The MT-07 Forum

Need advice on how to remove baffle from Akrapovic Ti

Kazicht

I know some of you guys here who have the Akrapovic Titanium and have successfully removed the baffle.

I casually tried to pull the thing out with a spring puller and some WD-40 as lube (after removing the screw) but it wouldn't budge. Didn't try to heavy-hand as I want to avoid any damage to the muffler.

I like the sound with the baffle in, but just wanted to see for myself the difference of having it out.

Any tips on how to get a nice and clean removal?

FZ07 Mods: Akrapovic Ti - Shorai Lithium Battery - Pazzo Levers - OEM Flyscreen

Make sure to only pull on the 2 tubes in the middle.

Get yourself some vise grips and a hammer and alternate between pulling on the two tubes. There's no way to avoid damage to the baffle if you want to pull it out.

I just made a device to remove the AKRA T1 baffle because I'm modding a stock baffle for a little bit more noise. I'll be testing it in a day or two and let you guys know how it works without doing ANY damage at all to the baffle.

Congress is the only whore house in the United States that loses money.

The Ti isn't a straight through muffler is it? Because I've had luck in the past with tapping baffles out from the other side with a wooden dowel.

Maybe another alternative would be a set of soft faced pliers? Something that wouldn't mar the finish on the baffle when you grab it to pull it out.

No experience with the akra but on my last bike with curvd cobra exhaust I used a seal puller from harbor freight and a sledgehammer. The baffle got a little dinged up but they came out.

The Akra baffle has two 20mm tubes that are only ONE millimeter in thickness. Any attempt to grab that tube with pliers or vice grips or any other tool known to man...will damage it.

I just made a device to remove the AKRA T1 baffle because I'm modding a stock baffle for a little bit more noise. I'll be testing it in a day or two and let you guys know how it works without doing ANY damage at all to the baffle.
Looking forward to your results!

The Ti isn't a straight through muffler is it? Because I've had luck in the past with tapping baffles out from the other side with a wooden dowel. 
Maybe another alternative would be a set of soft faced pliers? Something that wouldn't mar the finish on the baffle when you grab it to pull it out.
I was looking into the muffler the other day and it looks like without the baffle in it turns into a straight through muffler and with the baffle in it closes off the gap with the tubes and forces the exhaust through a second chamber and then out through the baffle/exhaust tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had my baffle out again yesterday testing two different baffle removal "tools". From what I see inside the Akra....the exhaust gas goes into chamber number one....and passes around the sides of the two exit tubes....and into chamber number two. From chamber two it travels back towards the front..turns again and goes into chamber three. Chamber three is the one in the middle that has the two exits...that travel out to the baffle.

So in effect...the exhaust gases have to make 3 different u-turns before entering those two long exit tubes. No wonder it's quiet huh?

By Monday i'll have refined the baffle removal tool so it can be easily used. I intend to send one of them free to Dobek so they can remove the AKRA baffles without any damage or marks. Once they have it...they can map for an AKRA T1 without the baffle in it.

My modded baffle for a little more noise is going to take another week at least to get made and welded up.

• Premium Member
I had my baffle out again yesterday testing two different baffle removal "tools". From what I see inside the Akra....the exhaust gas goes into chamber number one....and passes around the sides of the two exit tubes....and into chamber number two. From chamber two it travels back towards the front..turns again and goes into chamber three. Chamber three is the one in the middle that has the two exits...that travel out to the baffle.  
So in effect...the exhaust gases have to make 3 different u-turns before entering those two long exit tubes. No wonder it's quiet huh?

By Monday i'll have refined the baffle removal tool so it can be easily used. I intend to send one of them free to Dobek so they can remove the AKRA baffles without any damage or marks. Once they have it...they can map for an AKRA T1 without the baffle in it.

My modded baffle for a little more noise is going to take another week at least to get made and welded up.
Nice work!  This will help a bunch of folks.  Thank you Sir! 
- Paulie

Any update on your progress olderthendirt? 
I wouldn't mind purchasing a tool from you if it makes the removal easy and clean. If available of course.

• Premium Member

I have my Akra sitting in a box at home. I will check into the angled joint pliers method. Once removed I don't plan on putting it back in, but if I do I will be cutting the inner pipes of the db killer so I won't have an issue if I need to remove it again. Seems like a design flaw if you ask me. If they were going to make it difficult enough to damage the insert make a special removal tool.

I finally got my DB killer out after a 20 minute battle with a pair of channel locks and a rubber mallet. That thing was really in there and extremely difficult to remove. I don't plan on putting it back in either but if I do, I'll be chopping the inner pieces right like gaz will be doing.

I chopped the inner tubes on my original baffle and yes it does make the noise level perfect but I believe it's not letting the exhaust flow efficiently. If you think about it with the baffle in it's going through all the chambers of the muffler and then out through those tubes and with the baffle out its pretty much a straight through muffler. Now if you cut those tubes in half I feel like it's shooting the exhaust gasses out towards the baffle and hitting it. Then there's no guidance of where the gasses should go so it just fills the muffler until it finds its way out. It's just a theory but I believe cutting the tubes in half is actually making a restriction in the exhaust rather than helping it by having an indirect flow of exhaust gasses. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

How I see it is its kind of like building a muffler with no tail pipe And then sticking 2 little tubes in the side randomly for the exhaust gasses to get out. Just doesn't seem like something I would wanna do which is why I ordered a replacement baffle.

• 5 weeks later...

Little late to the game, but might help someone down the road. To get mine out, I took a long phillips/cross-tip screwdriver (the kind you use to get to carbs, adjustment screws, etc.) and tapped it out thru the inlet. No perceptible damage to the baffle. You can get them at Harbor Fright, TSC, Sears, etc.

• Premium Member

Did anyone's Akrapovic DB killer bolt come like this?
20141030_162720_zps891fc1e2.jpg

Before I mounted the exhaust I tried everything I could to get the DB set into place so the bolt was flush with the hole. Rubber mallet, piece of wood and hammer it. I was unsuccessful and in the process stripped out the hex bolt. Any suggestions? Pretty soon I'm going to take off the muffler part and JB weld on an Allen wrench and try to unscrew it from there to get past the stripped part. If that doesn't work I plan on drilling it out.

• Premium Member

I definitely unscrewed it a little but once the bolt hit the exhaust the torque stripped the hex head of the bolt. The bolt isn't centered in that hole because it came from the factory like this. I pounded on it pretty hard (there's no damage), but the insert wouldn't go in any farther. The DB killer needs to be pushed literally millimeters back into the exhaust. It just won't budge.

I had some issues getting the screw out. Was disappointed in the fit/finish at that point, but it came out nonetheless, just had to back it out of the threadsert and then wiggle it out from there. Tested immediately and was able to get the screw started to re-install. I wasnt planning on using the db killer, but if I do end up re-installing, I was going to clean it up with some sandpaper to loosen it up a little.

• Premium Member
I had some issues getting the screw out. Was disappointed in the fit/finish at that point, but it came out nonetheless, just had to back it out of the threadsert and then wiggle it out from there. Tested immediately and was able to get the screw started to re-install. I wasnt planning on using the db killer, but if I do end up re-installing, I was going to clean it up with some sandpaper to loosen it up a little.
Thanks. I plan on taking my muffler off tomorrow to see if I can get it out. If it helps I read over on the MT07 forums of people cutting the internal pipes in half. As you probably already know that those internal pipes expand which is why everyone has issues getting them out. This solves the problem of the insert not coming out easy. Also, if you want the exhaust louder but want to leave the insert in, drill holes in the internal pipes. I just don't think this exhaust is loud enough with the insert in, for my taste.  

Thanks. I plan on taking my muffler off tomorrow to see if I can get it out. If it helps I read over on the MT07 forums of people cutting the internal pipes in half. As you probably already know that those internal pipes expand which is why everyone has issues getting them out. This solves the problem of the insert not coming out easy. Also, if you want the exhaust louder but want to leave the insert in, drill holes in the internal pipes. I just don't think this exhaust is loud enough with the insert in, for my taste.

When you say internal pipes, do you mean the ones the baffle connects to on the outlet? Wondering if that would effect performance. When I took a look at the internals of the pipe, it's either a couple of passes with the baffle in or straight through without the baffle. On my KTM, the baffles were the equivalent of cutting the tubes off the end of the FZ system baffle. If holes were drilled in the tubes, I'm wondering if exhaust would be pushed out the holes creating even more back pressure in the system. 

I def agree... too quiet. The system is bruce banner when the baffle is installed, when I take it out, it's angry like Hulk.

• Premium Member
I def agree... too quiet. The system is bruce banner when the baffle is installed, when I take it out, it's angry like Hulk.
lol. 
The internal pipes I'm referring to are the two pipes (of the insert) that sit inside the exhaust (not the ones pointing outside the exhaust). Modifying the two pipes (insert) that face the outside will do absolutely nothing, besides cosmetic. I don't think that this would hurt performance anymore than having a non modified insert in. I almost feel like having the insert in right now creates some back pressure because of how small the insert transforms the air flow when it exits. I do seem to have a lot more vibration from my exhaust than with stock. I'm not exhaust expert by any means this is just my observation.

• Premium Member

So I spent about 3 hours getting out this baffle (insert). I truly believe that my exhaust was not built correctly. I know people have issues with getting the baffle out but mine was on a different level. I will explain why. First the baffle was not fully into the exhaust so the screw was stripped. I had to drill out the screw which in turn destroyed the insert as the piece (threads) that is welded on for the screw to go in came off. Now to get this baffle out it took about 30-40 minutes of vise-grip hammer pounding and we're not talking about taps. I will be contacting Akrapovic to see if they can send me a new insert which i doubt will be going back in.

Here is the awesome technique we used on the muffle to get the baffle out:
20141102_175547_zpsa324eef6.jpg

Here is the baffle after it was out:
20141102_175728_zps5a2c5e69.jpg

Here are the casualties of war:
20141102_180446_zps2aa3c8b7.jpg

There is some discoloration of the metal where I had to heat up the bolt area to remove it. However, once installed this is not noticeable. This is an extremely poor design on Akrapovic's part and I don't care that they say its not recommended to remove the baffle. My response would be don't create a removable baffle then.

Archived