The MT-07 Forum

bike stalls frequently

pjohn

whats up everyone

ok so my bike stalls too often now since i installed my M4 slip on exhaust. usually happens in first gear when I'm at a stop and trying to get going. I know our bikes have this stalling issue and I've experienced it few times but now with the new exhaust its happening frequently. why is this happening? and will an ECU flash fix this problem?

thanks all,

pete

• Premium Member

It remains to be seen what is going on with your particular bike, but if your data-collection is accurate in that the problem is significantly more frequent with the new exhaust, then certainly, do an appropriate reflash for your system and see what happens. It's hard to imagine that it would hurt... it might help. However, don't be surprised if there proves to be more involved. As you note, others have had stalling problems and with stock bikes. All the best!

Let me add a personal addendum... when I got my 07 I experienced the "starting stall" a few times but I cannot recall the last time it happened.  What has changed... really?   The only thing I can identify is my facility in riding the bike, learning the specific throttle and clutch aspects of the bike.  (btw, my bike is entirely stock in terms of running gear, so I've not had to relearn... fortunately, hehehe)

Never experianced it.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Does it stall while you are sitting idle? Or does it stall while you are trying to go from a stop? Just wondering.

Mine has done it from the beginning and what I do is make sure I'm giving it plenty of steady (no blipping) throttle before I start to release the clutch. it never stalls when I do that. From my observations, if you're a little light on the throttle when releasing the clutch it will stall at times, not every time but sometimes you can tell it started to. With this bike it kinda feels like the clutch grabs a lot, quickly. An flash tune should help, as others have claimed it did for them.

Beemer

Does it stall while you are sitting idle? Or does it stall while you are trying to go from a stop? Just wondering.

No it doesn't stall when in idle and yes it stalls when trying to go from a stop.

Mine has done it from the beginning and what I do is make sure I'm giving it plenty of steady (no blipping) throttle before I start to release the clutch. it never stalls when I do that. From my observations, if you're a little light on the throttle when releasing the clutch it will stall at times, not every time but sometimes you can tell it started to. With this bike it kinda feels like the clutch grabs a lot, quickly. An flash tune should help, as others have claimed it did for them.

Yea i do the same thing now but sometimes I forget and stall at the light lol embarrassing. I need to save money for that flash

Yea i do the same thing now but sometimes I forget and stall at the light lol embarrassing. I need to save money for that flash
I hear ya, I've been wanting to get a flash tune for some time now but my wallet finger seems to be frozen. It will happen eventually. A flash tune does so much more for your bike it's hard to say no to one even without any big problems. God speed on that money for you. (Can I say god?)  ;) 

Beemer

Oh damn, I should've read your post when I wasn't preoccupied. It already says when it stalled. My bad.

Hey, you ride a car with manual transmission by any chance? I kept stalling the FZ (in stock form) in the beginning because I was treating it like a car, trying to balance the clutch optimally to save the clutch from wearing out, but then people pointed out that the motorcycle transmission is more hardy and you can put on a lot of throttle before engaging the clutch. So after knowing that, I never stalled out afterwards.

But it turns out, it is just a modern Yamaha characteristic because my Kawasaki, I can literally balance the clutch like it was a car and it never stalls out.

Mine (completely stock) used to do this stalling thing. After sitting at a light, just touch the throttle to get the revs up and choke it would be dead. Happened 1 time this summer out of the blue and really caught me by surprise as it hasn't happened in quite some time.

I suspect it has a lot to do with the air-fuel mix at idle being stupid lean. Crack the throttle open just as the pistons are at the wrong orientation (that wonderful sound and torque from the 270 degree crank also creates a big chunk of dead, non-ignition space in the crank's rotation) and just a bit more air gets in before the computer/injetcors responds with more fuel and cough, it dies.

If that's the case and just adding a slip-on pipe seems to make it worse, then a proper reflash to add in a bit more fuel at idle should help.

If the bike is still pretty new, think I would live with it a bit as the stalling does seem to go away with some miles .

Unplugging the O2 sensor helped on mine till I got the dealer to turn up the fuel mix a bit,
unplugging the o2 did not put a error light on on mine but I would not leave it like that for
to long as it can damage the o2 sensor, if it works get a o2 sensor eliminator like this,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxygen-lambda-o2-sensor-eliminator-Complete-kit-Yamaha-MT-07/261825655578

I never even knew this was an issue. I think my bike's stalled twice and both times were user error. Maybe it's something they fixed with the '17's.

I never even knew this was an issue. I think my bike's stalled twice and both times were user error. Maybe it's something they fixed with the '17's.
Yep, a quiet fix would surprise no one. Problem, what problem? lol. 

Some bikes just don't seem to do it,
mine only did it when mad hot say after
a long run or if shut down and restarted
a few min later, it as never done it since
it was set a tuch richer and it gets better
as the bike runs in, it can also do it on down
changes as you lift the clutch to blip the throttol
it stalls so when you let the clutch out the rear
wheel near locks as it as to spin the engine back up
this could be whats happening when riders clame
the bike as to much engine braking, they only realy
took notice of mine when I claimed it was a safety issue.

• Premium Member

the FZ-07 has a very short engagement window... requires one to give it a tad more gas than normal to get going, motorcycle clutch can take alot of abuse conpared to a normal 5sp manual transmission car...its okay to slip the clutch a bit to get going... I had a stall once or twice, a few miss shifts, always blamed it on me, the machine is only doing what I told it to do, one time it was my choice of socks -_-

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

thanks everyone for their input. i def need that ECU flash and it better fix this issue. i just came back from a long ride and the bike stalled twice, this is getting annoying. time to work OT  ;-|

It's the freer flowing muffler throwing out the o2 sensor as mentioned above.

An ecu tune will get around this.

There has been much discussion of this on another MT site over the years. Yamaha denied there was a problem and "they could not replicate it" in a test. But it was real enough.

Just do it! 

Unplugging the O2 sensor helped on mine till I got the dealer to turn up the fuel mix a bit, unplugging the o2 did not put a error light on on mine but I would not leave it like that for
to long as it can damage the o2 sensor, if it works get a o2 sensor eliminator like this,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxygen-lambda-o2-sensor-eliminator-Complete-kit-Yamaha-MT-07/261825655578

I disconnected the o2 sensor yesterday and went for a ride. The bike didn't stall but it was just a quick ride cas it was about to rain so not really sure if it helped. I'll leave it disconnect for now

Archived