The MT-07 Forum

What to do until you upgrade your suspension

farble

I intend to upgrade, but not till the end of this riding season. Still, I have done a couple of track days this year on my new bike. After one particularly scary corner bouncing up and down beyond all reason or control, one of the instructors said I should speak to the suspension tech guy in case there was something wrong. I will be having him install whatever he suggests. It is a JRi 35 PRO Inline Single Adjustable shock, and not Ohlins NIX which he said was not as high quality as his recommendation (which I don't remember.)

But in the meanwhile, he had this helpful advice. Don't move on the bike when braking and/or turning. Get your body into position before you start to brake or lean the bike.  I did this the rest of the day and felt more confident and comfortable in the turns, even while scraping the pegs. I also get my weight off the seat and on the pegs before the bumpy sections. I have to do this on the road I live on or it is way too painful.

The few times I did any hard braking I was careful to slowly ease off on the brakes. That was a pretty good introduction to trail braking. In all, it was a good learning experience.

By the way, this is in Massachusetts, USA.

The Bitubo JBH and XZE11 were easy to install and a huge improvement. Hit up @bellissimoto if you want to check it out.

The NIX-22 is for forks, not shock. If you want to know about suspension, you should probably pick my brain. :)

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I probably weigh 185 with gear. Never weighed myself. The suspension guy is Peter Kates. http://www.computrackboston.com He is often at the track days I do. I know the NIX-22 is for the forks. I wrote the message in a confusing way. I was surprised by his comment about them. Maybe he just wants to sell me something more expensive, but it seems like a good idea to work with someone local personally to upgrade the suspension and set it up for me. I may do the shock myself and send him the fork tubes, or just leave the bike with him for the whole job. I saw that shock on a KTM 390. No external can. Certainly looked solid compared to what's on my bike.

In any case, I now know from experience that the work needs to be done, and why.

Peter is a good guy, I'm sure. He's been around a long time. All of the commercial solutions need work, some more so than others. There's a tidy number of threads on such things if you haven't read thru them yet. I'm going to guess he recommends either the IDS20 kit or the Andreani. I don't think anyone in FZ07-land has tried the IDS - I've sold several to FZ/FJ09 riders. I recommend putting a thinner oil in the 'C' leg than what the spec calls for.

If you want no external can, consider the K-Tech Razor Lite shock. It's a serious bargain. Though if you're going to do a lot of track days, I recommend stepping up to the -R.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Archived