The MT-07 Forum

keeping my fz-07 front wheel down

Guest ybcheese

pantheraleo
maybe i should have also mentioned that i'm a newish rider ( on big bikes ) and i feel a mod to give me a more agressive throttle response might not be the best thing for my health and safety right now :D 
Smart thinkin', and frankly you don't need the throttle mod to get that front wheel to shoot skyward.  
If you really crack the throttle starting out in 1st you'll have a hard time keeping the front end down, stock throttle or otherwise.

No, you certainly don't NEED a throttle mod to pop a wheelie....my concern is the hand and throttle position when he is starting the wheelie. Let's forget the R6 mod.

My tendency to whiskey throttle taught me a hard lesson about just how dangerous a throttle hand that starts out 'not neutral' can be. One day I popped my clutch out a little quick, and when the bike pulled hard, my hand going to neutral added throttle instead of rolling off. The result: a hard low-side on a right hand turn that shot bike and rider across opposing traffic. Full gear (and luck) got me out of it without serious injury.

Mega, make sure your throttle hand starts flat. IMHO, your throttle control will never be what it can be if you don't work on correcting this. It took a lot of effort for me to fix my own bad habit.

I'm glad to hear your safety is a priority. I'm no expert rider, I'm just trying to share my experience and my lesson learned.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
crazycracka501

I kinda laid off of the wheelies due to possibility of fines here in CA. I learned how to do them to better control the bike , now that I know what I am doing with the bike I have chilled out. And yes the possibility of health concerns does increase greatly when one of two tires are not on the ground.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

Smart thinkin', and frankly you don't need the throttle mod to get that front wheel to shoot skyward.  
If you really crack the throttle starting out in 1st you'll have a hard time keeping the front end down, stock throttle or otherwise.

No, you certainly don't NEED a throttle mod to pop a wheelie....my concern is the hand and throttle position when he is starting the wheelie. Let's forget the R6 mod. 
My tendency to whiskey throttle taught me a hard lesson about just how dangerous a throttle hand that starts out 'not neutral' can be. One day I popped my clutch out a little quick, and when the bike pulled hard, my hand going to neutral added throttle instead of rolling off. The result: a hard low-side on a right hand turn that shot bike and rider across opposing traffic. Full gear (and luck) got me out of it without serious injury.

Mega, make sure your throttle hand starts flat. IMHO, your throttle control will never be what it can be if you don't work on correcting this. It took a lot of effort for me to fix my own bad habit.

I'm glad to hear your safety is a priority. I'm no expert rider, I'm just trying to share my experience and my lesson learned.
i usually have my hand at a "neutral" position, the exceptions to this for me is when starting from a standstill at a light ( so no turns ) just because i want to get away from the people behind me, but even then its only slighty above neutral so nothing like in the video. or when doing a long stretch of highway since its just too tiring on the wrist to keep it bent like that.  
and yes safety is most definitely a priority, as i once heard somewhere: yes i'm afraid to die, but not to such an extent that i'm afraid to live. 

edit: i actually saw someone learn this lesson the hard way during my riding lesson, the other student started with his hand way above neutral so when he turned left in his figure of 8 he basically gunned it and flipped the bike pretty damn hard. 
he was fine and we had a laugh about it but he ( and i ) learned a good lesson. 

cherenkovblu3

Heres my 2 cents after having the bike for a month now, being a brand new rider, and riding some other friends bikes during it. How far our throttle has to twist to get to WOT gets old quick. Getting my elbow up under the handle bars, adjusting grip a lot, its just not good for building the habits / muscle memory I want to work on. Jumping on a friends CBR after a day on the 07 is like a breath of fresh air for my wrist. I'll definitely be giving the R6 throttle tube a shot

yeah i will probably be getting the new throttle tube in a month or 2 when i feel 100% comfortable with riding the bike just for comfort reasons. the long throw is great when starting out ( especially when coming from a 125cc ) but i can see it getting old after a while.

so would any r6 throttle tube fit? i found this ( http://fz07.org/thread/828/installing-r6-throttle-tube ) thread on here but the link to the amazon part says it doesnt fit which seems weird :D
this is an aftermarktet one though ( Motion Pro Throttle Tube [HASH]01-0094 )

• Premium Member
phicurious86
yeah i will probably be getting the new throttle tube in a month or 2 when i feel 100% comfortable with riding the bike just for comfort reasons. the long throw is great when starting out ( especially when coming from a 125cc ) but i can see it getting old after a while. 
so would any r6 throttle tube fit? i found this ( http://fz07.org/thread/828/installing-r6-throttle-tube ) thread on here but the link to the amazon part says it doesnt fit which seems weird :D
this is an aftermarktet one though ( Motion Pro Throttle Tube [HASH]01-0094 )
That's the tube. It fits.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

I prefer to keep the front wheel as close to the ground as I can... I can make it wheelie in 1, 2, or 3 gear each for about 10' feet then I'm done...most of the time the wheel comes up about 5 inches when I'm grabbing a handful a lil past halfway through a corner... One wheel corner exits are more fun than one can desdescribe :)

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

I want to wheelie but I am more concerned about what to do when the wheel is in the air. How do I safely bring the FZ-07's wheel down?

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

• Premium Member

I just pull the clutch in a lil a bit...but everyone has a differ way...the worst thing to do is abruptly let off the gas in my view...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I just pull the clutch in a lil a bit...but everyone has a differ way...the worst thing to do is abruptly let off the gas in my view...
You got that right. Its hard not to panic when you think you are going too high. The hard landing is really hard on the boys. 

• 1 month later...
buckaroobanzai
I can see having a passenger would make it a lot easier for the front wheel to come up. Moving the weight further back on the bike is going to make the front end lighter.
Yep,  going up a hill has the same affect. It puts the weight on the back wheel. Easy to bring the front wheel on a hill..

• Global Moderator

Ive found that 1st gear is almost too easy to lift up the front wheel on this bike. I can usually blip the throttle from a steady ~1/3 to full and power up the front end.
Same in second only a bit closer to 2/3rd throttle.
I can only imagine what it would be like with an r6 throttle tube and a 2wdw ecu flash. It might just be too much, but itll be fun

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
Now i am sure everyone wants to wheelie there fz-07. And from what I hear you can power it up in 3rd. Dose anyone have any advice or tips on how to keep the front wheel down?
I've got a coupla thousand miles on my bike,..in like 2 months. 
At first I was breaking it in and not accellerating hard, now I accelerate really hard a few times a day, but I never JERK the throttle, I always roll it on.

I use experience gained by repetition to know how to start out quick, but not too quick the first few instants, then I increase the throttle progressively as I start feeling the G force and after I get some initial movement going because it is input to how fast I am accelerating and I can really ride the line doing that.

I am at the point where I feel my front tire getting very light under hard acceleration but because I didn't jerk it on or pop it on and have monitored the progressive increase in throttle it is not scary and I don't feel like I will be surprised. I may have had the wheel off the ground a few times under hard acceleration doing this, but it's hard to tell for me how much is suspension angle change and how much might be actual air. But that's not really a wheelie in my book, and I am not trying to do that. I just want to get out in front of oncomming traffic most of the time when turning onto a busy road.

I feel like if I snapped on the throttle quickly instead of rolling on smoothly, or if I accelerated fast right out of the gate instead of getting a few instants of controlled stable movement first, I would definitely be getting air.

So, think of it this way. The Fiz can do 0-60 in 3.3 secs I hear. Under normal traffic conditions what is it going to hurt you to give half a second to a second of smooth controlled acceleration before aggressively rolling quickly on the throttle (not just twisting all at once) and using the feeling of the G force and your eyes to keep yourself planted. You are still going to see those little specs in your rearview mirror 2 seconds later, and you have little chance of an accidental wheelie.

Just make sure YOU are planted on the bike, leaning forward and low preferably with your knees squeezing the tank.

Anyhow, I am a newb, but that's what I do, and it feels pretty controlled. As I master the roll on throttle control with repetition, I get better at finding out what the edge is and I can get to it sooner. That is how you get quicker and still keep the tires planted, not going over the edge, just getting to it sooner. But at first just start slow and the ride into the edge (of max safe acceleration). If you try to start on the edge, well, in the first few gears you could easily do a 180 and land on your head.

Databyter

• Premium Member
I saw all those youtube with people doing wheelies on a FZ/MT and it got me worried when I took delivery. But I have had no issues with keeping the wheel in the ground. Maybe it's my body position or something. I have about 1500 miles on it felt light at the front only once. It feels planted, even when at full acceleration.
Those guys are doing "clutch" wheelies most of the time, not power wheelies. You would have to accidently pop the clutch with some rpm's going to get air doing that. 
To get a power wheelie you would have to twist the throttle quickly and fairly far at the right speed (and gear) and it is unlikely you would do this accidently under normal riding conditions unless you really screwed up.

Databyter

• Premium Member
I was riding with a passenger and I unintentionally had the front lift up a few times, wasn't even full throttle. (I'm not a carless or reckless rider).
That would do it. You're really changing the front to back center of balance. Heavy bags also make for a wheelie machine. (thinks of Charley Boorman in Long Way Round). That's why a lot of guys who like doing wheelies like to stand on the rear passenger pegs :)

Databyter

• Premium Member
I have 900 miles on my bike now and have never lifted the front wheel. And i do get on it all the time. I've even tried to power it up in 2nd and I think it may have come up just a wheee little bit. But i do weigh 200lbs so maybe thats it.
Most guys who do this on purpose will use the front end suspension to help in the gears after first. They get going about the speed that will offer the best rpm torque then engine and/or front brake slow to compress the front forks then accelerate hard from the bottom to ride the bounce back up into a wheelie. 
It also helps if you grip the throttle way back from Arkansas so that full throttle is just a bit past normal and throttle off is a reach (or buy the quicker throttle tube). Yea, I know, dangerous. That's why I haven't tried it yet, but I have watched about 20 wheelie tutorials, because it interests me.

Databyter

• Premium Member

Wait so help me out here, am i supposed to roll on the throttle steadily but fast or just snap it open? Cause snapping it open just feels wrong :D
Well, it all depends on what you want to do.. Lol If you want to do a wheelie while accelerating, you roll the throttle steady but fast, with maybe a small snap to get the wheel up in the first place. If you just want to do a show-off wheelie that only lasts about 10 feet, snap the throttle and try to ride it out. remember to keep your foot covering the rear break and be prepared to slam the front down if you feel yourself starting to 12 o'clock. Another method that takes some practice it pulling in the clutch, revving the engine up to about 5000 RPM or so, and releasing the clutch. It's more complicated than that, but that's the general idea. You can search the YouTube for videos regarding this technique.
Safety Tip : Let me just say that Allan means while your bike is already moving. This is not the stoplight technique.

Databyter

Another method that takes some practice it pulling in the clutch, revving the engine up to about 5000 RPM or so, and releasing the clutch.

Yeah, Specifically this one. Never do this from a standstill. Haha

• Premium Member
I want to wheelie but I am more concerned about what to do when the wheel is in the air. How do I safely bring the FZ-07's wheel down?
Unless you are at the balance point, and 99% of wheelies are not, you need to accelerate to keep the wheel in the air. Simply keeping an even throttle will allow the wheel to come down. Just before it touches down give a dash of acceleration to give the front suspension a lighter landing. 
If you need to bring it down quicker let off the throttle or even tap the rear brake if needed, but it's really not recommended to go from wheelie to engine breaking/rear breaking. That is kinda violent, hard on you, hard on the bike, and reduces control stability.

On the other hand if you need the wheelie down for safety, don't worry about your suspension, it can take a few hits. But ideally a dash of throttle just before touchdown will land the wheel on a feather bed, and keep you in control and in a fairly neutral suspension position.

EDITED IN P.S. Make sure your wheel is facing forward when it touches down. It will make your day much better.

Disclaimer: I am a newb. I just read a lot and watch a lot of tutorials, and am good with physics.

Databyter

• Premium Member

I'm not a wheelie fan...my front wheel will come up about 5 inches under hard acceleration or if I time it rig ht I can pick up the front wheel a few inches coming outta a corner banging gears... I even put my rear shock at setting [HASH]1 to let the back end squat and stay squatted under hard acceleration....

Archived