The MT-07 Forum

Tall guy mods?

pitapola

6'3'' rider here. What are the best mods to make a rather small bike like the FZ07 more comfortable for a tall guy? My knees are bent more than I'd like to and it gets rather ucomfortable after some time on the bike.

I've thought about changing my footpegs to something like this, but the FZ is already a bike with not much clearance at lean angle and I'm pretty sure this mod would compromise my turning ability even more. The standard footpegs drag pretty easily, so going even lower than that seems like a bad idea.

So, what else is there? Making my seat taller? Fiddling with the suspension to make the bike taller? Any ideas?

As someone who is 6'4", a thicker seat works wonders. I picked up a Corbin seat and it definitely gives back some of that knee bend, sorry I don't have the exact height increase on hand. I know some other forum member(s?) have raised the height of the stock seat with foam, or purchased other aftermarket options so I'd do some looking around. I'm not using my Corbin anymore because I'm switching to race fairings, so if you're interested in purchasing one after looking at your options let me know.

If you make the bike taller via your suspension you would have greater ground clearance and could subsequently lower the pegs further without giving up as much lean angle. The AP Motoarts ride height link or an adjustable rear shock will bring the rear up, and it's a good thing to do for proper suspension setup anyways. Other than that, I feel you man. It's cramped.

As someone who is 6'4", a thicker seat works wonders. I picked up a Corbin seat and it definitely gives back some of that knee bend, sorry I don't have the exact height increase on hand. I know some other forum member(s?) have raised the height of the stock seat with foam, or purchased other aftermarket options so I'd do some looking around. I'm not using my Corbin anymore because I'm switching to race fairings, so if you're interested in purchasing one after looking at your options let me know. 
If you make the bike taller via your suspension you would have greater ground clearance and could subsequently lower the pegs further without giving up as much lean angle. The AP Motoarts ride height link or an adjustable rear shock will bring the rear up, and it's a good thing to do for proper suspension setup anyways. Other than that, I feel you man. It's cramped.
Thanks for the reply.  
Does changing the height of the rear suspension affect the geometry or handling of the bike in any way? (sorry if that's a stupid question)
I'm currently looking at Ohlins' basic kit and the rear shock is adjustable in extension. So maybe that along with a taller seat would make the ride more comfortable.

BTW, I would be interested in your seat, but being from Greece it's usually not cost-efficient to buy something from the states.

The fz-07 has a problem with rear-weight bias, and when you raise the rear you shift the weight of the bike forward. It improves the handling and turn-in is a bit quicker.

I feel your pain guys. Im 6'4 too and it gets pretty cramped after about 2 hours of non stop riding. What i find works is to stand up on the pegs and just stretch out and ride from the passenger seat for a few seconds. Obviously not through a corner. Just be careful though ?

I feel your pain guys. Im 6'4 too and it gets pretty cramped after about 2 hours of non stop riding. What i find works is to stand up on the pegs and just stretch out and ride from the passenger seat for a few seconds. Obviously not through a corner. Just be careful though ?

That is until you decide on what mods you want

Comfortwise, fiddling with suspension just affects the seat to ground height. Your problem with the bike seems to be with leg length not fitting comfortably. In theory you need a higher seat and, if it were possible, to sit further back on the bike (but equals more lean for yourself!). I use a foam pad on top of my seat which is for comfort rather than height, but you could experiment with that to start with.

Just do it! 

Comfortwise, fiddling with suspension just affects the seat to ground height. Your problem with the bike seems to be with leg length not fitting comfortably. In theory you need a higher seat and, if it were possible, to sit further back on the bike (but equals more lean for yourself!). I use a foam pad on top of my seat which is for comfort rather than height, but you could experiment with that to start with.

Yeah, making the bike taller only helps in the sense that it would give bigger clearance so that I can change the stock footpegs for something lower.

Good idea with the the foam pad, it's a nice way to test the whole concept before I go on with any actual changes on the seat.

If you effectively 'drop' the back wheel say by 1", it will be more like 1/2" rise at the pegs. Still every little helps.

Just do it! 

I'm currently looking at Ohlins' basic kit and the rear shock is adjustable in extension. So maybe that along with a taller seat would make the ride more comfortable.

The basic ohlins shock (S46DR1, YA419) is not adjustable for length; preload and rebound only. 
The basic nitron and k-tech shocks have adjustable length to name a few, probably others also.

More shock info in this thread: https://fz07.org/thread/1914/shock-upgrades-compatible-swaps

• Global Moderator

I would highly recommend the k-tech or bitubo shocks.. at 6'1 ive increased the shock lenth 1.25" over stock and gave the bike a much nicer feel

i had an upholstery shop recover and refoam my seat, added about .375" overall seat height...

Im currently working on a set of adapter plates to move the rearsets back for a better feel and overall adjustability, unfortunately with the right rearset the stock and yoshi exhaust is in the way of moving it down.... but 4" back and about 0.5" up feels pretty damn nice
If anyone in the phnx area has a different exhaust and wants to let me try em out id appreciate it

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

The K-Tech comes in +15mm length option as well. (plus the normal adjustment clevis)

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Archived