The MT-07 Forum

Question about front brake pad change

JA50N

So, looking at the front calipers, it looks like you can swap pads without dismounting the calipers from the forks.  Is this true?  The only video/ procedure I can find specific to the FZ-07 shows a guy taking the calipers off and taking the pads out the bottom.

Even if you could, take them off, it's 2 bolts. Then you can clean them with simple green and a tooth brush. Then press the pistons back into the bores to make room for the new pads. They'll work better this way as most folks skip the cleaning when changing pads. Remember the only force that retracts the pads from the rotor is the elasticity of the piston seal, the things will feel better than new this way.

Thanks for the education on the importance of brakes and how to clean brake calipers. I already knew that stuff. Still wanting to know the answer to my question.

stickshift

Long: You may be able to swap out the brake pads without taking the calipers off, but it would make the process harder in my opinion (depending how worn your old pads are).

There would be far less room to access the pad, and if you need to push the pistons in to fit the new pads (likely due to new pads being thicker) it would be more difficult.

Short: More difficult with calipers in place, but not impossible. The pads can be lifted out the top.

To make this post useful for people who might be wondering the same thing, I found this video that explains how to do it on a 2004-2006 R1. The caliper is the same except radially mounted. Looks easier than pulling the caliper bolts and compressing the pistons is easy too. Thanks for the help guys.

I know for fact the front pads can be changed without removing the calipers as I did exactly this about a week after buying my FZ-07 when I switched to EBC HH front pads.

However.
My pads and calipers were very new and very clean.

I feel it's viable if the pads being removed are low-mileage and the calipers and caliper pistons are relatively clean.
That's why I chose to do it that way a week after buying my FZ-07.
In that situation, the pad thickness of the pads being removed and that of the new pads are so close, you won't need to push the pistons back into the caliper.

If the old pads were noticeably worn, especially combined with the typical amount of brake dust and road dirt on the calipers and pistons by that point in pad wear, I'd have done it the usual way of removing and cleaning the calipers first, and then proceeding.

When I had my calipers off to remove the wheel, there was a lot of dirt on the brake pistons. And this on a bike that's been cleaned more than it's been ridden - the PO even cleaned the inside of the exhaust outlet with a rag after each ride. Unless the pads were new, there is no way I would replace them without removing the calipers and clean the pistons first. YMMV.

Just went out in the garage and pulled the pads in the front right caliper in about 5 minutes. There was dirt on the pistons but I was able to get it off with some brake cleaner and a little brush without too much hassle with the caliper still mounted. The pads looked like new with about 5K miles on them. Slipped them back in with the spring clip and the pin and was done. No ratchet, socket, or torque wrench needed. You guys do torque your caliper bolts right? Brakes are the most important part of your bike after all, although I would argue it is your tires.

Brakes just slow you down, they ar soooo over rated :)

Brakes are so easy to replace and bleed. I highly suggest to bleed every season and inspect the pads. Bleeding helps keep the fuild cum from formulating in the bores. It develops sowly but is a mix of moister and over boild brakes

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• 2 months later...

3 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

YOu should repost this in "Tech tips"  It would help alot of people for years to come. 

Will do! Thanks :)

Archived