The MT-07 Forum

Fender Eliminator Problems: 2015 fz-07

rwwinslett

rwwinslett

Hey guys,

I recently bought a 2015 fz-07 from another person, not from a dealer. He had some aftermarket effects installed on the bike already, one of which is the fender eliminator kit. The brake light and blinkers are all in one, and I cannot find it anywhere on the internet to give you a model or make. Besides that, the brake light doesn't work, but the tail light does work. Can someone offer some help as to what I should do? I really would like a brake light. I have no idea whether I should replace a fuse or circuit on the existing kit or just buy another kit. Sorry I can't offer more of a description, but any help at all would be appreciated.

~R. Winslett

• Premium Member

Does the brake light work when you hit the front brake but not when you hit the rear?
If so, adjust the rear brake light switch.

• Premium Member

A picture would be helpful.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Global Moderator

Fuses would be the first thing I would check. There are two fuse boxes, so do not stop after you have checked the first one. If you can post a photo of the tail light I am sure someone can identify it. If the fuse is not the problem there might be someone here who has replaced their tail lights who would sell their stock one to you for a good price.

Welcome to the forums!

Can you upload a picture of it? That would probably help cut down the guesswork.

Also do you have or know how to use a voltage multimeter?

You do you and I'll do me.

rwwinslett
Does the brake light work when you hit the front brake but not when you hit the rear? If so, adjust the rear brake light switch.
The light doesn't indicate braking at all. I'm not sure if the light is supposed to get brighter or what during braking, but all of the lights are already lit up for the tail light. [span style=border-radius:2px;text-indent:20px;width:auto;padding:0px 4px 0px 0px;text-align:center;font:bold 11px/20px "color:rgb(255, 255, 255);background:rgb(189, 8, 28) url("opacity:1;border:medium none]Save[/span]

rwwinslett
Welcome to the forums! 
Can you upload a picture of it? That would probably help cut down the guesswork.

Also do you have or know how to use a voltage multimeter?
I'll try to upload a picture. I have a meter, that was going to be my next move. Just thought I'd ask around before I troubleshot anything further. [span style=border-radius:2px;text-indent:20px;width:auto;padding:0px 4px 0px 0px;text-align:center;font:bold 11px/20px "color:rgb(255, 255, 255);background:rgb(189, 8, 28) url("opacity:1;border:medium none]Save[/span]

• Premium Member
Does the brake light work when you hit the front brake but not when you hit the rear? If so, adjust the rear brake light switch.
The light doesn't indicate braking at all. I'm not sure if the light is supposed to get brighter or what during braking, but all of the lights are already lit up for the tail light. [span style=border-radius:2px;text-indent:20px;width:auto;padding:0px 4px 0px 0px;text-align:center;font:bold 11px/20px "color:rgb(255, 255, 255);background:rgb(189, 8, 28) url("opacity:1;border:medium none]Save[/span]
post a picture of the light so we can find out which model it is. There is also the possibility that the brake light is stuck on right now. 

• Global Moderator

From that photo the light looks fairly bright. Maybe @i2837856393 is right and the brake light is stuck on.

rwwinslett
From that photo the light looks fairly bright. Maybe @i2837856393 is right and the brake light is stuck on.
Is it a button or a spring or what? Where would it be located? [span style=border-radius:2px;text-indent:20px;width:auto;padding:0px 4px 0px 0px;text-align:center;font:bold 11px/20px "color:rgb(255, 255, 255);background:rgb(189, 8, 28) url("opacity:1;border:medium none]Save[/span]

• Premium Member
Is it a button or a spring or what? Where would it be located? [span style=border-radius:2px;text-indent:20px;width:auto;padding:0px 4px 0px 0px;text-align:center;font:bold 11px/20px "color:rgb(255, 255, 255);background:rgb(189, 8, 28) url("opacity:1;border:medium none]Save[/span]
That looks like the stock light and it does look like it's stuck on. There's a little spring near the rear brake behind the heel guard. There's a nut on the bottom of that. Lemme find a diagram for you soon.

rwwinslett
That looks like the stock light and it does look like it's stuck on. There's a little spring near the rear brake behind the heel guard. There's a nut on the bottom of that. Lemme find a diagram for you soon.

You'd know more than I do, but the blinkers are also part of the light. Again, I'm not sure but it seemed like the stock fender had separate blinkers from the tail light. Either way, I hope it is just a stuck spring. Thanks for all of your help. [span style=border-radius:2px;text-indent:20px;width:auto;padding:0px 4px 0px 0px;text-align:center;font:bold 11px/20px "color:rgb(255, 255, 255);background:rgb(189, 8, 28) url("opacity:1;border:medium none]Save[/span]

rwwinslett
here's a picture of where it's located and it's a bit of a pain to access: http://imgur.com/BQ4suX5&9nyEUv3&1HEQfSS

You the man. Thanks for your help [span style=border-radius:2px;text-indent:20px;width:auto;padding:0px 4px 0px 0px;text-align:center;font:bold 11px/20px "color:rgb(255, 255, 255);background:rgb(189, 8, 28) url("opacity:1;border:medium none]Save[/span]

• Premium Member

Anytime! A lot of the problems are because of that little switch. It has a tendency to get stuck so check the brake light on/after your next ride.
Also, from what I can see in that dark image, those look like aftermarket turn signals and to you they appear to be part of brake light only because they are so close to it - but they're separate.

You can put your tow index fingers around the plastic nut. It is located just behind the heal gaurd. Twisting it to the left tightens the spring by lifting the actuator. Twisting the nut to the right lowers the actuator lessening the spring and the light should go out turning it right (That would be counter clockwise. Its to tight the brake is on

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

rwwinslett
here's a picture of where it's located and it's a bit of a pain to access: http://imgur.com/BQ4suX5&9nyEUv3&1HEQfSS

Update: We took the rear break assembly apart and even unhooked the electrical connection there, and the light was still as bright and did not change. I am fairly certain that this is not the stock break+blinker combo, especially since the stock blinkers were separate from the rear brake and this is a 3-in-1 brake light + blinker piece. Unless the front brake is the culprit, this light kit must not have a brake light. [span style=border-radius:2px;text-indent:20px;width:auto;padding:0px 4px 0px 0px;text-align:center;font:bold 11px/20px "color:rgb(255, 255, 255);background:rgb(189, 8, 28) url("opacity:1;border:medium none]Save[/span]

rwwinslett
You can put your tow index fingers around the plastic nut. It is located just behind the heal gaurd. Twisting it to the left tightens the spring by lifting the actuator. Twisting the nut to the right lowers the actuator lessening the spring and the light should go out turning it right (That would be counter clockwise. Its to tight the brake is on
We took the spring off and pulled the actuator down as far as possible and it did not change anything. We disconnected the harness going to the actuator and still had light. So I don't think this is it. Thanks for the help! [span style=border-radius:2px;text-indent:20px;width:auto;padding:0px 4px 0px 0px;text-align:center;font:bold 11px/20px "color:rgb(255, 255, 255);background:rgb(189, 8, 28) url("opacity:1;border:medium none]Save[/span]

We took the spring off and pulled the actuator down as far as possible and it did not change anything. We disconnected the harness going to the actuator and still had light. So I don't think this is it. Thanks for the help! [span style=border-radius:2px;text-indent:20px;width:auto;padding:0px 4px 0px 0px;text-align:center;font:bold 11px/20px "color:rgb(255, 255, 255);background:rgb(189, 8, 28) url("opacity:1;border:medium none]Save[/span]
Then either the actuator is stuck in the on position if you pull the leds that run from the actuator does the LED lessen? 

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

rwwinslett
Then either the actuator is stuck in the on position if you pull the leds that run from the actuator does the LED lessen?
Nope. I don't think it's stuck, I really think this is just a bright, tail-light only kit [span style=border-radius:2px;text-indent:20px;width:auto;padding:0px 4px 0px 0px;text-align:center;font:bold 11px/20px "color:rgb(255, 255, 255);background:rgb(189, 8, 28) url("opacity:1;border:medium none]Save[/span]

• Premium Member

Mind taking a better picture of the brake light from the rear?
And a second with the turn signals on?

Archived