The MT-07 Forum

Upgraded in Colorado

sbradp

Hi all,

Traded my first bike (CBR500R) for this FZ-07 two Saturdays back, then went out of town for a week. Finally got to put a couple hundred miles on her in the mountains this past weekend, and have been commuting to work this week.

IMG_2921_JPG.jpg

image hosting private

IMG_2922_JPG.jpg

free image hosting for ebay

I would have preferred the glacier blue color, but this '16 leftover was a much better bargain. The dealer had installed a tail tidy kit with integrated turn signals, and swapped the goofy front turn signals for the smoked-lens flush signals. They look better, but they aren't very visible in daylight, so I'll probably swap them soon.

It's been a blast so far. I've been riding for about four years now, mostly on the 500. I test rode several different bikes, including the FZ-09, but in the end decided that this is better bang for the buck.

I look forward to scouring the site for tips!

• Premium Member

Welcome!

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member

Welcome
If you decide on the glacier blue later, you can always swap of the plastics and it should be a little less than $200.

Welcome and congrats on a nice bike! Tell us what you think about the FZ-07's engine compared to the 500's you were riding. 

Beemer

I'm up to about 350 miles now (my commute is only about 6 miles each way), but here are my impressions so far:

[ul type=disc][*]The 500's engine was perfect for a beginning rider, but it started to feel anemic after a while. It was very linear: the more you revved it, the more power it made, right up to its max of 47 hp/36 lb-ft (I think). The FZ-07's engine makes enough torque at 3000 rpm that I can cruise along in a higher gear and pass without downshifting. [*]The FZ's exhaust sounds great compared to the 500. The only noises I could hear on the 500 at highway speeds were the intake and the wind around me. The FZ's exhaust makes a nice little growl that's loud enough without being annoying.[*]Fuel economy is not as good in the FZ as the 500, but it's still darned good. I averaged 56 mpg in my first tank. Maybe the fuel warning light is too pessimistic, but it seems like the range is way too short. I just discovered the last-gallon "reserve" trip meter, so I'll use that to wring more miles out of this tank.[/ul][div]
Overall I love the engine. It's strong and extremely tractable.

I'm less enthusiastic about the fork and shock. The CBR500R had a very soft, cushy feel that was fine around town, but made me less confident on the twisty canyon roads. So far the FZ feels only slightly better than that bike. I think the wider bar and more upright position help with the confidence factor, but I'm thinking that a suspension upgrade will make a good winter project for this bike. Feel free to point me to your favorite suspension kits, parts, processes--whatever.

[/div]

BTW, do you know how lucky you are to be able to ride around there? That is gorgeous! I'd almost give my left ... big toe to ride there.  :D

Beemer

• 2 weeks later...
ballisticbread
I'm up to about 350 miles now (my commute is only about 6 miles each way), but here are my impressions so far: 
[ul type=disc][*]The 500's engine was perfect for a beginning rider, but it started to feel anemic after a while. It was very linear: the more you revved it, the more power it made, right up to its max of 47 hp/36 lb-ft (I think). The FZ-07's engine makes enough torque at 3000 rpm that I can cruise along in a higher gear and pass without downshifting. [*]The FZ's exhaust sounds great compared to the 500. The only noises I could hear on the 500 at highway speeds were the intake and the wind around me. The FZ's exhaust makes a nice little growl that's loud enough without being annoying.[*]Fuel economy is not as good in the FZ as the 500, but it's still darned good. I averaged 56 mpg in my first tank. Maybe the fuel warning light is too pessimistic, but it seems like the range is way too short. I just discovered the last-gallon "reserve" trip meter, so I'll use that to wring more miles out of this tank.[/ul][div]
Overall I love the engine. It's strong and extremely tractable.

I'm less enthusiastic about the fork and shock. The CBR500R had a very soft, cushy feel that was fine around town, but made me less confident on the twisty canyon roads. So far the FZ feels only slightly better than that bike. I think the wider bar and more upright position help with the confidence factor, but I'm thinking that a suspension upgrade will make a good winter project for this bike. Feel free to point me to your favorite suspension kits, parts, processes--whatever.

I upgraded from a CB500F about a month ago. You're description of the engine is spot on. Being able to pass without downshifting is really nice with the FZ, I remember the 500 I always had to be downshifting to pass anybody. The riding position didn't change much for me since the 500f is more upright, but the suspension did feel very soft like your 500. I do miss the bigger gas tank, but the extra power is worth it. Fuel economy is the last thing I care about when comparing the bikes. 

[/div]

Yeah, I test rode a 500F at the dealership just for the heck of it. The riding position makes a big difference in comfort, and the lack of wind protection makes it feel faster, even though it's the same. It was a hoot to ride, but the FZ just takes all of that fun and dials it way up.

Archived