Sign in to follow this  
level41

Easiest (cheapest) way to increase tank capacity?

level41
Is there an easy solution to increasing fuel capacity of the bike?
I think stock is about 3 gal?
Would be nice to add 1 to 2 gal.

robbo10
Cheapest is to put a 1" block of wood under the side stand when filling up. Takes a few more squirts. That won't help you much, I do realise.
  • Like 1

johnakay
see if you can buy compressed fuel.ya might get more in.lol
  • Like 1

faffi
I have this fantacy about modifying a fuel tank off a KZ1300 DFI to fit as it has a capacity about twice that of the FZ. But it is too much work since it will require also the seat/tail to be modified as well as moving the electrical bits.

markstertt
The rotopax 1 gallon container could easily be mounted on the Shrike bags mount system, especially if you didn't want the bag on that side...may or may not appeal to you but easy...Mark

Thanks for link FZob1, I was wondering about those gas cans.

norcal616
mount a few fuel bottles to the underside of tail piece, maybe use the rear subframe near the passenger pegs for mounting...

extreme option is to remove the filler neck that goes into the tank, just dont leave it super full if sitting around in the heat...
  • Like 1

level41
On a regular bike (with carburetor), it's pretty easy to expand the tank.
But on this bike, I think the fuel pump is mounted in the tank; anyone can confirm that?

If that's the case, I won't be able to just put a T-splitter on the fuel hose and attach it to an external tank.

The idea of adding a small canister of fuel behind the tail light/license tag compartment, seems like a viable solution.
Once I run out of fuel, just add it. 1/2 gallon should get me about 10-20 miles far.
But the canister needs to be small, portable, easy to mount, yet secure (so no one can just steal it); there's so much wrong with trying that...
Unless there's a way to hide the tank somewhere under the body panels, or under the passenger seat?

faffi
Do you need it permanently or just for longer rides?
  • Like 1

peteinpa
If your patient you can squeeze more gas in. Have to have a slow fuel pump. Fill it above the plate, let it drop and repeat as often as possible.

]Don't do this if you have a fuel vapor tank like a Calli. bike or are going to park it immediately.

I do love my 7.7 gallon tank on my ST1300.
  • Like 2

avanti
The picture of the scooter at the tourtanks site is pretty funny! 

But, seriously, if you consider ANY kind of auxiliary tank or container(s), do think very hard about even the simplest "incident" like a fall-over or even an easy-esque rear-ender so that it doesn't become a full-blown (no pun intended) catastrophe.  Gasoline is one of the most dangerous things people use everyday; and, most seldom give a thought to doing so, and under what conditions.  

(p.s.: btw, I don't add this last without good reason... I've dealt with a number of racing fuel fires, and am fortunate through good planning, equipment, and TEAM members to be writing about them.)   BE SAFE, first and foremost!!!

• Like 2

USMCFieldMP
Cheapest is to put a 1" block of wood under the side stand when filling up. Takes a few more squirts. That won't help you much, I do realise.

...do you not just sit on the bike when you fill it up? Easiest way to make sure it's full, imo.
  • Like 1

robbo10
...do you not just sit on the bike when you fill it up? Easiest way to make sure it's full, imo.
I never sit on the bike while refuelling. 

Beemer
I wonder if the bikes frame will hold liquid, safely, without leaking???  ::)