...
Unless there's a way to hide the tank somewhere under the body panels, or under the passenger seat?

If your patient you can squeeze more gas in. Have to have a slow fuel pump. Fill it above the plate, let it drop and repeat as often as possible.

]Don't do this if you have a fuel vapor tank like a Calli. bike or are going to park it immediately.

I do love my 7.7 gallon tank on my ST1300.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

• Premium Member

The picture of the scooter at the tourtanks site is pretty funny! 

But, seriously, if you consider ANY kind of auxiliary tank or container(s), do think very hard about even the simplest "incident" like a fall-over or even an easy-esque rear-ender so that it doesn't become a full-blown (no pun intended) catastrophe.  Gasoline is one of the most dangerous things people use everyday; and, most seldom give a thought to doing so, and under what conditions.  

(p.s.: btw, I don't add this last without good reason... I've dealt with a number of racing fuel fires, and am fortunate through good planning, equipment, and TEAM members to be writing about them.)   BE SAFE, first and foremost!!!

USMCFieldMP
Cheapest is to put a 1" block of wood under the side stand when filling up. Takes a few more squirts. That won't help you much, I do realise.

...do you not just sit on the bike when you fill it up? Easiest way to make sure it's full, imo.

...do you not just sit on the bike when you fill it up? Easiest way to make sure it's full, imo.
I never sit on the bike while refuelling. 

Just do it! 

I never sit on the bike while refuelling. 
I never fill mine completely, should leave a little room for gas expansion and besides, on daily rides I usually only burn around a half tank and refill at the end of the ride so no concern about needing extra gas. 

Beemer

Yeah, easiest solution is to carry a backpack with a container of fuel.
I tried a thermos before, but the fuel dissolves the rubber/silicon seal, and eats the plastic cap.

Good that the fuel pump is not in the tank. My CBR had it in the tank, where when the tank was pretty empty, it got really hot.

Yeah, easiest solution is to carry a backpack with a container of fuel. I tried a thermos before, but the fuel dissolves the rubber/silicon seal, and eats the plastic cap.

Good that the fuel pump is not in the tank. My CBR had it in the tank, where when the tank was pretty empty, it got really hot.

I have used a metal MSR fuel can for years and years, stuff in a backpack or tank bag. Never ever had a leak, they are made to hold fuel.

Best price is here https://bit.ly/2uWaNTX Choose your size, wait for delivery, thank me later.

61o2HAb1ySL._SL1000_.jpg

But i also know alot of riders using these soft fuel bladders with great success because they hold alot more fuel. Either 1 or 2 gallons. Strap it on top of tank, or stick in tank bag or backpack.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/giant-loop-fuel-safe-bladder?gclid=Cj0KCQjwktHLBRDsARIsAFBSb6wy_3QHOHxhAsCzcb1AWnjhUdtmrZAZg-liGkf79DOOpA0gVkZHfRIaAh17EALw_wcB

https://www.revzilla.com/product_images/0184/3570/giant_loop_fuel_safe_bladder_detail.jpg

Yeah, easiest solution is to carry a backpack with a container of fuel. I tried a thermos before, but the fuel dissolves the rubber/silicon seal, and eats the plastic cap.

I have used a metal MSR fuel can for years and years, stuff in a backpack or tank bag. Never ever had a leak, they are made to hold fuel.  
Best price is here https://bit.ly/2uWaNTX Choose your size, wait for delivery, thank me later.

61o2HAb1ySL._SL1000_.jpg
This looks like what I was using, but perhaps with a better cap than mine. 

USMCFieldMP
I never fill mine completely, should leave a little room for gas expansion and besides, on daily rides I usually only burn around a half tank and refill at the end of the ride so no concern about needing extra gas.

Your tank has a breather, so that's not an issue. Also, your little 3 gallons of gas aren't going to expand that much. This things are thought of during design and they're accounted for.

I tried a thermos before, but the fuel dissolves the rubber/silicon seal, and eats the plastic cap.

Like... a food grade thermos? Because yeah, that's a bad idea. Whatever you use should be rated for fuel... for multiple reasons.

Your tank has a breather, so that's not an issue. Also, your little 3 gallons of gas aren't going to expand that much. This things are thought of during design and they're accounted for. 

Like... a food grade thermos? Because yeah, that's a bad idea. Whatever you use should be rated for fuel... for multiple reasons.
FYI, Naglene water bottles are fuel proof, come in many sizes up to 64 oz, and are commonly found in camping stores. We used to use them for fuel cells in large gas powered R/C models. 

FYI, Naglene water bottles are fuel proof, come in many sizes up to 64 oz, and are commonly found in camping stores. We used to use them for fuel cells in large gas powered R/C models.
Interesting! Though too bad, the smaller ones can be crushed and leak so easily.

Interesting! Though too bad, the smaller ones can be crushed and leak so easily.

Not true for the ones I sourced, they would sustain a crash in an R/C plane and not rupture, very important to prevent fire. basically crash proof. 

2007.jpg

free upload no registration

IF you have a California model with the charcoal canister you don't want to overfill, fuel will expand and dump raw gas into the charcoal canister and create a flooded start condition. This was a problem on the FZ-09's when parking a full tank in the sun, it seems to have gone away when the owners removed the canister so I would conclude it was the issue. Without the canister it will just vent onto the ground.

Archived