The MT-07 Forum

Does piston rings matter?

faffi

One very small piece of a larger puzzle

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Anything that lowers friction will give more usable power at the rear wheel
they got 8hp from a 450 odd hp engine so you may get 1 or 2 hp probably
only cost effective if your serious about racing it and it's due new pistons
anyway.

Probably meant for those building a motor. But also nice for us to understand why modern engines typically use much thinner piston rings than decades ago. Considering how much easier the engine turned over with the thinner rings I must admit I had expected a bigger gain. Just goes to show that there are tons of other losses, the primary being lost heat from the combustion.

markstertt

Thanks, that was very interesting and no down side so what's not to like? The IC engine has continued to improve in light of or perhaps because of more stringent regulations regarding pollution, gas mileage etc. But darn, now every body is embracing electric, not that that's a bad thing I guess but I'll sure miss that first kick start on a rebuilt engine, watching for oil pressure, adjusting the idle speed and just grinning and feeling good that you must have done something right...just not the same as plugging it in and flipping a switch. Think I'm gonna cry....

Archived