Sign in to follow this  
rjg

Seat height?

rjg
Hello,
I'm looking at a used 2015 FZ-07 that's for sale.  The owner stated that the seat / ride height had been increased slightly at the dealership when they bought it new because he is a tall rider.  However, I prefer the stock seat height.  The owner doesn't know how the dealer had originally increased the height.  Does anyone have an idea how a dealer might typically do this and how I would be able to reverse it?  My thought was they may have adjusted the rear shock with a bushing or something but just guessing.
Thanks!

blackout
Probably just increased the preload on the rear shock spring.
  • Like 2

rjg
Cool. I take it that this is an adjustment that can be made quickly without tools? (have not seen how to do it but I assume there is a collar or something to adjust it).

Thanks

rick
Well, if all hey did was to add preload to the shock spring, there will be a hook spanner in the tool kit. The adjuster is a big ring with a ramped set of notches on the shock.

That adjustment raises the entire rear of the bike, but does not change the seat to peg distance. To raise the seat higher in relation to the frame can probably be done (custom spacers under the seat or foam added to the seat), but is not so easy.

rjg
Thanks for replies - just found the owners manual online and it describes the process for the preload adjustment just like you say. My guess is that is what they did so should be easy to un-do if I need to.

Thanks!

blackout
Thanks for replies - just found the owners manual online and it describes the process for the preload adjustment just like you say. My guess is that is what they did so should be easy to un-do if I need to. 
Thanks!

Yup, easy to change. Your bike should come with the spanner wrench. Most dealers are just parts changers, so I'm sure the preload was just increased.

ralph
Watch your fingers the thing can tend to slip off.

avanti
That is, of course, if the dealer did anything at all other than say they adjusted something. Pardon my lack of trust in anything some (most?) dealers say.
  • Like 1

Beemer
Until you get it adjusted back down, if you're the type that always plants both feet on the ground when you're at a stand still, try leaning the bike to one side until you're flat footed on that side and rest the other foot on the peg. That will give your crotch a break and you won't be straining on your tippy-toes trying to put both feet flat on the ground. 
  • Like 1