The MT-07 Forum

Patch/Plug or Replace - 1500 miles

Guest montana07

Guest montana07

So apparently I picked up a screw yesterday right in one of the grooves.  What do you guys think, patch/plug or replace?

And then for a newb question, this is my first bike and I haven't picked up a rear stand yet, would it be safe to pull the screw out and ride it a few miles, sub 40mph to the nearest bike shop?

RZ7yUqw.jpg

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

This seems to be going around lately, sorry no advice from me just my sympathies.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Guest montana07

Follow up question, I'm finding better deals on Amazon prime for the Pilot Road 4s, any reason not to run my stock pilot road 3 up front and switch to 4 in the rear?

Don't pull the screw out yourself until you get it plugged. The plug will last forever in that spot.

Congress is the only whore house in the United States that loses money.

I'm new to this motorcycle stuff, but I'd be really tempted to patch this and the one hippiechick got. For the riding I do, very little time at high speeds, I might just try a patch.

It's pretty close to the sidewall so don't plug it man. That close to the sidewall means it's time to replace. Have a bike shop look at it, but most tire repair places won't patch a tire with a screw that close to the Sidewall.

That is a good location for a Plug. You will be fine if you do that. It's quite easy to do, just sticky as hell
Plugged plenty on cars, I'm an expert .. lol.  It's just generally not recommended.  Tire repair is only recommended if done off the rim on the inside, so the tire and "belts" can be inspected (on cars).  The experts and of course manufacturers (liability issue) would never recommend a motorcycle tire repair.

I was once told by a local shop that it is ok to plug a rear tire once. Ive had a couple tires plugged and never has issues
On a motorcycle i can understand how this might make someone uncomfortable and since tires are not too costly people should definitely do what keeps them confident in their bikes safety

My advice. Never plug or patch a bike tire. Replace it. Possible failure can have catastrophic results that far outweigh the cost of a tire. I feel your pain. I just hit 1100 miles and had to replace my rear tire as well. Picked up a roofing nail. I hated to spend the money but it's not worth the risk of blowing a tire in a curve and either high siding into oncoming traffic.

It won't hurt anything to plug it.. The chances of that tire failing because of that plug is one in a billion.. It's not just gonna blow out on you cuz there's a little whole there. I've seen some sketchy Truck tire repairs that have held together and they hold 100+ PSI..

• 2 months later...

For my own liability purposes I will say always replace a punctured tire with a new one. However I know a guy who looks just like me, He's been riding motos for 40 years now. He has plugged at least 50 tires from nails or screws and never had a problem. The only reason to replace a punctured tire is if the plug won't fix it. (according to the guy who looks like me) The overbearing no fee to sue lawyers are why all manufactures and businesses will not patch or plug a tire.

That being said, a good friend once told me he paid an electrician to change out a light bulb. When I gasped at that, he said, "there are two kinds of folks out there buddy...the kind like you that have tools and the know how to use them, and those like me who have no tools and no business using them but have checkbooks to pay guys like you to fix things."

In this case, figure out which guy you are and act appropriately.

• Premium Member

Checking your tire pressure should be something that you always do before going out on a ride. Me personally, I've never heard of anyone having an accident because of a patched tire.

• Premium Member

From an engineering standpoint, if the plug fails you'll just lose tire pressure. The exit velocity of the internal gas will depend on a number of factors and conditions. Therefore the severity to which it impacts traction and stability will vastly vary.

What will not happen however is your tire legitimately blowing up or popping like a balloon. If that occurs, it's not from a faulty tire patch.

Everything went braap.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I know this is old but.....

Vulcanizing plugs are another option. I've had Drag Radials repaired this way.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

In May, 2014, I had two screws about three weeks apart. I got a new rear tire each time, and I'm glad I did. 

Archived