The MT-07 Forum

renthal ultra low vs woodcraft clip ons

rhino

Replaced the stock bars with renthal ultra low, now debating getting woodcraft clip ons (likely 1.5" rise as seems the most common).

How do the two compare in riding position?  With the Woodcrafts, do they hit the tank if installed in the down position?

Do track my bike about once a month, but besides that it is a daily commuter.  Would the Woofcrafts be a better choice for track?

@rhin0 I'm not certain myself, but I'm sure Paul at @bellissimoto would be able to sort you out. He has Woodcrafts on his fz-07, and once you figure out what you'd like you can even order them through him since they're a supporting vendor! Best of luck to you.

EDIT: Here is the link to his build: https://fz07.org/thread/2583/paulies-fz-07-motogp-edition

If you scroll down to the controls section in the initial post he mentions using 1.5" risers in the down position. Pics above that should give you a good idea of the position. I hope that helps!

I have the woodcrafts in 1.5" and in the down position. At full lock it'll punch your thumb, but bars won't actually touch the tank, I'll send pics once I'm back on the bike.
I've had the ace clubmans- too aggressive, atleast for me. They would hit the plastics without even locking out.. so turn radius was sh*t.
Drag bars- I liked em but I wanted something a bit more aggressive. Great bars for commuting tho.. if you wan something lower than the stock upright bars...
Stock bar... well everybody knows lol..

• 2 weeks later...
I have the woodcrafts in 1.5" and in the down position. At full lock it'll punch your thumb, but bars won't actually touch the tank, I'll send pics once I'm back on the bike. I've had the ace clubmans- too aggressive, atleast for me. They would hit the plastics without even locking out.. so turn radius was sh*t.
Drag bars- I liked em but I wanted something a bit more aggressive. Great bars for commuting tho.. if you wan something lower than the stock upright bars...
Wouldn't installing the 1.0" Riser in the down position give the thumb clearance? 

Does seem that the 1.5" rise is the more popular option.

I have the woodcrafts in 1.5" and in the down position. At full lock it'll punch your thumb, but bars won't actually touch the tank, I'll send pics once I'm back on the bike. I've had the ace clubmans- too aggressive, atleast for me. They would hit the plastics without even locking out.. so turn radius was sh*t.
Wouldn't installing the 1.0" Riser in the down position give the thumb clearance? 

Does seem that the 1.5" seems to be the more popular option.

I like the lower position more, and it's not often you have to lock out the bars, so yea the 1.5 seems to be the more popular option

Had Renthal ultralows on( my bar of first choice on bikes for years for the road). Got the Woodcrafts ( 1" rise up) and while the woodies are definitely better control and allow you to load the front better, I am swapping back to the Ultralows, as the woodie bars produce a fair bit extra vibration ( just unpleasantly so). Now NOTE, I have swapped the bar rubber isolator mounts for some solid turned aluminium ones. These transmit more vibration than the rubber ones,but with the ultralows it is not an issue. I don't like rubber mounted bars.
On the track ,no contest. Woodies would definitely be better.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Thanks for the photos.

Looks like you can buy the different risers (1" or 1.5") for $75 from Woodcraft (decisions, decisions)

Guess when using the stock bar mounts, there is a semi-circle opening from where the handlebars used to sit. Minor item, but has anyone found anything for this?

Thanks for the photos. 
Looks like you can buy the different risers (1" or 1.5") for $75 from Woodcraft (decisions, decisions)

Guess when using the stock bar mounts, there is a semi-circle opening from where the handlebars used to sit. Minor item, but has anyone found anything for this?

I think I know what you're talking about. You don't see the hole unless you're actually looking for it. But if you really want to cover it up, you could find a "half-moon seal" somewhere in an auto parts store or ebay/Amazon and make it fit and cover the gap between the mount and the woodcraft plate.

• 1 year later...
On 7/18/2017 at 2:50 PM, vchep2 said:

I've had the ace clubmans- too aggressive, atleast for me. They would hit the plastics without even locking out.. so turn radius was sh*t.

Do you have any pix of the Ace bars on your bike? That's what I'm thinking of doing as a cheaper alternative to the Woodcraft unit.

Go with ape hangers

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I tried Clubmans and the cables were an issue ( NOTE: I have WAY too many bike bits sitting around). I had until recently some aluminium flatbars. Very nice actually. Hard to find and I can't remember where I got them.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member

I have the Woodcraft 1" riser plate and bars on a shelf in the garage waiting to be installed. I'm thinking I'm going with them in the down position, I'll have to mess around with them to see whats a better fit for me. I find the OEM bars way to vertical for me, anyway I have to get some other stuff done on my bike before I get to the Woodie's.

On 8/29/2018 at 7:44 AM, fhilliard41 said:

Do you have any pix of the Ace bars on your bike? That's what I'm thinking of doing as a cheaper alternative to the Woodcraft unit.

IMG_5562.PNG

IMG_5724.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I got the Ace bars and realized I would have to space them up to put them on, and the angle was too aggressive. So, I went with the Renthal Ultra Low bars after cutting an inch off each end. This brought them to 26.8" which is about the stock width. The result is, for me, perfection; like riding a Triumph Thruxton R. I'm still waiting for the LSL bar ends which will match the LSL crash pads.

I think the side view gives the bike a more Bison-like big-shoulder look with the Renthals. BTW, those are Grab-On covers on the regular grips. You can see the Speedo Healer top speed indicator button just to the left of the right mirror clamp. It's a very small red button.

RenthalUltraLow.jpg

SideViewRenthalUltraLow.jpg

Archived