The MT-07 Forum

Sold the FZ07

cmiller94

Well, after I bought the CBR600RR a few weeks ago, I was pretty sure that the FZ07 was going to stay and would just become my touring bike. I was finding that I've been riding the CBR way more than the FZ07. So I decided to list the FZ07 for way more than I paid for it, and see what happened. In January I bought it for $5250 with 9,000 km's on. I sold it yesterday after having it for six months for $5500 with 12,000 km's on it. I had it listed for $6500, so I came down a lot on price, but I put 3,000 km's on it and still got more than what I paid for it. On top of that, when I bought it, the guy through in a really nice rear stand that I ended up keeping. I think the only expenses I had with it were gas, oil, coolant, frame sliders, and a louder horn. I really enjoyed my time with the FZ07. but shortly after getting the CBR and deciding that the FZ07 was going to be my touring bike, I realized that it wasn't really an ideal touring bike. I also ended up buying a condo and the $5500 that I got from selling it will really help with that purchase. I might end up looking at getting an FZ6 or a VFR800 to go along with the CBR600 in the future. 

• Global Moderator

Wow, I can see why you would sell the FZ-07 for a profit. While it is a fun bike it is not really a tourer. I wold love to see some photos of your new bike.

Apparently, Yamaha saw us guys busting our boys trying to turn the hooligan-ish style bike into a sport tourer and gave some relief with the ready made 700 Tracer.  

Beemer

Wow, I can see why you would sell the FZ-07 for a profit. While it is a fun bike it is not really a tourer. I wold love to see some photos of your new bike.
https://ibb.co/kmpTea https://ibb.co/jiKTea
https://ibb.co/jmQekF
https://ibb.co/evkekF
https://ibb.co/grFOCv

not sure if the pictures worked as I'm trying to do it off of my iPad, I'll try later from the computer if it doesn't work :)

What was your main complaint as a tourer?

I find the handlebars are still a bit too much forward leaning.

As far as fuel mileage, I changed my sprockets and get excellent gas mileage.
I couldn't believe my last fillup was 80MPG, so I did a second tank. 75MPG. My third tank, I expect to do later tonight.

I installed a $20 windshield, which I ended up getting for free, because they drilled one of the holes out of alignment.
I redrilled it, and it does it's job fine until 120MPH.
Though I prefer to ride at 4k RPM, 70MPH.

I find it a very good bike for longer distances.
My butt gets used to the seat too.

What was your main complaint as a tourer? 
I find the handlebars are still a bit too much forward leaning.

As far as fuel mileage, I changed my sprockets and get excellent gas mileage.
I couldn't believe my last fillup was 80MPG, so I did a second tank. 75MPG. My third tank, I expect to do later tonight.

I installed a $20 windshield, which I ended up getting for free, because they drilled one of the holes out of alignment.
I redrilled it, and it does it's job fine until 120MPH.
Though I prefer to ride at 4k RPM, 70MPH.

I find it a very good bike for longer distances.
My butt gets used to the seat too.
I found that even at 5 ft 7", my legs would get cramped on long rides. I also found that even with the windshield, the wind protection sucked compared to a bike with full fairings. And then a somewhat minor annoyance, but I couldn't find bags that would work for it. Mine had a fender eliminator, but still had stock lights, so no bags would work and I didn't have the stock fender as I didn't put on the fender eliminator, it was like that when I got it. I've also concluded that I really like four cylinder bikes. I find the top end rush much more exciting than the low end torque of a twin. I really liked the FZ07 and was glad to have experienced one for a while, but it just ended up not quite being what I was looking for.  

4 cylinders are a lot heavier, and less fuel efficient though.
The bottom end torque of this FZ is just because they've put that restrictive exhaust on it.
When you use a more open exhaust (without cat), it'll have less torque, and more top end.
low end torque isn't a characteristic of a twin; but rather a tuning on any engine.
Same could be done on a 4 cylinder, if tuned for torque rather than hp.

Because a 4 cylinder, has more exhaust pulses per second, the exhaust canister can be smaller, and the exhaust can run more freely than on a ptwin, which makes more noise.
A single cylinder is even worse. 
In order to stay within noise regulations, they either have to equip these single bopper engines with a large exhaust can, or put a smaller, more restrictive can; to keep the dB below the legal norm (usually 86dB).

• Premium Member

I admit I never really know what to make of such posts at a dedicated "whatever" site, nor how to respond.  Maybe just, "Good bye."

I admit I never really know what to make of such posts at a dedicated "whatever" site, nor how to respond.  Maybe just, "Good bye."
After your post, this was the first thing that popped in my mind...

Archived