The MT-07 Forum

Helmet brake light

jbone

Not sure if anyone has seen this , so I figured I'd pass it along. IDK how I feel about the looks, but I think it's a good concept. It's still in the prototype phase, but it's slated to be 6oz and have an 8hr battery life. No wires, nothing but an on-off switch. Somehow it picks up your braking , be it from actual brake application or engine braking. I know there are a few companies out there that have attempted this, but from what I gathered people complain about their reliability. 

• Premium Member

Yeah, there's at least one other thread here.

• Premium Member

Already bought 2. =D

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

[div]Just saying, I and most others don't have any trouble seeing motorcyclist's brake lights because we pay attention. I don't see how this is going to make someone that's not looking at it see it. I think it's a waste of money.[/div]

Beemer

• Global Moderator
Already bought 2. =D
What do you think of it?   I was under the impression that it was just an Indiegogo campaign.  I am glad to hear they are selling them.  It seems the crowd funding campaigns seldom seem to actually ship anything.  

• Premium Member
Already bought 2. =D
What do you think of it?   I was under the impression that it was just an Indiegogo campaign.  I am glad to hear they are selling them.  It seems the crowd funding campaigns seldom seem to actually ship anything.  
Yes right, I shouldve clarified, Ive funded 2. They are set to ship for April 2018.  

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member
[div]Just saying, I and most others don't have any trouble seeing motorcyclist's brake lights because we pay attention. I don't see how this is going to make someone that's not looking at it see it. I think it's a waste of money.[/div]
I didnt buy them for the people paying attention, I bought them to hopefully be noticed by the innumerable f'n imbeciles who arent paying attention. I trust no one, especially with my wife beside me; I dont want to go to jail for killing someone who hits my wife so every precaution is being taken. Furthermore, I like lights, they make me feel all warm and fuzzy. ;) 

I didnt buy them for the people paying attention, I bought them to hopefully be noticed by the innumerable f'n imbeciles who arent paying attention. I trust no one, especially with my wife beside me; I dont want to go to jail for killing someone who hits my wife so every precaution is being taken. Furthermore, I like lights, they make me feel all warm and fuzzy. ;)
I see what happened here and I wasn't criticizing anyone for using such lights, I was just expressing my thoughts on the effectiveness of the lights if someone that perhaps is looking down at their phone and doesn't have the peripheral vision to see anything outside their car. I hope they do help people. 

Beemer

I get your point, but I'm not worried about the motorcycle community seeing me, I'm worried about the non-MC folks. But like Mr. Puss said, it's to help the people who aren't paying as close ( or none at all) attention. It's a reality , so why not give yourself a little bit more advantage? Plus, have you ever been looking in some other direction and a light from your peripheral caught your attention? People are used to seeing brake lights at about the same height. A much higher brake light is different , and people are great a noticing something that's different. Everyone gets distracted to some degree at some point - to claim otherwise is a bunch of bull. Idk, just seems like an extra safety option that doesn't require much effort.   

Greatest benefit is probably being able to be seen from several cars behind as we usually tower over most cars. I still doubt I'm going to use a device like that if it needs frequent charging. I'd like to see some small LED around the bottom of the rear, incorporated in the helmet and visible only when the brakes are on. Should be able to give at least 6 months of typical use.

• Premium Member
I see what happened here and I wasn't criticizing anyone for using such lights, I was just expressing my thoughts on the effectiveness of the lights if someone that perhaps is looking down at their phone and doesn't have the peripheral vision to see anything outside their car. I hope they do help people.
Right, of course. I misinterpreted your comment. My feeling was almost hurt. :D 

I'm just as concerned and if it can get you noticed that's a good thing but just in case it doesn't the only thing that's going to save your arse is watching your 6 enough to know some cager IS charging up on you and you moving your bike out of his way quick enough and to your happy spot, intact. I just don't want anyone to make the mistake of relying on a helmet light to be noticed and drop their guard. That could end up tragically. Stay frosty!

Beemer

Archived