The MT-07 Forum

If you could ride your FZ anywhere, where would it be?

zombiphone

Hi guys! 

Been a while since I've been on this forum, but just thought I'd say hi and talk about dreamy things! I just finished hitting the very end of the road in North America in Panama just outside the Darien Gap (Trip complete with getting sniffed by a cockerspaniel for drugs at a military checkpoint. Cutest Narc ever), and am heading back stateside to regroup a bit before choosing where to take my FZ next, so it got me curious-

We all love riding our FZ's, but if one day you were going to ship/ride your bike anywhere in the world, what country would you want to go to and why? From my experience, it's a surprisingly capable dirt platform, too, so realistically, most anywhere is fair game! (well, assuming the country has roads traversable by, say, a subaru and not only full jeep status vehicles)

Personally, I'm thinking I want to do Southeast asia (Japan, thailand, etc) next, although I don't know if that might be a little TOO extreme of dirt riding in spots, haha. Riding across Russia and seeing Siberia is also pretty up there, or exploring Australia or following the Irish Road racing circuit and Moto GP Europe, and then eventually south america when I've saved up some money again so I can afford more extracurricular down there.

Anyone else have some bucket list spots they want to ride?

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

Just off the top of my head I'm thinking Spain would be cool, especially if you go down south and ride your bike up the Rock of Gibraltar. That would be awesomely scenic, I think. Or, If one could ship their bike to Bora Bora (and be allowed to ride there) that would be the sh*t but also, tremendously expensive to stay there soooooo maybe just the main island of Tahiti.

Gibraltar.jpg

bora_bora_lagoon_resort.jpg

Beemer

Just off the top of my head I'm thinking Spain would be cool, especially if you go down south and ride your bike up the Rock of Gibraltar. That would be awesomely scenic, I think. Or, If one could ship their bike to Bora Bora (and be allowed to ride there) that would be the sh*t but also, tremendously expensive to stay there soooooo maybe just the main island of Tahiti. 

Gibraltar.jpg

bora_bora_lagoon_resort.jpg

I think I'd love spain, too, even if just to see Jerez and Catalunya and such.  

I wonder how tough it would be to get a motorcycle to a place like Bora Bora. I've never been even just on a normal vacation, but if it's anything like latin america's resorts, you could probably get one of those little 125-200cc not-quite-dirtbikes-but-not-quite-scooters to tour around there! But yeah, also if it's anything like central america, places like cancun or cabo parts of Belize or Costa Rica, etc etc etc are uncharacteristically expensive for the area, and not actually the most fantastic scenery the area has to offer, so a more modest island might be a better ride anyways. I kind of want to do it too now, haha

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

• Premium Member

The Moon !
you said anywhere just saying....

So many places to see in the US I'm staying state side but I know a European vacation would be sweet. I know some guys that have done it and say its amazing.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member

The Yucatan Peninsula, or any part of South America if I couldn't be picky.

Brittany, France.

And India, starting south and working up towards the Himalayas and Tibet.

And riding around Oahu has been really nice, but you only need a few days and are better off to just rent.

Everything went braap.

Brittany, France.

And riding around Oahu has been really nice, but you only need a few days and are better off to just rent.
Ugh, yeah, when I finished my 49 states tour, I started looking into shipping a motorcycle to Hawaii just so I could call it an even 50, but everywhere I looked, it was more expensive to ship there than it is to ship to Europe! I'd still love to see it one day, but probably not reasonable to do it on the FZ. How are the roads there? 

The Moon ! you said anywhere just saying....

So many places to see in the US I'm staying state side but I know a European vacation would be sweet. I know some guys that have done it and say its amazing.

The US is waaaaay more amazing than people give it credit for! I'm pretty sure you can find nearly every climate on earth in one state or another (And culture shock from west coast to east coast or anywhere vs the south makes it feel like whole other countries anyways, haha). I mean, I'd also love to see Europe, but the US is definitely not disappointing

• Premium Member
Brittany, France.

Ugh, yeah, when I finished my 49 states tour, I started looking into shipping a motorcycle to Hawaii just so I could call it an even 50, but everywhere I looked, it was more expensive to ship there than it is to ship to Europe! I'd still love to see it one day, but probably not reasonable to do it on the FZ. How are the roads there? 

There are some really nice routes @liv2ride gave me a grand tour of some great areas and I had 3 other days I just went wherever I could.

Early mornings are best, it gets pretty congested at times and the UV index is in the upper levels. Lots of international (bad) drivers and tourists.

Pali highway, any of the coastal highways (all 2 of em) and some really twisty roads throughout the mountains and residential neighborhoods. Green, slippery plant material grows in the shade of mountain roads and you have buses that use these same roads. It can be perilous, but I'm alive.

Road conditions are so-so. A lot of patches, cracks and potholes in places. It's mostly about the scenery and if you find yourself in the right place at the right time, you can be a bit less cautious. Also, rain comes and goes in an instant on the windward side and in the ridges and valleys.

I can give you the contact info for a friend who runs a rental outfit if you find yourself out here, you'll be treated like Ohana. (family)

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member
The Moon ! you said anywhere just saying....

The US is waaaaay more amazing than people give it credit for! I'm pretty sure you can find nearly every climate on earth in one state or another (And culture shock from west coast to east coast or anywhere vs the south makes it feel like whole other countries anyways, haha). I mean, I'd also love to see Europe, but the US is definitely not disappointing

Yeah I've been around and I agree. Yellowstone would be one I want to do on a bike you could hit up a few National parks in that area but Yellow stone is so far my favorite National Park of course you would be a easy snack for the animals on a bike lol

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Definitely Europe. South coast of France, Stelvio and lake Como in Italy. Germany, Switzerland......just everywhere. I've been wanting to do that for years. Even before i had this bike haha

Definitely Europe. South coast of France, Stelvio and lake Como in Italy. Germany, Switzerland......just everywhere. I've been wanting to do that for years. Even before i had this bike haha
What's stopping you? I'll meet you there, and we'll ride, haha!

everyone's goals are so big, I just wanna go to the track and the dragon a few more times this year lol. 3 days in the deals gap area is an amazing stress relief.

Yeah I've been around and I agree. Yellowstone would be one I want to do on a bike you could hit up a few National parks in that area but Yellow stone is so far my favorite National Park of course you would be a easy snack for the animals on a bike lol
Would being Cap'n Crunch be such a bad thing? Ha! 

Beemer

What's stopping you? I'll meet you there, and we'll ride, haha!

Hahahaha well thats all the convincing i needed. On a serious note, if any of you crazy kids makes your way to Western Australia let me know. I'll definitely be more than happy to take you out to a few cool areas around here

• Global Moderator

@zombiphone
Southeast asia would be a blast, thailand vietnam korea.... maybe take it to japan? A little homecoming for the f-zombie

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Remember. You dont have to outrun the bear, you just have to outride your buddy.

@zombiphone Southeast asia would be a blast, thailand vietnam korea.... maybe take it to japan? A little homecoming for the f-zombie
YESSSSS- I think Japan specifically is top of my list! I went there 2 years ago to climb mount fuji (*coughAnd for nerd thingscough*), and between the super inexpensibe, crazy good sushi and the gorgeous landscape, I can't wait to go there on a motorcycle! The FZ needs at least one trip to its motherland, haha.  

..... Plus, when you spend every single day on a motorcycle riding too many miles, all those hot springs don't hurt. I'm really torn on where I want to go next, but there's a really strong argument in favor of Japan 

Remember. You dont have to outrun the bear, you just have to outride your buddy.
Also the first rule of the Zombie Apocalypse  

Also the first rule of the Zombie Apocalypse  

I enjoyed reading your story on motorcyclist. Keep at it!

@zombiphone Southeast asia would be a blast, thailand vietnam korea.... maybe take it to japan? A little homecoming for the f-zombie
YESSSSS- I think Japan specifically is top of my list! I went there 2 years ago to climb mount fuji (*coughAnd for nerd thingscough*), and between the super inexpensibe, crazy good sushi and the gorgeous landscape, I can't wait to go there on a motorcycle! The FZ needs at least one trip to its motherland, haha.  

..... Plus, when you spend every single day on a motorcycle riding too many miles, all those hot springs don't hurt. I'm really torn on where I want to go next, but there's a really strong argument in favor of Japan 

Actually japan would be amazing. I couldnt go there with my bike and not try and do a lap of suzuka. But I'd need a shipping container for all the model kits I'd bring back ?

• Global Moderator

I dont blame you one bit... bring me back some nigiri, and ramen

Wait... what nerd stuff? you werent part of the Power ranger larping, were you?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

Long time, no see @zombiphone!

I wish I could tell you but I haven't really considered where to go anywhere in the world... I've just moved to the bay area in CA and I'm just trying to make my way around here. There are some great roads up here.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Archived