The MT-07 Forum

Why the small handlebar grip?

faffi

I have pretty average sized hands (size 10, but usually end up with size 11 to get room for my fingers), yet I use up not only the width of the grips, but also cover most of the end weights when I hold my hands as close to the switch pods as possible with gloves on. For someone fortunate enough to have real man's hands, the grips will not in any way be large enough. Many bikes have narrow grips, but these seems unnaturally narrow to me. Is it a Yamaha thing? IIRC, my Seca 750 also had pretty small grips. However, I see absolutely no benefits with narrow grips, only downsides; less comfort and less control. But perhaps there are some hidden benefits in not having room for normal hands?

dankwhoolies

I think its a yamaha thing, My old gsxr had pretty decent sized grips. But with these I can wrap my fingers all the way around and touch my palms as well. The best choice would be to spend $20 bucks on some better grips. I think the ones it comes with are pretty basic and dont have as great of a grip as I would like. I went with some diamond cut extra soft grips. They don't last as long but they have a great feel(sticky, and great grip) to them, especially while pulling wheelies or riding in the rain

• Premium Member

Work fine for me... sorry, but overall I guess we're just a dainty lot!!! (rofl) (rofl) (rofl)   (MUCH more about hand-size, cylindrical objects, etc. that I controlled the almost irresistible impulse to add.)

I have wide hands.
I use summer gloves, because over here, I never need gloves for cold protection.
For me the grips work fine, save for I wished them to have a larger diameter.
The forum has helped me find some nice foam grip puppies, that help.

You can always take the bar end weights out by a little, and install grip puppies over the ends of the grips, to make them a little wider.
Probably 1/2 inch max.

Never actually noticed this until i saw this thread. Im a 3XL in gloves and my hands cover about half the bar ends when im holding the grips as close to the inside edge as possible. Can't say its been a problem, just interesting that's all

No problems, never gave it any thought. I worry more about a cold, sweating beer can slipping out of my grip.  8-)

Beemer

Pick up a set of Oury road grips. They are much larger in diameter than stock, width is the same though. I have a set on mine and will never go back.

I really never notice the length of the grips. Putting a longer throttle grip on could be a bit problematic unless you can change the throttle tube. If you just put a longer grip on and slide the throttle in the grip will drag on the bars.
I always use MTB lock on grips for the left hand side anyway ( easy to remove and replace), so they are about as used to feel for me as possible anyway.
I have a thing about the diameter though. Many people use really thick grips. I find those give me forearm ache. I use the old tennis raquet sizing method. You fingers should just meet or have a small overlap.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I agree with the thick grips being harder on your forearms and fingers. Try to lift a heavy weight using a thick handle and a handle you can wrap your fingers around with a little overlap, and you will be amazed how much heavier you can lift with the latter. You also get better feel with a thinner grip. Most racers seems to fit rather thin rubber grips, as thin as possible.

As to width - I see that grip length vary between 12 and 16 cm online, a 1,5in difference. Quite substantial.

Those on my Z650 were definitely wider than the ones on my Yamaha.
k_b2_zpsfhhcfcul.jpg

No problems, never gave it any thought. I worry more about a cold, sweating beer can slipping out of my grip.  8-)
Your agony has been heard, and your prayers answered! 
And it's portable too!

b4e1ca5a-f6d9-4f13-a452-33c33e2f7992_1.29c945ad8ed080e3d7403f3fb49779ab.jpeg

No thanks, I'd lick the beer up before I would wear one of those.  ::)

I went to thick grips with the Grip Puppies and I find them to be more comfortable, to me.

Beemer

As someone with small hands, I don't see the problem.  (rofl)

Actually switching from the stock grips to Oxford heated grips I noticed a difference in grip diameter and that small difference causes a bit more hand fatigue since I have to reach a bit farther to the levers. (but the heat on those cooler days is worth it)

Archived