The MT-07 Forum

Missing second gear consistently

Sweeps

• Premium Member
My chain tension is spot on. I did switch oil last night to Shell Rotella triple T 15w40 the diesel rated stuff with wet clutch approval and the shifts have been a lot smoother all day.
Whats the deal with the Rotella diesel oil? I'm not educated on this subject. I mean is it okay to put diesel rated oil in the FZ07? And if so whats the pro/cons with this product? 

The 15-40W oils are usually not "energy saving" so don't have the friction modifiers that mess with a wet clutch. Shell also claims that the Rotella oils are designed for shear resistance and high pressure - something you want when there's a unit gearbox.

Don't get hung up with the "diesel rating". That diesel motors have a hard life and need a tough oil is just another reason why it'll do just fine in a bike motor. Its also easy to find at most parts stores and relatively cheap.

Lots of guys on the Aprilia forum have had good luck using Rotella T - even the dino version that's T4. That said, those old V twin Rotax motors are dang near indestructible

I'm not recommending it mind you. But if I ran out of my Amsoil and needed a quick substitute, I'd not hesitate to use it in either of my bikes.

• Premium Member
The 15-40W oils are usually not "energy saving" so don't have the friction modifiers that mess with a wet clutch. Shell also claims that the Rotella oils are designed for shear resistance and high pressure - something you want when there's a unit gearbox.  
Don't get hung up with the "diesel rating". That diesel motors have a hard life and need a tough oil is just another reason why it'll do just fine in a bike motor. Its also easy to find at most parts stores and relatively cheap.

Lots of guys on the Aprilia forum have had good luck using Rotella T - even the dino version that's T4. That said, those old V twin Rotax motors are dang near indestructible

I'm not recommending it mind you. But if I ran out of my Amsoil and needed a quick substitute, I'd not hesitate to use it in either of my bikes.

Thanks for the heads-up Rick.

• 3 months later...

I also own a 1985 Honda VF500 and always thought the transmission never shifted correctly from 1st to 2nd, I was always going in to neutral.  Until I read somewhere that if you preload the shifter with  slight pressure with your foot just before you shift it would help.  Boy did it  help A LOT,  try it.  I do the same thing with the  FZ, just slight pressure on the shifter especially from 1st to 2nd.

"Send lawyers, guns, and money."  W. Zevon

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
20 hours ago, MThree said:

I also own a 1985 Honda VF500 and always thought the transmission never shifted correctly from 1st to 2nd, I was always going in to neutral.  Until I read somewhere that if you preload the shifter with  slight pressure with your foot just before you shift it would help.  Boy did it  help A LOT,  try it.  I do the same thing with the  FZ, just slight pressure on the shifter especially from 1st to 2nd.

I shift the same way on all upshifts, with a bit of preload pressure on the shift lever (just enough to take the slack out of the shift linkage.)  As soon as you let off the throttle and pull in the clutch lever, it's almost as if the transmission just pops into the next gear. ;)

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

bat.png

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2017 at 6:14 PM, bornagainbiker said:

I shift the same way on all upshifts, with a bit of preload pressure on the shift lever (just enough to take the slack out of the shift linkage.)  As soon as you let off the throttle and pull in the clutch lever, it's almost as if the transmission just pops into the next gear. ;)

You're basically clutch-less shifting when you do that, that's how clutch-less shifting is done. It worked the same in the big trucks I've driven but you almost have to with them unless all that heavy clutching doesn't bother you.

Beemer

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
1 hour ago, Beemer said:

You're basically clutch-less shifting when you do that, that's how clutch-less shifting is done. It worked the same in the big trucks I've driven but you almost have to with them unless all that heavy clutching doesn't bother you.

Yes, I have done it without the clutch as well, but prefer to use the clutch, just to be on the safe side.  Call me paranoid. :D

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

I just ned to chime in

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

19 hours ago, bornagainbiker said:

Yes, I have done it without the clutch as well, but prefer to use the clutch, just to be on the safe side.  Call me paranoid. :D

Nah, not paranoid, just another way to shift. Kinda the best of both worlds. One way I may adopt. I've always been either all clutch or none. Sometimes you/I miss a gear using the clutch, usually 2nd with me so that would probably help. Thanks!

Beemer

Archived