The MT-07 Forum

Rear Racks for 2017 FZ-07

disappointingtexan

disappointingtexan

Hi all - any thoughts on rear rack systems for the 2017 07s? I have been researching them quite a bit, but most of the racks (shad, sw-motech) look like they cut off their model year support at 2016. I'm thinking not much has changed, but thought I'd see what the ol forum has to say on the subject.

So: 1 - which rack do you like best and why and 2 - has anyone successfully fit a rack to a 2017 model?

Thanks! Happy riding and happy 4th!

• Premium Member

It's not that they've cut off support. Usually they just haven't added 2017 model support to their website yet. Contact the manufacture and ask them to confirm.

The only change between 2016 & 2017 models is the color and the addition of an ABS model for the US market.

I'm still in the research phase of picking some luggage as well. Best of luck finding the perfect luggage for your needs. :)
Happy Independence Day to you as well. 

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

disappointingtexan
It's not that they've cut off support. Usually they just haven't added 2017 model support to their website yet. Contact the manufacture and ask them to confirm.  
The only change between 2016 & 2017 models is the color and the addition of an ABS model for the US market.

I'm still in the research phase of picking some luggage as well. Best of luck finding the perfect luggage for your needs. :)
Happy Independence Day to you as well. 
Well hey then report back and share research here if you don't mind! I'm leaning toward the Shad at the moment, but am not totally dead-set on one or another.  

I can see this is a topic that's been pretty investigated on the forums, so thanks to everyone for already doing all that; I've feaverishly read most of it by now and am still interested in hearing more about how it's been going long term. Basically, the old lady wants a back rest and we're both used to having a little more storage in the old Zuma 125. I guess a win-win, but not totally psyched about significantly changing the profile of my sleek looking bike... 

• Premium Member

I'll be happy to report my findings... though I don't expect I'll be finding anything that hasn't been discussed here before. I like the Shad as well. I want a locking hard case that I can lock up my helmet once I get to my destination so I don't have to carry/worry over it.
I'm really liking the Shad expandable top case. But it does not yet list FZ-07 support. I wish they made expandable side bags to match. I think side bags would be less tumor like and keep the center of gravity lower as well.

The catch-22 I'm dealing with is finding something that doesn't look like a tumor but will still hold my full face helmet. I want my cake and eat it too. :D
See here for what I'm using to get by with for now until I pick my hard case(s).

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• 1 month later...
disappointingtexan

As an update for whoever may be interested, I ended up going with the Shad rear rack and Shad45 case. Fits two helmets easily. With the backrest, my wife feels a lot more comfortable and secure for our rides into town for concerts and dinners. Fits really well into our two wheel setup.

I was going to try to install it myself, but when I started taking out bolts, I noticed that the instructions are *definitely* not updated for the 2017 model (they date to the 2014!) so I just threw up my hands and took it to my shop for the install. I'm am certain someone handier than I would handle it with no issues, but I'm just nervous about fcking up my bike. Took the shop just under 2 hours and I trust their honesty on that. Said it was pretty tricky to get the cuts just right. But all said and done, I'm glad I had them do it.

I'm happy to provide more pictures or info if anyone is interested. Shipping from Shad was super quick even at standard rates. From order to riding was no more than a week and a half. It's nice to have a good storage space when I need it and can easily pop it off if I want a sleeker look for day riding.
IMG_2614.jpg

IMG_2604.jpg

IMG_2609.jpg

good image hosting

SW-motech requires minimum drilling in plastic, no dremel tool needed. Also the rack stays closer to rear seat and not sticking out too far and too high like scorpion's tail.  It looks much less bulky than other models.

swmotech_alu_rack_toprack_to_fit_trax_givi_other_topcases_for_yamaha_fz071415_zoom.jpg

I've just bought a used SW/MOTEC rack.
swmotech_alu_rack_toprack_to_fit_trax_givi_other_topcases_for_yamaha_fz071415_zoom.jpg
now I'm not sure if there is a variation in the rear mounting bracket for the tail light.
one member here give me one at ...
towards front lights at 70mm across
rear light                 at 62mm across.
the motec one is....
front lights     76mm
rear light        71mm
obviously something doesn't tally here.
I'm considering in making a short version of a rack similar to the ZRX in the picture with a grab rail.

attachment.php?attachmentid=205250&d=1402531424

thanks for the update... i'm searching for what system i wanna go with right now as well for the fz07. i have OE yamaha racks and cases on my FJ09.

• Premium Member
thanks for the update... i'm searching for what system i wanna go with right now as well for the fz07. i have OE yamaha racks and cases on my FJ09.
Another FJ-09 owner!!!   

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Archived